5.0 out of 5 stars awesome
As a new mum to a 10 week old girl, this book was perfect. Scrap that. It was Good Enough!!
Published 12 months ago by helhcwo

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a book for me!
Published 23 months ago by Chloe S "Chick Lit Chloe"

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, 29 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Mums Like Us (Kindle Edition)

4.0 out of 5 stars You may find that you're "Good enough", 14 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Mums Like Us (Kindle Edition)
This is chick lit for mum's. It made me laugh and there were elements where i thought "That's my life". A readable book that you fit in around any mum's life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mums Like Us, 20 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Mums Like Us (Paperback)
Brilliantly witty, not to mention very original. I loved every minute of this. She's a funny girl is Kemp. Thoroughly recommend :)

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a book for me!, 9 Mar. 2013
Chloe S "Chick Lit Chloe" (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Mums Like Us (Paperback)
The book began quite well, although from the beginning I struggled to get over the very bizarre narrative that I just did not like at all. It was written in the first person from the point of view of Stella, the chairwoman of 'Mums Like Us', a new mums club based around the idea that no mother is perfect and we're all just getting by! The narrative is addressing the members of the club, which is really weird and I found it hard to like it, I couldn't settle into it and that was a shame right from the beginning. She was directly addressing them throughout, even so far as to point out where the biscuits were in her kitchen and other things that just didn't work for me.

Oddly though, Stella's husband Matt makes infrequent posts throughout the book, on his dad's football club blog and I really enjoyed these. Actually, I enjoyed these much more than Stella's story, and for some reason, his narrative worked so well. He was funny, and kind and I really liked Matt. Stella on the other hand, well. She tries to be the 'every woman' but I just didn't like her. Yes, some of the things she said ran true for me but others were written just to be inflammatory or to really poke fun at the mum's who do like to dress up, have the best for their kids, and I didn't particularly enjoy that side of it, although I have to confess 'smugaboo' did make me giggle.

My really huge problem with the book was its unrealistic story and progression. Stella went from being a normal mum doing normal things with her life, to a virtual media magnate, with exclusive access to the Prime Minister (!!), appearances on national television and a million pound selling calendar, all in a ridiculously small space of time and for silly reasons. I found myself getting more and more annoyed by it as I was reading, and there were times I was ready to give up on it. Yes, I know it's fiction, but I like a certain amount of believability in my books and I didn't feel that was there at all in this book. I disliked Stella the more I read on, and as things got completely silly, I just wanted to get to the end simply so I would know how the loose ends would be tied up, and also what would happen to Matt, probably the only one in the book I liked.

I was so disappointed by this book, especially as I had such high hopes for it. I found the narrative annoying, the main character particularly detestable and I didn't enjoy how unrealistic it was at all. As I said, I do know its fiction but it really wasn't for me simply because it wasn't a believable look at a parenting club, much like other books I've read on the subject. While it was at times funny, and I could relate to several of the parenting quips made in the book and I did laugh a few times, the bad far outweighed the good for me and I was left with a bit of a sour taste in my mouth afterwards. Sadly, it wasn't a debut novel I enjoyed that much, and would struggle to recommend!

1.0 out of 5 stars Just awful cliche-riddled rubbish, 25 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Mums Like Us (Paperback)
I've never put down a novel (or very rarely) but this one I stopped reading about a quarter of the way in. It is neither smart nor clever. The cliches fall off the pages thick and fast. I literally cringed while reading it and in the end decided life is too short. I am a HUGE fan of chick lit and will defend it as a genre to the death (almost!) - but this isn't a great example of it (or the sub genre yummy-mummy lit). To balance out this rather brutal review I do however like and enjoy the author's pieces in the Daily Mail. First time mums might enjoy it...at a push. Sorry definitely not for this lover of chick lit.

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't enjoy this one :-(, 11 Mar. 2013
Sharon (Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Mums Like Us (Paperback)
Stella Smith is your steroetypical mum who's trying to do fifty million things at once and failing so sets up a group for like-minded women called 'Mums Like Us' where they could celebrate the fact that they're ordinary women and will never be 'Mother Superiors' - women who never step outside of their front door without looking perfect from head to toe.

