Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.99

on 20 June 2016
Excellent book marketed under a different title. I actually already had it already under individual titles: Wool - Shift and Dust. It was a little bit annoying to buy it a second time as re-titled. All being said, if you love John Wyndham or any other well written, intelligent science fiction you will enjoy this very much. A classic.
on 24 March 2013
Life within the post apocalypse silos continues. Donald has been awoken again for his third shift. Once again he makes devastating and heartbreaking decisions as he discovers more of the secrets within his brave new world of half truths and lies.

I have loved SF since I was a child and over recent years have become frustrated at the explosion of fantasy novels, and indeed interminable series, which are described as SF when to my mind they are nothing of the sort. Hugh Howey's Wool omnibus (the first five novels about life in the silos) and the three Shift novels (which continue the story) are to my mind the sort of books which should genuinely be classed as SF. The world of the silos is so believable I feel I am in there with the characters - the author captures the claustrophobia and day to day detail of the survivors' lives with total realism. These books are the most exciting addition to genuine SF I have read in a long time and I am waiting impatiently for the next volume, to see what happens with the characters were introduced in the previous books.
on 12 March 2013
This is the final third of the second volume of Shift, the second volume in the Wool trilogy. It covers two main streams, Donald in Silo 1 as he continues to unravel the secrets behind the entire WOOL project and Solo in Silo 17 as he struggles to survive following an uprising.

Both story lines are compelling and horrific in their own way. It's becoming increasingly clear that the whole WOOL project is not what it seems to be and that everyone involved is being played one way or another. Solo's story helps to flesh out his character and provides a bleak study in loneliness.

At the end of this book, the disparate streams are pulled together and I look forward to seeing how everything is tied together in the final volume, Dust.
on 3 April 2013
Every book just leaves you wanting more. I don't normally read this genre but Hugh Howeys books have converted me. The concept fascinates me as do the characters. I really hope that is a conclusion that ties up all the loose ends. You really need to read these, start with Wool, believe me, you won't regret the purchase!
on 31 March 2013
Was bit worried book might be bit dull with the life of silo but it really isn't and the story of Donald now in control makes up for any of the slower story. Donald is now taking revenge and ends the book talking to mayor Jules. Was pissed when I realised dust was not out until October.
on 14 May 2013
Howey can do no wrong, it seems, as the back story behind "Wool" is completed in this third book in the "Shift" set. I love his writing, his characters are totally believable and I can't wait for the next instalment. The folly and intrigue behind the strange worlds of the silos is finally revealed in sharp focus, and we get to see behind the scenes. Even the masterminds behind the whole setup turn out to be prisoners of a kind. I haven't been as hooked on a writer for a long time.
on 31 May 2013
The story is about the powerful doing whatever they want and about the average person being a victim and at the mercy of those who think they have the plan for the world within their grasp and control. When powerful men find themselves at the helm of the destiny of mankind, we can only hope that they are not evil men. This is an excellent book and series. I have read all of the stories and I recommend them to you as the best books I have read in 10 years.
on 25 July 2013
I read Shifts 1, 2,and 3 back to back because I really wanted to find out what would happen next. The characters are all well portrayed and likeable (or not) and I really felt for Solo and needed to know his story. Now I've finished I can't wait for the last book to be published so I can complete reading this excellent and unusual trilogy.
on 18 March 2013
The entire series is wonderful and I would reccomend it to anyone who likes dystopian, post-apocalyptic novels!!!! Hugh C Howey is incredibly talented, keep writing wonderful books please!
on 26 June 2013
hooked forever on Wool/Shift silos stories, can't wait for Dust. Must read Wool first, then start on the Shift follow-ups, you will not be able to put them down if you like sci-fi.