on 22 December 2013
I had originally purchased the LG 24EA53VQ, but it had 2 dead pixels so I promptly sent it back.

I was in the market for a new monitor and had primarily been looking at IPS and PLS screens, however unless you pay for the premium screens they are likely to suffer problems such as backlight bleed, and in my case dead pixels.

I was previously using a 26 inch Samsung monitor that was 5 years old which I've never had a problem with. I've also got a 32 inch Samsung TV which has been flawless since it's purchase. After the bad experience with the LG monitor, I decided to stick with Samsung.

My requirements were:

-24 inch
-1920 x 1080p
-In built speakers
-HDMI inputs
-Tilt/height adjustment
-Budget of around £150

Now with this budget, it is pretty much impossible to find a screen that has all the above. The most difficult to get with a consumer (and not business) model is the height adjustment. For some reason, manufacturers just do not think that height adjustment is something that most people want.

This screen meets all the other requirements. The only bad points are:

-No VESA mount (I don't currently plan on wall mounting it...but if I did, it's not possible)
-No height adjustment
-No downward tilt

The screen quality is brilliant. The inbuilt speakers are about the best I've head on a monitor of this size, and are on the bottom of the monitor instead of the back which makes much more sense. The build quality, being Samsung, is excellent. The stand is stylish and rigid.

Overall, I'm very pleased with this monitor.

On a side note - this was delivered by Yodel...who are utterly useless. Their depot was a 30 minute drive from my house. Why do Amazon continue to use the worst courier in the country?
on 9 July 2013
I use this with my 21.5inch imac which works great with, seeing as its got two HDMI ports i plug my xbox into one and my imac into the other one, i use this monitor a second display for my school work. On the xbox this monitor performs very well with the the the response speed it you are lighting speed ahead of your opponents providing you have a decent internet too. 100$ recommend the monitor does not get hot which is a added bonus.
on 27 May 2014
As most people do these days, I like to do lots of research on a product before I buy it. This monitor was no exception and I hope this review influences your decision in some way.

In case you're interested in finding out more about the monitor before you buy it i'll state what I did:

1. Simply look at the reviews on the page. (Some very helpful and detailed reviews are there)
2. Use the 'Ask a question' feature to find out answers for your own queries.
3. Look for other opinions on technology websites.
4. Lastly copy & paste the name and look for videos, which might help you get a better understanding.

Enough of the advice. Here's my personal review.

When searching for monitors, I wanted a few specific features to meet my needs. These were:
- 1920p x 1080p (Full HD)
- x 2 HDMI ports
- In-built speakers
- 2ms ~ 5ms response time
- 21" ~ 24" screen
- Budget of around £150

I came across this monitor and it seemed to good to be true. It was like a perfect match. Very rare to find this much functionality in a monitor at such a good price.

The picture quality is outstanding. Considering it's a pretty large monitor, the speakers are brilliant. I was worried about having to invest in external speakers but there is no need with this monitor. It seems very well built and is light yet sturdy. It looks very stylish and makes any room look modern.

There are some cons but nothing major, such as:
- Unable to tilt
- Can't adjust height
- Although this wasn't needed for me. This monitor has no VESA mount (Wall mounting)
- Lots of cables supplied but no HDMI cable
- This seems trivial to include but the menu is fiddly at first. It takes time to navigate the menus flawlessly.

Overall I think this monitor is worth 5 stars but not by a huge margin. Samsung have thought of everything but seemed to of forgot the simple features like adjusting the monitor's position.

Side note: One thing I have noticed is Amazon doesn't specify the Hertz. It's 60Hz @ 1920 x 1080 which can rise to 75Hz
on 14 May 2014
The picture on this monitor is good quality and from that point of view I am very happy with my purchase. However two aspects are really quite annoying:

1. The connection doesn't work well to certain computers. It works fine with our Vibox desktop PC, but it only works 80% of the time with our Samsung laptop. I can't be sure if it's a problem with the monitor or the cable - but we are using the cable provided so I count it as a fault of this product. It's quite odd how often you end up with a big brand whose products work worse with other products of the same brand than with a competitors' products. Luckily we have an additional computer to swap the monitor to otherwise I would be a lot more upset on this point.

2. It doesn't wake up automatically from sleep mode when you turn your computer on. There is a power button hidden under the screen that needs pushing each time you want to use the computer - it's a nuisance for us because our young children have to really stretch to reach the button each time.

