5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent as long as you prepare the filter properly
Published 12 months ago by S. Moseley

2.0 out of 5 stars Brita Fill & Go vs Bobble
I saw the Brita Fill & Go bottle (and 4 filters) in my local Boots. Having used Bobble bottles before, I thought the Brita version would be more popular and therefore it would be easier to get hold of the filters - though readily available on Amazon (and cheaper), the Bobble filters are pretty rare on the high street.

I thought the Brita bottle quite...
Published on 1 July 2013 by J. Tremlett

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent as long as you prepare the filter properly, 10 Jun. 2014
S. Moseley (Warrington,, Cheshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
When I first set up my bottle with the filter I had the same awful experience that the one star rating reviewers had. It was hard to drink from, hardly any water came out - it was mixed with air and it had an unpleasant taste. So why the 5 star review? Since so many people were raving about it I thought I must be doing something wrong and read the instructions again. It says to run the filter under the tap for 30 seconds which I had done. I ran the filter under the tap again for at least a minute making sure it was completely saturated. What a difference! Suddenly I had a 5 star bottle! So before taking your bottle to the recycling centre as another reviewer did, or returning it for a refund, try running your filter under cold water, both sides for a minute or so. It makes all the difference in the world.

The video shows a girl drinking from the bottle by tipping it up while it has the straw in. You can't actually do this. If you want to drink by tipping it up then you have to take the straw out. If you leave the straw in, hold the bottle upright, like you would if you were drinking with a straw from a glass.

2.0 out of 5 stars Brita Fill & Go vs Bobble, 1 July 2013
J. Tremlett (Epsom, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BRITA Fill&Go Water Filter Bottle including 4 Filter Discs - Blue (Kitchen & Home)

I thought the Brita bottle quite attractive and though the bottle is large, the filters are small and don't take up as much room in the bottle as the Bobble version. That was definitely a plus point for me, as the smaller Bobble bottles, whilst more convenient for certain trips etc, don't hold as much water as they should due to the size of the filter. Therefore they have to be filled up more often.

I thought with their history, Brita would have designed a decent bottle. Sadly I was wrong. As others have touched on, it is hard to drink through even when upright (and yes I have tried tightening the lid and re-inserting the filter etc). I suppose I could live with the fact that you have to hold it upright all the time, which doesn't really seem natural, IF the spout made it easier to do so (you have to lean over it) and it STILL wasn't a struggle to get a decent amount of liquid through. Not only that, as others have also touched upon, it leaks. Which makes it hopeless to take travelling where it is likely the bottle would be tipped up at some point. In comparison, with the spout down and the cap on as an extra (mostly unnecessary) precaution, my Bobble bottles never leak.

Another negative against the Fill & Go is that the filters only last 1 week. In contrast the Bobble filters last 2 months, which is great for holidays. Perhaps because they have been around longer, the Bobble filters also work out cheaper.

In summary, I am very disappointed in the Fill & Go. I really think that Brita will need to go back to the drawing board if this is to become popular as, as it currently stands, it is expensive and poorly designed.

For what it is worth, and for those who are considering both brands, here is a pro list for the Bobble and Fill & Go:

Bobble bottle pros:

1. Bottles come in a variety of sizes
2. Filters last 2 months before they need changing
3. The spouts don't leak and together with the cap are watertight in a bag if turned upside down
4. The filters/bottles are currently cheaper than Fill & Go
5. Bottles can be drunk from like a normal bottle - i.e. tipped up!

Bobble bottle Cons

1. Filters take up a large percentage of the bottle (smaller bottles)
2. The filters are harder to find on the high street, though Amazon is the cheapest solution

Britta Fill & Go pros

1. Filters are smaller and take up less room in the bottle
2. Brita is a more popular brand on the high street and therefore the filters MAY be more readily available.

Brita Fill & Go Cons

1. Bottles only come in one size (at present) - large.
2. Bottles leak, even when the cap is on correctly
3. Bottles have to be held upright for any water to be drawn
4. Filters have to be changed every week.

5.0 out of 5 stars So much better than Bobble, 9 Sept. 2014
L. Birch - See all my reviews
Having read the reviews here I was wary of buying this so I got a Bobble instead. Well, that was a waste of money - the Bobble made such a racket after drinking as it sucked the air back in that it got embarassing to use in public.

So I decided to try the Brita one despite the bad reviews. So so so much better. I really don't understand how people have so much trouble using it. Yes, you have to suck slightly harder than if you were drinking from a glass through a straw but nowhere near as hard as with the Bobble. The Brita has a teeny hole which allows air to get into the bottle to replace the water you're drinking, which is what makes it easier and quieter than the Bobble. It also means the bottle doesn't need to be flexible, which I think will make it last longer. However, this hole doesn't leak, and from the few days I've been using it, the bottle on the whole seems to be leak-free.

Some people seem to have difficulty with the straw - but it's not complicated, either you drink with the straw in which case you keep it relatively upright (but not uncomfortably so - I certainly don't have to lean over it to drink), or you remove the straw and can drink from it like a normal bottle (I haven't tried this, the straw is fine for me). Obviously the straw is going to be 'too long' if you also tip the bottle up - just because it has a lid around the straw, doesn't mean the water will defy gravity and flow upwards.

