4.0 out of 5 stars Facile Weekend Romance Followed by a Marital Challenge
Travis Parker is a good-hearted man with lots of friends, but he's never found the right woman. His complaint? They all depend on him too much for choices.

Published on 30 Oct 2007 by Donald Mitchell

I've not read too many of Sparks' other novels before- aside from `The Notebook' and `A walk to remember,' coincidentally both of which have been made into brilliant, albeit `weepy' films. It was safe to say that with this one I was anticipating another tear-jerker.

Published on 22 Jun 2010 by Nicola F (Nic)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Facile Weekend Romance Followed by a Marital Challenge, 30 Oct 2007
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Choice (Hardcover)

Life quickly changes for Travis when irate Gabby Holland, his next-door neighbor, barges into his life to complain about his dog. One thing leads to another, and the two spend an increasingly compatible weekend together that leads to mutual appreciation.

Many years later, something unexpected happens that forces Travis to make one of those decisions that none of us ever want to make. I can't tell you more without spoiling the story.

It's a very bizarre book in terms of structure . . . less than bare bones. You spend most of the book on having two people become acquainted in a few days and then fast forward into one point in the future. It's like reading two acts of a five act play (the first and last). I would have enjoyed the book a lot more if it had covered more ground in the book, rather than in my head.

I also didn't like the ending all that much. I won't say more.

If you are a big Nicholas Sparks fan, you'll probably enjoy the book . . . but don't expect anything special except in terms of the ways he describes Travis as a model for men to emulate . . . and women to appreciate.

Be patient, kind, and considerate . . . always.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for a bloke!!!!, 4 Aug 2008
This review is from: The Choice (Paperback)
One of my fave films is 'The Notebook' so popped into my local library to borrow a copy for my jollies. They didn't have it in BUT they did have this,'The Choice' so I borrowed it.
My usual choice of reading is chick lit - I worship at the altar of Chris Manby, Sophie Kinsella and Jill Mansell, so I was intrigued to see what I would make of this, and you know what? It ain't half bad!
I'm always a bit sceptical about reading books written by men - what do they know about shopping, shoes and relationships?? Nicholas Sparks has converted me though. So okay, there isn't much shopping and shoes, but he writes about relationships with feeling and insight. He could almost be a bird! The story is a tad predictable, but at the end, it really had me guessing (although that could be because I'm not very intuative!) Very easy and relaxing to read, ideal for long, hot summer nights with a glass of chilled wine in one hand and a bar of chocolate in the other.
Nicholas, I salute you, and I shall continue to read more of your fab novels. 'The Notebook' should be in my local library this Wednesday - I am counting down the hours.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight and enjoyable, 10 Jun 2008
This review is from: The Choice (Paperback)
When i first looked at the cover in my local library, I was intrigued. I read the blurb and thought I might as well give it a try. I've never read any of Nicholas Sparks' stuff before, but I'd certainly heard of The Notebook and A Walk To Remember due to them being favorite films among my friends.

Reading it, I found that it was very lightweight and does not require a lot of concentration. The story was pretty predictable, but it was well worth reading. You can relate to the main characters, Gabby and Trevor, because they are very true to life characters.

It has encouraged me to read more of the author's books. A great summer book!

4.0 out of 5 stars What can i say, its absolutely beautiful, 10 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Choice (Kindle Edition)
I never fail to be amused but this author. Like the others i have read i was amazed and although i thought the ending was a bit unrealistic i didnt mind because i prefer novels with a great ending like this one, why should it be realistic when its a book you get into and hope to be the character in it. Its an intriguing and exquisite novel and definitely should be considered reading.

3.0 out of 5 stars In hindsight, my choice should have been to read something better..., 22 Jun 2010
Nicola F (Nic) (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Choice (Paperback)

In this novel, commitment-phobic Veterinarian Travis and his pretty new neighbour, doctor Gabby, don't exactly get off to the best of starts. An initial misunderstanding leads to an air of awkwardness between them, which is at times funny and sweet, albeit predictable. After the initial humour and romance however, the book soon veers off into Picoult-esque territory with a heartbreaking turn of events which causes Travis to have to make the most difficult of choices.

The book started out promisingly enough and held my attention all the way through- the characters are fairly likeable and the coastal setting added another dimension to the novel. Unfortunately however, for me the ending was just too contrived; without giving anything away, it felt as if it was pandering to the audience, rather than what should have or *would have* happened and the event itself (the supposed premise of the story) seemed pretty glossed over and therefore ruined what was a fairly decent romance novel. For that reason, I'm giving it three stars. A good beach read admittedly, but I certainly didn't need any tissues!

