5.0 out of 5 stars sheer pleasure
From the first page,and with exquisite narrative Anne Rice brings Pandora to life in your mind in full blown technocolour.
The chapter of her early life with her father,takes you all the way to how every day life was for ancient Romans.with even the trivial and mundane bringing colour and poetry to her remarkable quest for life.
I won`t dwell on the plots or...
Published on 29 Nov 2002 by Dave Bell

3.0 out of 5 stars A missed opportunity
I really enjoyed the first two Vampire chronicles books so was hoping that this would continue in that vain. Sadly that was not to be the case.

Published 1 hour ago by Martin Scoreseasy

5.0 out of 5 stars sheer pleasure, 29 Nov 2002
Dave Bell (Grove nr Wantage., Oxfordshire. United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I won`t dwell on the plots or sub-plots but to the reader,if you have read the queen of the dammed and noticed Pandora. then this book is essential reading.This story gives to vampires what Shelleys Frankenstein gives to `monsters` a simple love but pure poetry.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great vampire book., 18 Feb 2001
By A Customer
A vampire book that you will certainly read it more than once. The vampire Pandora is interviewed and she tells the enchanting story of her life. Anne Rice, beatifully describes Pandora's life in ancient Rome, Antioch, and her entrance in the vampire world. The great love story Pandora has with Marius, an old vampire that loved her since she was a little girl. I hightly recommend this book. It is going to amaze you. Believe me, you won't get any sleep until you finish it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A FASCINATING BOOK, 1 Aug 2010
Eleni - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I bought this book around the time it was first published, at the airport to keep me awake during a 4 hour flight and I could not sleep until I finished it a long time after my plane had landed. I had not read any of Rice's books before and it was this extraordinary book that got me hooked.

It tells the story of ancient patrician roman Pandora who is turned into a vampire by her lover Marius, stays with him in Antioch, helping him care for Those Who Must be Kept and survives to narrate her story to David Talbot, in Paris, more then a millennium after her creation. Anne Rice portrays a woman who is a product of her time and is strong, intelligent and indipendant. Her character is very well developed and convincing, as is her time. Through Pandora's eyes we see a very vivid and well researched presentation of Ancient Roman society; we see historical events that effected Pandora and also significant people whom she loved like Ovid, indeed it was her love for Ovid that made me like her from the beginning.

Pandora is also a major character in The Queen of the Damned: The Third Book in the Chronicles of the Vampires (Vampire Chronicles). Also her relationship with Marius and the events in Rome and Antioch are seen through his point of view in Blood And Gold: The Vampire Marius (Vampire Chronicles 08), which I think is the best of Anne Rice's vampire novels.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Vampire Pandora, 7 Oct 2007
M. A. Ramos (Florida USA) - See all my reviews
In this book Ms. Rice has Pandora write her history in the blank pages of a note book at the persuasion of David Talbot. We start in present day Paris, where David makes his request. And Pandora sems reluctant to comply. But she does start to write, and as she does we are transported to her past, the year 15 BC, Rome.

She picks up he history when she was a mortal child in Imperial Rome when Caesar Augustus ruled. We see her meet and fall in love with the then mortal Marius. And all seems idyllic. But then events beyond her control, force her to flee her home city of Rome for Antioch. Her she tries to face her fears and the mystery of the dreams she has been having. And of course she is reunited with her Marius, who has gone through changes of his own.

The Novel also gives you a quick glimpse of Imperial Rome from good years, to it falling apart and the cooruption that caused that. And the splendid port of Antioch is briefly covered. Pandora's interest let us become reaquinted with the sholars/philosophers of the time. And how their contemperaries thought of them.

