5.0 out of 5 stars Very flavoursome gin
Published 9 months ago by James B. Spink

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Average
It's OK, nothing to get too excited about, I had expected a more "botanical" taste but it's pretty average, Wouldn't buy again.
Published 1 month ago by tonyb

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Very flavoursome gin, 1 Oct. 2014
James B. Spink "Jim" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Brecon Botanicals Gin 70cl (Wine)
I'm not really a big gin drinker – much preferring a nice glass of whisk(e)y. However, I don't mind the occasional G&T and as I had been impressed by Penderyn's whisky I thought I would give their Botanical gin a try too. This gin came up as one of Amazon's Lightning Deals so I got a bottle in for Christmas and obviously had to try it in order to review it! It does have a very distinctive botanical flavour and will appeal to those gin drinkers preferring Bombay Sapphire to Gordons. The Brecon Botanicals is a premium gin but is available from Amazon at a reasonable price – all the better as a Lightning Deal should you be so lucky. If you are partial to your G&T then I would certainly recommend trying this rather distinctively flavoured and slightly unusual gin – probably one your friends haven't seen yet! Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars A New Favourite, 19 Jun. 2015
Donald Thompson "waldo357" (Belfast N Ireland) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The packaging is lean and clean, displaying the constituent parts attractively.
Taken neat this gin has a distinct but rounded flavour, is easy on the nose and its blend is surprisingly smooth (even without the mixer it is not too overpowering).
While not as perfumed as say Gordons or even Bombay Sapphire, it has a refreshing traditional juniper core with hints of spice & citrus coming through, completely without harshness.
My preference is to drink it long with loads of ice, Fever Tree tonic and a squeeze of fresh lime - enhancing the citrus elements - it is crisp yet subtle and tastes fantastic.
I was impressed by the whole refreshing experience of tasting this well balanced gin and would certainly rate it as a new favourite of mine.

4.0 out of 5 stars A light and smooth gin, 8 Jun. 2015
R. M. Lindley - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm surprised by some of the reviews on this gin. We tried it in a taste-off with Hendricks and Sipsmiths.

The Brecon in comparison to Hendricks had less of a citrus overtone, was sweeter when mixed with tonic and smoother overall, which was surprising. Perhaps because of this it seems less complex than Hendricks , but was more so than the Sipsmith. In fact, this gin is smooth enough to be very palatable without tonic at all, which for me puts it up there with some very good gins indeed.

Ultimately however for me Brecon Botanical was a tad too sweet and lacking in depth compared to Monkey 47 for instance , hence the 4 star review. This is a gin I'd give to someone who was unsure about whether they liked gin at all.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great gift, quite subtle and clearly good quality., 2 July 2015
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm not a big gin drinker but was keen to sample this as the description indicates a premium product, and if I'm going to have gin - I don't want budget gin I could strip paint with.

I guess when you think 'gin', you immediately think 'tonic' - I can't stand tonic. To me it tastes like the kind of stuff you'd put on your fingers to stop you from chewing your nails. So I tried this mixed with various drinks and ultimately preferred it neat.

This isn't a harsh drink, it tastes quite floral and quite sweet. This maybe limits the mixing ability, for example - when mixed with elderflower cordial it seemed a bit too sweet. The natural sweetness and delicate flavour means that it makes a nice shot or short with ice.

In a nutshell: The bottle itself looks very nice and this would make a great looking gift, it has the appearance of a premium product and it tastes premium too. Those used to strong gin may find this a tad mild (but it does have a kick)

4.0 out of 5 stars smooth and fresh, 8 July 2015
Amazon Customer (Doncaster) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am not a Gin drinker normally but this was a nice and refreshing drop that was a pleasant change from my usual tipple of whisky.

I initially tried this neat and it had a bit of a kick on the back end but was smooth up front and had a fresh smell and taste.

After a few sips neat I decided to add some apple juice to the glass and this was a very nice combination, became very easy to sup.

I don't know Gin to compare this to other varieties of gin but this certainly has the taste or a quality drink.

addendum:

I ended up giving this to a Gin drinking friend who was very pleased with its quality and felt that its price was very reasonable for the quality you get.

5.0 out of 5 stars now I know what they do with all the rain water in brecon, 7 July 2015
Mr. Pj Williams (cardiff uk) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
having tasted alot of gins over the years I was pleasently surprised to find this one was smoother than most and dry without being overly bitter and also lacked the aftertaste of others more established that I wont mention . it was delight with tonic and bitter lemon, in fact that sort of became the problem. we didnt notice how quickly we were drinking it because it was so nice we kept making another.

I have to admit to being welsh but that in no way impaired my judgement ( not until after I had had a few drinks at least)

no heavy machinery was used during the testing for this review, apart from a glass

will be my gin of choice for a while at least, really enjoyed it

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent gin, perfect for summer barbecues., 23 July 2015
This review is from: Brecon Botanicals Gin 70cl (Wine)
As a bar owner with a particular affinity for gins, I had heard about this offering prior to it winning a Gold rating at the annual industry awards. Upon trying it, the experience received was a very balanced citrus base with fresh spice notes. I'd recommend this combined with a good quality tonic water over ice, with fresh lime or cucumber, where the result is outstanding. It compares very favourably with gins that cost significantly more.

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb gin - and ANOTHER great product from Penderyn, 30 May 2015
D. Richards (South Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is one of THE best Gin's I've ever had.

I've been lucky to have been aware of this gin for quite a while now, ever since its first release a few years ago when I was on a visit to the Penderyn distillery. There was much hype about this blend around the time of its release and this has been validated by it winning the Gin Trophy (Top Award) at the International Spirits Challenge 2014. As well as myself, everyone I know who's tasted this gin has loved it.

The botanicals blend is very different from the reserve blend produced by Penderyn, as it has a mixture of juniper, coriander, citrus and oriental spices as well as a traditional gin mix. The taste is very different to what else is on the market, and while it sounds like a "busy" mix of ingredients, its not too powerful or overwhelming and the taste is very balanced indeed. If you add a mixer the taste expands even further to include the citrus, bergamot, well as hints of cinnamon, clove and saffron, which again are not too overwhelming but add a nice twist to the traditional gin taste.

This is perfect to drink at any time of the year, but is a VERY nice drink to have for the summer BBQs and cocktail parties where the botanical taste seems to work best.

Overall a SUPEB product and one which I'd recommend 100%

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a summer afternoon., 6 July 2015
T. J. Bacon "TJB" (London UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm really not sure what to say. I'm not a gin expert. However it tastes very nice. It has a definite aromatic quality to it. And feel crisp and fresh. It is perfect for a summer afternoon and seems to be of fine quality, that has yet to result in any bad after affects.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best ever!!!, 3 July 2015
This review is from: Brecon Botanicals Gin 70cl (Wine)
The best Gin Every. If you haven't tried it then grab a bottle.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›