Soon their small quiet group becomes big news and Stella is thrust into the media spotlight with invites to meet the prime minister, appear on television shows, offered a makeover as well as being invited to the US to meet the First Lady. But will this new found fame change Stella or will she remain happy with her lot?

I found this a really hard book to get into mainly due to the way it's been written, the majority of the book is narrated in newsletters from Stella to the group. But there's also emails from her husband Matt to his 'Dads United' football teamates as well as emails to his brother which I actually enjoyed reading more than I did reading Stella's rambles.

If I'm honest I wasn't really sure about how I'd get on with Mums Like Us not being a mum myself and have to confess that it's the hardest review I've had to write as I really didn't enjoy the book at all. I don't think it had anything to do with me not being a mum, as I've been around enough friends and their kids to get a feel of how much organisation it takes to sometimes just get outside the front door, but think it's just I found the whole storyline and the way it's been written a bit bizarre.

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest, funny and insightful - highly recommend, 16 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Mums Like Us (Paperback)
A very honest, funny and insightful look at parenting which will resonate and entertain all those that struggle to juggle the demands of motherhood.

A great book which I would highly recommend.

3.0 out of 5 stars One Mums will love!, 18 Mar. 2013
Leah Graham (Tenerife) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Mums Like Us (Paperback)
When I heard about Mums Like Us, I wasn't sure if it was really the book for me. I'm 22, no where near being a mother (if I ever will) but I really, really liked the synopsis for the novel. I loved Stella's open letter to all mothers out there, and I admit, I was intrigued about mothers who aren't perfect, because at the end of the day, that's 90% of mothers, isn't it? Yet the only mothers you ever read about seem to be the so-called Mother Superiors, so I was really looking forward to reading about a normal mother for a change.

Mums Like Us is possibly one of the most uniquely written books, ever. It's written in a way I don't even know how to describe. In fact, I asked Laura how she would describe it and she said chatty, as if you're there in Stella's kitchen and that sums it up perfectly. It isn't written traditionally, the way a normal book is written, the entire novel is pretty much in the same vein as the synopsis. It's like you're sat there in Stella's kitchen, like you're part of the Mums Like Us group. I'll be honest, it's a bit weird at first, but I soon got used to it and it definitely makes the novel stand out because it's not a writing style you'll come across very often.

I found the novel a bit overwhelming if I'm honest, not having any experience of being a mother, this book sort of put me off. It sounds awful - sure, kids are undoubtedly the best thing you can ever have, if you're that way inclined, but man! It sounds like hard work. But I liked the book, it didn't resonate with me the way it will resonate with most, and mothers EVERYWHERE will be nodding at everything Stella believes in, because it's very real. I love the idea that mothers don't have to be absolutely fantastic at everything, and I loved that there's nothing wrong with feeding your child fish fingers (I love fish fingers, grew up with them in fact). I also liked that we didn't just get Stella's point of view of being a mum, but also Matt's view on being a Dad, I thought that was ace, and I would have liked more of him because I thoroughly enjoyed his emails to his brother and his pep talks for his football team.

I really enjoyed Mums Like Us. It surprised me, and I loved it. I loved the writing style, I enjoyed the Mums Like Us campaign, though I had my ups and downs with chairwoman Stella, she's a bit intense. And perhaps a bit bonkers. But overall I enjoyed the novel. I'll definitely be checking out Kemp's second novel when it comes out next year, Mums on Strike, it'll be interesting if she carries on the same writing style from Mums Like Us or if it'll be more of a traditionally written novel. Either way is fine with me. This is a book that will resonate with mothers worldwide, and I love that, I love that this is a book that speaks to real, normal people, and if I ever have kids, I will definitely be a Mum Like Us and not a Mother Superior.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mums like Us, 10 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Mums Like Us (Paperback)
At last, a book that reveals all the ins and outs of an everyday mum - warts an' all! An hysterical read which will make every mum snort with recognition and sigh with relief! With easy bite-size chapters, it is a pure delight for those of us who only get a brief chance to read between removing babyfood from our hair and lego pieces from the toilet bowl. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars A absolute must!, 12 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Mums Like Us (Paperback)
Warm and witty and oh so true. Any mum who feels not quite good enough should read this book. By the end of it you will feel comforted and safe in the knowledge that you are not alone. A very clever observation of the highs and lows of motherhood, and the need for good like minded friends. A must read!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›