5.0 out of 5 stars Sex, drugs and.......fluffy trance music, who knew!
Who needs rock and roll when you've got pounding techno and melodic trance music? Not Shaun Attwood that's for sure!

Published 17 months ago by Stacey

3.0 out of 5 stars I was disappointed, I found it boring and repetitive
After reading the reviews on this book I couldn't wait to read it. I was disappointed, I found it boring and repetitive. I would not really recommend this book.
Published 1 month ago by karen hodgson

5.0 out of 5 stars Sex, drugs and.......fluffy trance music, who knew!, 24 April 2013
This review is from: Party Time (Paperback)

My first thought when I finished this book was 'how on earth is Shaun still alive and functioning as a normal human being?'. I really think that says it all. Party Time is a tale of excess on every level that left me both wishing I was part of the legendary 90's rave scene and eternally glad I'm just that little bit too young.

The scene is set brilliantly in the first chapter where Shaun documents his first experience on Ecstasy, detailing the fear and anxiety of a first time user, emotions that are swiftly melted away by euphoria in what is the very beginning of a huge downward spiral in to a world of chaos and crime.

We are then taken to the author's childhood in order to meet Wild Man. After reading Hard Time I was really pleased to find out a little more about this superhuman character and his beginnings in Shaun's life. It must be difficult to write about someone at times so fierce and charged with negative energy and retain an element of realism, it could very easily seem ridiculous given the extent of his antics but the author does a fantastic job and somehow you're left wanting to like Wild Man no matter what kind of mess he gets himself into.

We're then taken into the cut throat world of the stock market where Shaun beings to feel the thirst for making a swift dollar and is not afraid of using more 'unconventional' methods to get where he wants to be. After years of grafting in an industry he clearly excels in the howling wolves creep in and the party scene takes over his world in a big way.

A a clubber myself and a lover of all things dance music I can really appreciate some of the scenarios and characters in this book and I can't recommend it enough to my friends in the club scene. The writing is very true to form and I really struggled to put the book down once I'd started reading. It's action packed in pretty much every chapter and at no point are you left wishing things would hurry along, which is so often the case with autobiographical books like this.

I really like the way the author not only tells the story but gives us his internal monolgue in sticky situations. I think it really adds a lot to our understanding of him as a character and shows sometimes he does still have one toe on the ground.

In summary, a fantastic read and a complete page turner. Thoroughly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect prequel, 24 April 2013
This review is from: Party Time (Paperback)
Fantastic book and eye opening account into an alternative lifestyle.What starts as a seemingly harmless weekend pastime,practised by thousands the world over,develops into a rollercoaster ride of highs and mayhem,which eventually derails and leaves the author staring into the abyss.Having read the excellent yet harrowing"Hard Time"this book brilliantly blends the whole picture perfectly.Great to see the author has turned a once chaotic life around and is now a fantastic and positive influence on the youth he now lectures.Would highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read, read, read!, 21 April 2013
This review is from: Party Time (Paperback)
Party Time is a prequel to Hard Time that came out last year or the year before. Whichever way round you read them, I can guarantee that you will thoroughly enjoy them. I read Hard Time first. I was lazing in bed recovering from an operation when I read Shaun's Twitter about the new Party Time book being out, and it was just the medicine I needed.

The book briefly touches upon Shaun's childhood, brought up in a good, working class family. He introduces one of his main characters really, prominent throughout his life and both books... Wild Man, in a way that made me laugh so hard, I nearly burst my stitches. Obviously talented, a good Northern grafter, with lots of energy, and an interest in World markets, he embarks upon a promising career. He also finds clubbing at a time when the music in the North West was amazing, the clubs were pumping, and the pills were pure. The music and the drugs make him feel invincible, and he loves the feeling they give him.

He moves to the US, grafts out a career, and finds a blossoming club scene. People gravitate around him, I'd guess that he's a really nice, quite addictive guy himself. He wants other people to feel good so he starts pushing a few pills out. Some personal stress and tragedy hits, and he tries some new drugs out... work becomes less important... more people gravitate around him. He becomes a weapon of MASSIVE consumption, more people gravitate round him, the people get heavier, the risks become higher... I don't want to spoil the story.

