on 7 June 2013
Good follow up to wool would recommend reading. Can't wait to read the third in the series. Shall look for more of his work.
on 1 June 2015
Gets better as you go along. Bit confusing at the beginning but much more interesting towards the end of you stick with it.
on 7 February 2014
An excellent use of a prequel and every bit as well written as the first book. Can't wait to read the end of the story now!
on 1 May 2013
Well worth read. It answers some of the questions from the first book and leaves you wanting more, can't ask for much more!
on 11 September 2015
This is a great sequal... It posts some interesting questions about society as a whole and our place in it. A worthy read.
on 5 November 2013
Enjoyable read. Takes a while for me to really get in to it, but pleased I stuck with it. Looking forward to the last one.
on 12 June 2013
The title says it all .Already preordered Dust the final part of the trilogy
Shift explains how the silos came to be
on 13 November 2013
Brilliant. All the background info to make wool an even better re-read. A Very compelling read. Looking forward to dust.
on 29 April 2013
Excellent second installment to Hugh Howey's dystopian trilogy. I think he is one of the best self-published authors around and completely deserves his success. These books are original, captivating and beautifully written.
on 7 August 2013
Shift is the second book in the trilogy by Hugh Howey. It is split into three parts, 'shifts', which act as a prequel, and parallel story, to the events in Wool. We follow Donald, the unwitting architect of the silos, throughout the whole timeline. Alongside this, we learn more about Solo's time before Juliette's arrival, one of the earlier uprisings in Silo 18 and of course, how the silos came to be and why.

I found this book much less enjoyable than Wool. Its structure meant it was fairly disjointed, and I found Donald to be a bit boring and very naive considering he was a politician! Mission was probably the most interesting new character, but I guess that's probably since he was in some ways similar to Juliette. I would say the Silo 17 sections were most enjoyable, but since I knew how that would end, some of the tension was lost.

I was full of enthusiasm after reading Wool, and while Shift was a reasonable read, revealing more about the world around the silos, I was slightly disappointed after such a good start. I did reconsider buying the next book but I've already preordered on Kindle! Hopefully Dust will live up to the first book in the trilogy.