This book was a very fast read. And you do not need knowledge from any of the other novels to enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hits the spot nicely!!!!!, 20 July 2001
By A Customer
A refreshing new presentation of Vampire exerts. This novel however can't be called a chronicle as it is short, has few run in's with other vampires and concentrates on the mortal life and creation of Pandora not the life she has after birth to the Dark Gift.
Those readers who have a passion for Ancient Egypt will find this novel particularly enticing as much of the book revolves around Pandora's dedication to the cult of Isis.
The book as a whole is an easy read compared with the heavy chronicles like Armand and Interview with... and would make a simple plane journey the best you ever took. Very worthwhile purchasing!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Certainly an interesting addition to the Vampire Chronicles, 25 April 2001
By A Customer
I have to admit that it was Anne Rice's unique perspective on vampires that first got me interested in vampire fiction. This book upholds her standard of lush sensual writing, but does lack a little of the zest found in her other works. When viewed as a stand-alone novel, it is descriptive and powerfully invokes the atmosphere of the Roman empire. Unfortunately it is held back as a stand-alone by the fact that much of it refers to Rice's other vampire novels.
All in all a fairly good book, but not Rice's best by far (see 'Interview with the Vampire' for that one).

5.0 out of 5 stars a fantastical journey through the millenia, 26 Feb 2002
By A Customer
Pandora has to be my favourite of the chronicles so far. Admitedly the only others that i have read are Interview and Lestat (and the new vampire Vittorio), but as far as Anne's writing goes it is by far the best. She manages to transport you into the Rome of Ceasar Augustus through to Paris at the end of the 20th century. Anne researched the landscapes and traditions perfectly and showed an interesting view on the Ancient Egyptian religion. I am and forever will be a devoted follower of Mrs Rice and all her wonderful creations.

3.0 out of 5 stars A missed opportunity, 22 Dec 2014
This review is from: Pandora: New Tales of the Vampires (Kindle Edition)

My guess is that Anne Rice's knowledge of the period or the ancient Roman world was not as deep or well researched as needed With ancient Rome at the turn of the Principate and early Empire as the backdrop so much more could have been done to capture the danger, horrors, wonder and dynamism of the age. To see how well that can be done, try reading The Master's of Rome series by Colleen McCullough.

As for her protagonists Pandora and Marius they fail to truly sparkle with a truth or ever really develop. It almost feels as if there were a large number of ideas bubbling up but that they stayed in the authors head and failed to make it to the page.

In summary: Reasonably well written, but flaky and inconsistent in parts. Pandora fails to capture the depth of "Interview with the Vampire" and "Vampire Lestat".

4.0 out of 5 stars very little vampire and more history, 5 Jun 2010
Reading is the art of obtaining knowledge without knowing it.

At first, I must say that I found joy in the fact that I knew about some historical incidents and figures that I knew about without ever have learned them in school.
If school is deemed necessary, why have I never learnt who Cicero, Tolstoy, Ovid, Dostoevsky, Homer, Plato, etc, etc, are, until I started reading?

I would also like to tell all those people who in history who have esteemed their selves as intellectuals and looked upon novels as reading material for women.
You are and will forever be wrong.

Anne Rice was highly recommended to me by a few readers. At first I thought, Oh no, not another vampire story, I mean how can it be interesting after all these I have already read? I thought I should give it a go in any case and someone borrowed me the book and I was surprised, surprised by how Rice went in on the whole vampire theory and Isis.

I liked the fact that this book was actually very little vampire and more history. I liked how she used all these philosophers and made them part of the story. I also liked the main character most of the time, which doesn't happen often. Pandora is a strong character, woman, with great logical and rhetoric talent

4.0 out of 5 stars At last! A female vampire!, 14 Oct 1999
By A Customer
I was beginning to wonder if only males can become vampires before the birth of Pandora. This is a story about a noble born Augustan woman who became a seductive vampiress who later chose a new name for her new identity, Pandora. After wandering the earth for so long, all of Anne's vampires, starting with Lestat, seem to have grown a degree of weariness about their immortal existence and have this desire to share their personal story. One by one they appear from Anne's fertile imagination adding to her collection of elusive characters of vampire trilogy. And I'm a sucker for lavishly set tales, and Anne always manages to dress her vampires in richness like that of royalty with charm and grace that you think nothing of their blood sucking thirst. Her vampires are princes and princesses of the dark. Another winner.......I hope there'll be many more to come!