5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you Ms Wax...
Published 12 months ago by meriet duncan

3.0 out of 5 stars A mixed bag
The sections of the book in which Ruby Wax reflects on and recounts her personal experience are both moving and informative and certainly helped me to understand better what it is like to suffer from depression. However, I found the other sections rather annoying in their tone and at times I felt my mind lurching into the world of the untamed mind rather than the tamed...
Published 10 months ago by m e lockyer

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you Ms Wax..., 6 July 2013
Brilliant Book. I read it with Ruby's voice in my head which made it easy and amusing. I wish she had written this book when I was 14, it would have saved me years of heart/head ache.. A must read for those who want to find out more about themselves and those around them. Thank you Ms Wax, I am only sorry that you had to suffer first in order to get tothis point in your life...

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read and lots of good advice, 5 Jan 2014
Ruby uses just enough science, personal anecdotes and humour to make this book easy and worthwhile reading. It's full of common sense and advice for life in the 21st century. I'd recommend it to anyone who suffers from anxiety or would class themselves as an excessive worrier. If nothing else this book will give you some laughs!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Owners Guide to the Mind, 7 Jun 2013
Donald Scott (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I've read a lot of books about neurology, psychology and psychotherapy. Just put this one down having finished the last page. This one is a bit special because it has been written by someone who writes from the heart, with an honesty that's compelling. It has been said that there is no owner's manual that comes with each brain. This one provides a pretty good idea of what to do if you feel that your own brain is not quite getting you through your life the way you'd like. Highly recommended. I've always liked the author as a comedienne... I like her even better as an author and educator.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic read, 27 Dec 2013
This review is from: Sane New World: Taming the Mind (Kindle Edition)
As someone who suffers from stress and anxiety due to caring for my father who has a brain injury, this book has given me an understanding of some of his problems and what is going on inside his brain and taught me coping strategies on how to deal with my related stress. Ruby is funny, intelligent and plain speaking about mental health and what it throws at you. I read it in one go and will definitely read it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILIANT, 6 Jun 2013
this book is a gift to the world. it's a helpful book without being a 'self help book.' funny, insightful and a revelation. it makes the most impossible concepts accessible for everyone and will help anyone understand the intricate workings of the brain and the responses we have to life. a must have for anyone trying to navigate their way through all the madness. major thanks to miss wax...

5.0 out of 5 stars Want A Happier Life? You'd Be Crazy Not To Read Sane New World. Yes, I Do Mean That., 10 Jun 2013
This review is from: Sane New World: Taming the Mind (Kindle Edition)
What's the one thing we all say when asked what we'd wish ourselves or our children and loved ones? A happy life. This excellent book isn't just for those people with a mental health diagnosis. It's a book for any human being who wants a happier life. A manual for improved life quality - improved thinking, feeling and behaviour. I want to send one each to all our children.

Here's a modified something I wrote on Ruby Wax's website (www.rubywax.net) today.

"I'm glad the Irish Sane New World Tour went so well. My work hours were reduced from 36 to 12 per week when I had to have time off for an episode and the doctor's certificate showed 'bipolar depression'. That's a 2/3 cut in my salary. We moved area and I now work from home doing something I love. But mental illness can still hit us in the pocket and lower self-esteem further in this way, as you mention in SNW. The law definitely needs changing. We can never have too many people being open and honest about their experiences.

I'm now told by my e-reader I'm at '94 of 150' and thus at Part 4 of Sane New World. Although I took two NHS Mindfulness courses, the brain part was only explained in that we can change our thinking and thus feeling and behaviours. There simply wasn't the budget or time on the NHS to go into that detail and we concentrated on the actual practice.

So, at very long last, someone has explained for me in layman's/Joe Public human terms what scientists and scholars actually know, from all the research we have up to now (and clearly more needs doing), about our brains and minds. I knew Mindfulness was doing me good, making life richer and me more content, but the info in SNW's been a revelation to me. How complex is the brain! No wonder it's taking time to work it all out. And each brain is unique. So Ruby's down-to-earth and often funny and recognisable explanations helped me see why I've been stuck with certain thoughts, beliefs and attitudes for too many years.

I've had to read some parts twice - which gave me priceless ah-ha moments galore - and look up a few words but you've made this topic so accessible for those who want to do something about their mental health/thinking/life problems but may not understand why Mindfulness (and mindfulness-based CBT) is worth learning and practising and sticking at. For ANYone!

