5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly Brilliant
As someone with musical tastes firmly routed in 70's rock I have a rather tangential relationship with modern `heavy' music. So often, it seems to consist of little more than `grungy' chords, predicated and punctuated by a vocalist who merely shouts or growls, and as such I tend to avoid it.
So how did I discover Arven? I received an Amazon `recommendation' based on...
Published 18 months ago by Senlac

3.0 out of 5 stars Symphonic Girl band prog with Male drummer
Published 14 months ago by Prog Pensioner

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly Brilliant, 9 Jan. 2014
Senlac (West Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black Is the Colour -Ltd- (Audio CD)
So how did I discover Arven? I received an Amazon `recommendation' based on me liking `Pythia'. Upon checking out their music that was available on line, I liked what I heard and decided to give them a try and buy this CD - I am so glad I did.
Arven are an excellent group of highly talented musicians / songwriters who sound as tight as a new packet of Rizlas, the ensemble overarched by an exquisite vocal, the clarity of which is stunning.
The CD comes with a sticker saying "in the vein of" a bunch of bands I'd never heard or heard of, so for those of you Luddites like me, I give the following analogy. To my ears, there are guitar riffs Maiden would be proud of, with echoes of Tull in their pomp, mixed with a hint of Magnum and a touch of Blackmore's Night - and I mean this as a compliment.
This is a superb album (as is its predecessor Music Of Light), which I've played every day (several times a day) since receiving it; there isn't a track on it which makes me press the 'Skip' button. I believe this is the best band to have come from Germany since the Scorpions; and if they play some dates in the UK, this old rocker will don his bullet belt and Lewis Leather one last time and go to see them.
Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars awsome cd, 2 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Black Is the Colour -Ltd- (Audio CD)
this is the girls version of nightwish. this is a must if u like nightwish.i am playing this cd everywere i go

3.0 out of 5 stars Symphonic Girl band prog with Male drummer, 20 April 2014
This review is from: Black Is the Colour -Ltd- (Audio CD)
Bought this as it was going cheap second hand and had listened to one or two tracks Although I like the girl led vocals which are very pleasant I felt some of the tracks were a little the same and that this type of music still has its heavyweights in the likes of Nightwish,Stream of Compassion and Leaves Eyes. I will be playing again and maybe the rating will step up one grade but we will see

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album, 28 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Black Is the Colour -Ltd- (Audio CD)
Beautiful Vocals, great musicians this album is great and a must for all lovers of female fronted symphonic metal bands.
If you love Within Temptation, Nightwish, Delian and there ilk this a must buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Black is the colour, 16 Jan. 2015
Amazon Customer (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Black Is the Colour (Audio CD)
A mixture of female vocals and metal music with a touch of Epica. I have tried to find something that I do not like about this album and I have failed. I have listened to it several times and I will look out now for any other albums that they have done. Great album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, 30 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Black Is the Colour -Ltd- (Audio CD)
I was looking forward to this album ,since I loved the first one.This one a little bit different ,less folk elements,but still a very good album.The production is great ,better then many these days.The vocal mix in not hidden in the mix.I hope they stay together and release many more great albums.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good, 18 May 2015
Great album

Black Is the Colour -Ltd-
Black Is the Colour -Ltd- by Arven (Audio CD - 2013)