3.0 out of 5 stars Could do better, 24 Aug 2008
rhian_eve (Swansea, Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Choice (Paperback)
I've been aware of Nicolas Sparks since my teenage years and distinctly remember devouring A Walk to Remember on a Greek beach the summer I graduated from school. Since then I've known that his novels are not 'whenever, wherever' creations - I, at least, have to be willing to cry to read them. They fit a certain masochistic mood that will always leave the reader in tears but believing in the hopeful love he depicts.

The Choice is separated into two parts, the first centred on the beginning of Travis and Gabby's relationship. She has recently moved next door to him; things get off to a bad start when she accuses his dog of getting her collie pregnant. After a few personality mishaps they agree to start over again, fall crazily in love in the space of week and this section ends with Gabby left to make a decision.

The second part of the book moves us 11 years into the present and it is Travis' turn to make a decision. This is where the tears began, thank the lord it was shorter than the first half otherwise I might not have emerged from the tissue box for days. While the first half of the novel detailed how they came together Gabby's choice was inevitable. It is here, in the part two, that the reader must ask themselves the same question as Travis does. Could you do what he must? Sparks introduces this question cleverly as he has the readers' mind going down a completely different path before revealing what Travis is facing. Cunning, to say the least. What he best succeeds at here is emphasising the importance of the choices that we make. Particularly effective is that there are two almost identical choices made, I can only mention it in passing as to give more would could completely spoil the premise of the novel but it is extremely effective in getting the reader and the protagonist to consider all possible outcomes.

The above being said this was not the Sparks that I'm used to. There was a superficial depth to the novel that when you scraped at it came away. It's not the epic tale of love, endurance and loss that this author usually produces and I'm inclined to say that the intensity I'm used to from Sparks was missing (which is not to say that there were no tears, just fewer of them). It is due to this diminished intensity and the knowledge that he can do better that I have awarded this novel three stars (three and a half realy)- while good; The Choice was lacking in places.

4.0 out of 5 stars keeping hope alive, 7 Jun 2011
Lindymck (Falkirk, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Choice (Hardcover)
the book is split 2 parts. first part tells the story of travis and gabby who start out as neighbours but as time goes by and one special weekend they become a couple. gabby already has a boyfriend but its not progressing to her liking. while reading this you are rooting for travis to get the girl. the second part is more sad as there has been an accident and life has changed dramatically for gabby, travis and their 2 girls. not wanting to give the plot away it focusses on the choice they have to make. will they make it or not? do they believe in their love to keep them together????

5.0 out of 5 stars the choice, 8 Sep 2010
This review is from: The Choice (Paperback)
make the choice and read this.
it's another of the brilliant nicholas sparks stories that get to you.

(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Choice (Paperback)

I also didn't like the ending all that much. I won't say more.

Be patient, kind, and considerate . . . always.

4.0 out of 5 stars Your Summer Read!, 5 July 2014
This review is from: The Choice (Paperback)
Gazing at my film collection, it was rather evident that I had most of Nicholas Sparks film adaptions. Yet, why had I not read any of his novels? Therefore it was time to pursue one; after a little research I discovered that Sparks himself recommends reading The Choice for beginner's. Having not (yet) been made into a film adaption It was beginning to tickle my taste buds along with the fact that I was intrigued by the synopsis, so it was deemed appropriate to make an Amazon order.

In honesty, before I knew it, I was well into the novel and I couldn't put it down. If you admire the rare romantic read with a lingering curiosity between the pages this is a novel you should purchase (Go on....why not?).

We are introduced with Travis to begin with, in the present of 2007. For Part One of the novel we go back a little to 1996 where we soak up the life of both Travis and Gabby. We constantly question the direction and the link with the present.

Travis has quite frankly an adequate life.....a good job, a nice house, good friends and he is generally content with this. But while his closest and dearest friends are married and in the process of building a family you can tell that Travis somehow wants this. But he has no interest of settling down just yet.

He's had a bunch of girlfriends where non have quite managed to steel his heart. That all changes when Gabby, a mysterious red-head moves in next door. Despite his best efforts and her demonstration of dislike towards him, they is still something about Gabby that wont leave Travis alone.

Both out protagonist's are faced with choices that will deeply have some impact. In critique, while they are some coincidence's and predictions you don't know what to expect 'really' with Nicholas's work. Overall I found the novel to be a pleasant summer read, it made me want to leave my sofa and start trying new things...yes, really.

You find yourself: hoping, feeling the summer air, filled with light laughter and many cheesy smiles throughout.

For my first novel from Sparks I was impressed. Majestic writing and a thoughtful plot I am certainly willing to try out more. I think Sparks knows what a woman wants out of life and it is a fine job from a man himself. The Choice is considered one of his best novels, we come to love all the characters quite easily. I will have to put myself to the test to see if it lives up to that.

Are you up for it?