Well done to the engineers that worked on the screen, great quality vs. the cost - but the guys that worked on the rest of the monitor need to do a better job.
on 11 February 2014
Here's a video review to help, includes a video and audio test http://youtu.be/YUXAEX-2Po0

I highly recommend this brilliant monitor! Image quality is what you would expect from a Samsung product, clear crisp and sharp. Speakers are of a decent quality for a monitor with speakers built-in. Very handy to have 2x HDMI ports, the clip around the back is a good extra to keep cables neat. The screen is relatively light but also feels sturdy at the same time. When I thought about buying the monitor it looked relatively high off the ground however it stands a little lower than my 21.5inch iMac. Has a good range and easy to use menu settings. Tilts very far back but doesn't tilt forward, however even at the vertical stance I find myself having to tilt the screen back a bit. Nice glossy finish on the base and around the screen but isn't off putting.

Overall a very good monitor, very impressed, highly recommend, comes with 4 cables but no HDMI, but it's cheap to buy one anyway.
on 20 April 2014
Lots of reviews already, particularly the very full and helpful one from Jez, but this monitor is so good that it deserves yet another. Of course, it’s not for professionals but I doubt that ordinary users would find better anywhere near the price.

First quibble; the factory settings are, shall we say, bizarre - brightness set at 100%! You can use Window’s built-in calibrator or any that came with your graphics, but my experience setting up previous monitors suggests that, basically, you mostly need to trust your own eyes. The settings button needs a bit of getting used to, but once familiar with it, it’s very easy to operate. I have a few good quality images that I downloaded to assist me, showing things like buildings, flowers, leaves and water scenes. When I had adjusted the settings, the result was remarkable; fine gradings of colour showing, for example, shades of green in the leaves and blue/grey in the water were clearly differentiated. I like to have an image on my desktop and people who have seen it are all impressed with the clarity and detail.

Second quibble; no HDMI-HDMI cable included. I knew this already and bought Amazon’s excellent, basic cable for £3.49. Pity though that Samsung are a bit penny-pinching.

Other reviews have covered the rest but I’ll just mention the speakers. I’ve got a decent Hi-Fi set-up for serious listening but these speakers are a step-up from most and are more than adequate for a PC to deliver background music etc..

All in all, I’m very satisfied with this monitor.
on 26 September 2013
this screen is so cheap but at the same time the best one i could've asked for to do gaming on. highly recommended to all gamers
on 30 December 2013
Paid alot less then advertised price purely because it had been repackaged. Works brilliantly from the word go. The monitor is connected to my PS4 & makes the images look alot sharper then my HD TV.

It has 2 HDMI ports which come in very handy for desktop work & MHL, which allowes the connection of a smart phone.

This monitor has also allowed me to plug in my Logitec 5.1 surround system via the headphone socket for consolw gaming. The 2ms response time is also a real benefit for playing FPS shooters.

Overall a great monitor even at full price. A definite recommendation.
on 1 April 2014
Bought this to replace an Asus 19" 4:3 monitor whose front panel buttons had decided to operate without me touching them!

The monitor was delivered within 48 hours. Setup was simple and I was surprised to see all the following included:-
Mains lead with 13 amp 3-pin plug, Mains lead with 2-pin (European) plug, VGA cable, Audio cable, HDMI - Micro SD cable and a Micro SD - ? adapter (presumably to fit a mobile phone or somesuch).

The User Manual, Windows Driver and a few other bits of software are included on a CD. I tried installing the Magic Tune software (which lets you control the monitor settings from the keyboard). The version of the software on the CD didn't work with my setup (Windows XP) but I downloaded another version from the Magic Tune website which did work. However, the one feature I wanted to control from the keyboard - the Volume - is not an option. So I removed Magic Tune from my PC.

A single joystick button on the underside of the screen gives access to all the settings and menu options. It's easy once you get the hang of it.

Overall, I'm impressed. The picture is very good and the product appears smart and well made. The speakers are pretty good, considering their small size and space, and there are 4 sound settings (Standard, Music, Movie & Clear Voice).

The very slim surround and the base are high gloss black, which of course will show up every spec of dust. That finish used on many products these days It may look smart but it's not practical, unless you live in a dust-free environment!

It's going to take me a while to get used to the widescreen format (which I don't want or need but it seems you can't find a 4:3 monitor of a decent size these days.

In summary: Good product, reasonable price, reputable brand.
on 4 March 2014
I cannot fault the picture quality, or the automatic sensing of various inputs. The only slight niggle I have is the sound and picture control. It all has to be done via one little button under the bottom frame and is very much trial and error no matter how many times you use it. Samsung have given the option of controlling through a PC and this is fine if you are using it as a PC monitor, but there must be many people who use it only as a games machine monitor, and they are stuck with a clunky sound and picture controller. Pity about this or it would have had five stars.