Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Shop now Shop now Shop now

on 30 January 2016
I like how the author took a different angle on his book, incorporating more of a philosophical, design, and psychological perspective. He also peppers the book with some unique examples of brands that not everyone has heard of. Clearly he's done a bit of research here, and there are lots of links to the sources of his content. The reasons I give it just three stars: 1) not many quotes, imagery, or artifacts from interviews with people inside the companies mentioned (mainly it's desk research, not primary research, that's behind the content). 2) the principles are not really anything new, in the sense that other books on customer experience point to basically the same principles (just worded and grouped differently). I think in general this is a good book for people who don't really know too much about CX and want a "starter book" (there are other books out there that go much deeper into CX and principles). It's laid out nicely, written well, and shows the author to be an intelligent guy with some interesting, philosophical views on customer experience. I enjoyed reading it.
on 24 April 2015
I've had this book for about a year now and like many other people here have noted it for its timelessness, wealth of practical advice and amount of research and psychology distilled into one useful guide. I've indeed found myself going back to it depending on the challenge at hand.

The worksheets are a helpful addition to anyone's toolkit, and I can guarantee there will be something in there that even people who have been in the business of advising on customer experience for years will find useful (or may have overlooked). Ten principles may sound like a piece of cake to implement, but dive into what it really means to apply them and you'll see the strength of the book.

The main lesson I took away from this book is that and hope others will too is that customer experience is a very broad topic, too important to leave to just one person in the business. It's something that will require sustained effort from many, and starting from ten principles everyone can understand and agree on makes life much easier, and more likely that real change will actually happen.
on 2 July 2013
The book is packed with most solid insight drivers of human behaviour and suggestions of how to unlock the full potential of your brand and user relationships.

Solid non-mainstream examples, the structure of the book, each of the principles show undeniable expertise of the author in this area.

It's a very easy read. Ideas literally start to fire up as you are reading it.

We have used the lessons from the book religiously and I cannot tell you how much our website has improved based on the ideas highlighted in the book. We have created a cohesive, engaging, fun discovering experience for the user and for our brand.

It was the best money spent and we've saved ourselves thousands of pounds on frontend development time by literally going through each principle and making sure we have delivered the experience we wanted on each page, in each functionality, in each user interaction.

Even if you apply only a few lessons from this book, you will end up with pretty amazing user experience! We certainly have.
on 28 March 2014
I just finished a marathon read of this book, which, on the back of it, has helped to kick off step one of a fantastic overhaul I plan to make to one particular business I run. Fantastic information, interestingly conveyed - the stories throughout were both short and inspiring - and the way the author has organised the content is fabulous. I'm a huge fan of principles so the conveying of the information at this level was spot on - very adaptable and applicable to so many different situations that way.

I loved all the subtle but powerful references to the techniques from the lean/agile genre without once mentioning the word agile (and I'll forgive the one reference to lean as it was spot on ;)

Thank you to the author for all the hard work and, in particular, hard thinking that went into making such a seriously powerful, yet very simplified expression of how to excel in the field of customer experience. Kudos!
on 29 March 2013
I have read many books on Customer Experience. Matt's book is the one that resonates best with my experience in working with organisations to improve the customer experience.

I say that The Ten Principles Behind Great Customer Experiences is the best book, today, on Customer Experience. It is clearly written by someone who is in the trenches grappling with the subject matter. It is practical. It is well structured. It is easy to read. It is useful. It even made me laugh. And Matt has even produced worksheets that you can download from his website.

Too many writers on Customer Experience do not get people, do not get relationship, do not even get experience. Matt is different he gets people at the levels that really matter and drive customer behaviour. He conveys this understanding brilliantly in Chapters 4 and 5.

I thoroughly recommend that if you have any interest at all in Customer Experience then you put Matt's book on the top of your reading list. Incidentally, you can read it in one evening if you are minded to do so. And that is another great feature of the book: Matt has focussed on the essentials, taken out the padding that is found in too many books.
on 1 November 2013
I cannot recommend this book enough! It is such an effortless and enjoyable read which enables you to think differently about your business or product.

It provides a range interesting examples throughout the book that consolidate the 10 principles, some of which you might have experienced but others that evidently effect customer experiences. The difference with this book is that Watkinson has a clear understanding of the psychology behind the customer experiences and can support every principle.

It reads like a simple recipe. One that you can easily follow to create a memorable customer experience and the equivalent to a michelin star or two!

I've come away with so many ideas, thank you Matt Watkinson.

[ THE TEN PRINCIPLES BEHIND GREAT CUSTOMER EXPERIENCES BY WATKINSON, MATTHEW](AUTHOR)PAPERBACK
on 19 March 2013
I bought this book on the back of a workshop session in which it was described by "if you only read one book about User Experience..." etc.

Considering there are only ten principles, the book goes into considerable depth, including numerous illuminating real-life examples.

Initially, I felt slightly underwhelmed with the content since much of it seems "obvious" to the casual reader, but some time after having put it down I realised that I was thinking about my own customer / user experiences in a fundamentally different and markedly objective way. I attribute this to the fact that the principles are so well documented in a single volume and presented in such a coherent way.

In general this book is very accessible and was easy to pick up and dive into. My only slight criticism is that the structure seems a little muddled at times - I think due to the abstract nature of some principles and the tendency for multiple principles to overlap. That said, I believe that the intentionally concise style helps to mitigate this as much as possible.

All in all, I would definitely recommend this book to anyone looking for a really great primer to the subject of customer experience. I think it is most certainly that, and probably more.
on 26 April 2013
The principles covered in this book are covered in such depth, yet they're so easy to digest. It all makes incredible sense and it's one of those books that makes actions sound so obvious. When suggestions on improving customer experience are made, you're always thinking "Of course! Why didn't I think of that?" Furthermore there are lots of tips and references to worksheets which help you with improving customer experience which is a great addition. Incredibly good book and hope it ends up in everyone's home and office.
on 10 January 2013
This book is called The Ten principles behind great customer experiences, and great customer experiences exceed expectations. I expected the book to be good and to even hopefully exceed my expectations, the author succeeded completely.

Its very rare to find someone who not only understands the subject of customer experience and service but can also convey that to the reader, reading this book once I think will be to miss so much, I get the feeling I will go back and back not only to understand more but to apply more.
on 19 August 2015
Almost don't want to put it down. So accessible and logical with masses of examples and evidence to back everything up. I'll re-use this for years.