It is seriously, one of the best books of this genre I have ever read. I've read Shaun Ryder's, Howard Marks, loads of them. Shaun's World goes from delightful to scary, and when it comes to an end... it might be too late. You will have to read it for that bit. I think someone said in their review that they couldn't put it down and they'd be absolutely, completely and unequivocally correct. Buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read!, 19 April 2013
G. Rufino - See all my reviews
This review is from: Party Time (Paperback)
A thrilling tour de force which I read in just 2 days. Shaun's second book is superbly well written, honest and gripping all the way through. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 18 April 2013
This review is from: Party Time (Paperback)
Read it quick, loved it! So well written, totally unputdownable, what a journey thro the wild ride Shaun must have experienced. A Mr Nice for the ravers generation!

5.0 out of 5 stars Party Time, 17 April 2013
This review is from: Party Time (Paperback)
I have just finished reading Party Time today, I couldn't put it down, it fulfilled all my expectations and more. Wow!!! it was Scary, Crazy, exciting and Shocking but honest about the destruction caused by the use of drugs. I am a mother of 2 having never taken drugs myself and I would highly recommend this book to anyone. A fascinating read and the highest admiration to Shaun for turning his life around after drugs and prison. I await patiently for Prison Time. I would love to see this turned into a film.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read, 11 April 2013
This review is from: Party Time (Paperback)
Fantastic - I couldn't put it down! This book is the prequel to Hard Time which focused on Shaun's time in the Arizona prison system. Party Time takes us from his childhood on a real roller coaster of a ride through his job as a successful stockbroker to his fascination and obsession with the power of drug dealing. Love, sex, drugs and violence there really is something for everyone! Delivered in the same punchy style as the first book I will be amazed if it isn't made into a film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting prequel, 9 April 2013
This review is from: Party Time (Paperback)
I hugely enjoyed Attwood's previous book Hard Time, the author's gripping account of his hellish stay in a US jail following his arrest on drug charges, and Party Time is the much-anticipated prequel that fills in a lot of the blanks.
His story really begins when he arrives as a young hopeful from the north west of England in Arizona with a dream to make a million - but he is soon yearning for the rave scene he so enjoyed back home... and the drugs that went with it. Working overtime to make it as a stockbroker, Attwood begins burning the candle at both ends as his party-mad alter ego comes to the fore, and with the pill-popping comes pill-trading, followed by big money, an entourage, a growing reputation as the town's main Ecstasy-dealer and, inevitably, a cast of nefarious characters lurking in the wings. The ambitious young man from Widnes becomes increasingly paranoid as a succession of people let him down, and when his local supremacy is challenged by violent rival gangs he realises that this is not the world he envisioned. There's no easy way out, though, when so much money and so many friendships are at stake, and his growing sense of unease/desperation is palpable. I'd have liked more information about the amounts of money that changed hands, and I also found some of his 'posse' hard to engage with, but this is a great, cautionary tale about what can happen when ambition becomes entwined with a life of crime - and a seemingly-decent guy finds himself immersed much, much deeper than he bargained for. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read!, 19 Sep 2014
This review is from: Party Time (Paperback)
Having first watched 'Banged up Abroad' I decided to buy Hard Time, Shaun's first book. Once I started reading it I could not stop. It is very well written and from how he describes his life through the books, you almost felt like you were there with him.

Party Time was as good a read and again you got sucked right in. It's amazing how he went from being a successful stockbroker, and from the outside it was like he has everything he ever wanted. He then gets back into the Ecstasy and rave scene from his younger days which then leads to him being one of/ if not the biggest dealers in Arizona, to then ending up serving a long stretch in one of Arizona's most notorious prisons. It really is eye opening!

I still have no idea how he got through all that and came out the other side.

I'm just about to start the third book 'prison time' which I am looking forward to!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic true life story, you won't want to stop reading, 14 Sep 2013
This review is from: Party Time (Paperback)
I saw an article on google about this book and the author and was intrigued. I cam on here downloaded this and the sequel hard time, plus two journals.
This book go through Shaun's life as a successful stock broker and the. His partying, clubbing , drug taking and drug dealing. It is extremely well written and so addictive you really want to just keep reading to find out what's going to happen next. It could just have easily happened to anyone in my generation, luckily I never dabbled in such things however you can see how easy with the club scene that these things can happen.
A very powerful honest book that will leave you wanting to find out what happens to Shaun next but not wanting to know coz ur scared something terrible will happen but it's gripping and a must read. Best true story I have ever read and would deffo reccomend

Party Time