As to the complaints about the cost of the filters (which one reviewer referred to as a 'scam' - really?) it works out as about £50 a year (based on one a week) which really doesn't seem like a huge amount of money to me. Perhaps the Bobble is cheaper, I haven't even looked at the cost of replacement filters because I won't be using them.

So overall, the Brita bottle is, in my experience, sturdier, quieter and easier to use than the Bobble and I'd definitely recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Soak your filter properly!, 8 Jan. 2015
Ive had my fill and go about 2 weeks and I love it.. I've gone from drinking no water to drinking at least one of these a day.. My aim is for 3 a day! I've stopped drinking pop and feel much better for it.. For those struggling with it, you must soak the filter throughly before using otherwise it just doesn't work! I drop a slice of lemon and lime in mine, gives it a lovely fresh flavour and isn't filtered out and also add some ice cubes if its sitting on my desk at home.. The filter doesn't need changing every week unless you are drinking more than 20 Ltrs, which I don't.. It fits In my cup holder in my car and only has a slight dribble when I put the lid on after I've filled it... It's been in my handbag and all over the place with no leaks. I've only used it with the straw and have found no issue with this at all, I've not had to have it straight to drink..I can drink at an angle and also from a partially lying down position..(lazy) Again if this is an issue for you take the filter out and soak it throughly for about a 60 seconds each side! I think this is great and works out less than a bottle of mineral water daily. No complaints from me at all!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Positive, 9 April 2014
when the straw is in the bottle it does made a bit of a noise when drinking, but it's easily removable, so doesn't need to be used 100% of the time :)

otherwise great product, I sometimes use it with and without the filter, so that I can add in a slice of lemon to give it a bit of a tangy taste

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality beware, 14 July 2013
B. Wetherilt (London, UK) - See all my reviews
After 3 weeks of use the hinge has started to break away from the lid - very disappointing for an expensive plastic bottle!

3.0 out of 5 stars Average at best, 5 Aug. 2014
Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm a little bit torn as to what to rate this but will try to do my best to explain why. This Fill & Go water bottle is I guess a great product for people who begrudge buying bottled water and this is something you can carry in your handbag (albeit a big handbag!). The idea is you fill it with tap water and then place a filter at the top of the cap. When you then drink either through the straw or straight from the bottle, the water is purified and filtered before reaching your mouth (or something along those lines).

I already have a Water Filter Jug which I keep in my fridge (as I like my water cold). However the jug takes up a lot of room and this is where the Fill & Go maybe beats the jug. It certainly takes up less room. However, although this is very easy to use and put the filter in to, I'm not sure when you are meant to tell you need to change the filter?!? It tell you 'roughly' 30 days, but I know that I will never remember that. (definitely a negative for the fill and go there).

I didn't have any problems with leaking bottles or anything like that however the one thing (and probably the most major downside) was the fact that when you choose to remove the straw (as I did), you end up feeling like an infant at bottle time! These aren't the most attractive things to drink out of that's for sure.

The bottles are sturdy and (for me anyway) don't leak. The lid is a click and pull affair but they are a little on the big side for a handbag! Overall they are okay, but could do with a lot more improvement

4.0 out of 5 stars Brita vs Bobble, 10 Feb. 2015
I have a Bobble and this Brita bottle and have used both for around a year.

I bought the brita filter when it was on promotional offer so actually cheaper than the bobble replacements when compared.
I only buy these things on offer, and there's always offers online.

Bobble:
Pros= No leaks, sport bottle cap, wont undo itself in your bag, cheap filters
Cons= Makes a noise when you stop drinking and the air comes back into the bottle as with all sports bottles,

Brita:
Pros= "Looks nice", fair price when on offers, don't make a loud noise when drinking - only a little one - more suitable for the office.
Cos = Will leak in your bag/ when not upright, cap comes off easily,

So in a nutshell, if you want for the office, get the brita, if it's for the gym/tube/bus/needs a bag then get the bottle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just read the instructions! Soak Your Dang Filter!, 31 Oct. 2014
After reading the other reviews I really have to write my own.

IF YOU BUY THIS, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. As with ANY BRITA that I've ever had, the filter needs to be soaked. Soak the filter for a minute or more. I usually add more time to insure it's clean.

If you are having trouble drinking it, try soaking the filter again. I haven't had a single problem with drinking from this (aside from sometimes forgetting when I put the straw in), so it may be that people who are having trouble haven't soaked the filter properly.

As for leaks, the only time it leaks for me is when I open the cap and turn it upside down. Leaking may come from the filter not being in properly or again from not soaking it well.

As for length that the filters last, I usually abuse my filters for longer than the instructions say. Pay attention to the quality of the water after the first week and judge for yourself how long to use the filter.

Honestly, this thing is great. My tap water finally tastes proper again. If you just read the instructions you'll probably have a much easier time than some of the people here.

3.0 out of 5 stars Paying for the BRITA brand., 25 Feb. 2015
My wife needed a bottle that she could use on the go and for the gym. I thought this would be a good fit, it is a comfortable size (not so much for exercise/running), however the filter itself somewhat hinders the suction.

The build quality is very good, using materials that are aesthetically pleasing and sturdy. The filters last a week each and it comes with 4, which is fair for the price.

It hasn't made a big impression and in truth, she has only used it once.
I've used it since for the office and to keep in my bag for commutes and it's come to better use since.

For the price, and continued expense of the filters, I wouldn't buy this product again