One practical course of Mindfulness would be great, if daily practise follows. Doing a course, then forgetting about it probably wouldn't help. A course or other complementary works such as Mindfulness: A practical guide to finding peace in a frantic world by Williams & Penman - based on Kabat-Zinn's work - and then practising daily, begins to pay dividends. I wouldn't be writing this if I doubted it. I don't do many reviews. I have to feel very strongly. And this is fundamental stuff to help with our lives.

Of course there are crappy and traumatic times; Ruby Wax doesn't deny that (especially by being open in the book about her own struggles) - but we can observe those times, thoughts and feelings with mindful practice, and recover in a healthier way than the negative things we often do, beating ourselves up, being unkind to ourselves, overloading ourselves to breaking point, etc. This book has explained to me what's going on; how with Mindfulness I'm rewiring my brain to positive effect. I was honestly at the point where I couldn't afford NOT to.

We are human and fallible. Perfection we can never have but, using your book and the Mindfulness-based options (books/courses/cds and more) out there, we can improve our quality of life. And I think that's the best gift those of use with mental health issues can give ourselves. Thanks for making it all a lot clearer for me. :-)"

I don't always meditate daily (I can manage short ones quite well, even 5 minutes!) but I do try and consciously do a few daily things (washing up, anyone? Walking the dog?) in a mindful way, paying attention. Everyone will have their own preferences.

If you struggle with life, that the habitual negative thoughts you have affect your self-worth/your emotions and feelings/your behaviour and how you live life (anxious/suffering depressive/anxiety symptoms/obsessive thoughts and behaviours) and you sincerely wish to change this, well then, say no more, you are very human and Ruby's written a funny, accessible manual to help.

Life can only improve with this stuff. It *can* be happier if you want. But if your painful comfort-zone is the one you want to keep, you go ahead. You're welcome to it. But don't say I never tipped you the wink! ;-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant sensitive Read, 3 Jun 2013
For anyone affected directly or indirectly by mental illness this is a must read. It is the first book that I have read on the subject that clearly explains how to turn around your thought process in laymen's terms. The technical details are explained clearly without being condescending.Sane New World: How to Tame the Mind

5.0 out of 5 stars A funny book with a very important message, 21 Oct 2013
This review is from: Sane New World: Taming the Mind (Kindle Edition)
Ruby writes about mindfulness in a way that actually makes sense. Her open and honest account of her own mental illness adds a layer of reality and truth sometimes missing in more zen like approaches to mindfulness.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally! Wish this book was published a decade ago, 18 Oct 2013
Y. Bakunina (London) - See all my reviews
Of course, that's not possible as neuroscience is only just beginning to understand how our brains work. Still, this book is invaluable to anyone and everyone. Intuitively, I always knew that stress is the root of all evils, that meditation and mindfulness help me to calm the mind as does yoga but no meditation or yoga teacher has ever explained to me the physiological principles behind mindfulness. Ruby Wax does more than that. She ascertains that we are all crazy and helps to navigate to the sane shores with clarity and uncanny humour. To me this is the best and most profound book I've read in a decade.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly remarkable book - a must read!, 16 Oct 2013
Buzzy Box (Isle of Skye United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought this book three days ago and finished reading it today. I couldn't put it down. I chose it because I wanted to find out more about Ruby's "take" on her own illness, on the studies she has undertaken to learn about it and about mindfulness in general. It is a gem and I would highly recommend it to everyone, not only those who suffer from the (what I consider to be) linked illnesses of depression, anxiety, OCD and PTSD. I have lost a friend in the past to depression and this year I have been diagnosed with anxiety and started on a course of treatment. Ruby's book is laugh out loud funny in places but she is able to explain what goes on in our brains and what we can do to help change our thought patterns in a clear, easy to understand way. And, even more importantly, she emphasises that it IS possible to change. Like her, I have wondered if my brain is in charge of me sometimes but having read this, my confidence in being able to do something to help myself has increased and I have already started to put into practice some of the things she recommends. But even for those who consider themselves more "sane" than the rest of us, she still makes lots of very valuable points. I could buy a copy of this for practically everyone I know, certain in the knowledge that they would benefit from her narrative. Well done Ruby for writing such a brilliant book - and for having the courage to share her story with us. She is right to say that there is no shame in mental illness, it is an illness like any other. The more we get this message out there, the better for us all.