Corel VideoStudio Ultimate X6 (PC)
Platform: PCChange
Price:£62.80+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Platform: PCVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've tried various versions of Corel Video Studio Pro (they've dropped the Pro from this version, though) and always found it a bit 'My First Video Editor', however with X6 it may have stepped up a bit.

It's always had a fair stack of features, but customizing them has always been restricted or awkward meaning that anything you produce with it has a bit of an amateurish feel. It's never good using loads of the transitions and overlays included with NLE software, but if you can suitably customize the effects then you can end up with something unique and more understated (read 'professional looking'!).

It's still not massively intuitive when trying to customize things, but I did get further with X6 than I have with previous versions, so there's a definite improvement there.

The inclusion of ProDad Mercali and Boris Graffiti go a long way towards helping you make a professional looking production. These are very good tools and BG particularly, rather than the stock title effects, will really help a production.

New features such as 4K support and the motion tracking titles are interesting. I'm not sure why anyone with kit capable of capturing 4K video would use a budget editor like this right now, but I suppose as 4K kit comes down in price it may make sense to be familiar with a software package - I just don't see the 4K price coming down much very soon.

The motion tracking titles and overlays (and path editing for objects in general) actually works very well and creates some nice effects that are both smooth in appearance and effective. My only issue being that applying these effects is not as intuitive as it could be. Creating a motion tracking path and then replacing that with a title repeatedly resulted in titles that were far smaller than I expected - though they did track very nicely! If you do a search on YouTube you can find some Corel training videos that show a much simpler way of using the motion tracking (create the track without an associated object, then right click on the overlay you want to follow the track and associate that with the appropriate motion track) - tellingly it involves un-checking a default setting every time you create a track.. see what I mean by unintuitive?

I should, though, say that I am absolutely not dismissing the bundled effects. Some of them are very very nice. The clouds effect and the wave effect in particular are very well rendered and the waves effect in particular is very customizable meaning fluttering flags from images etc are very easy to create and very convincing. The simple transitions such as the fades, wipes, peels etc are very well done and genuinely useful.

A lot of reviewers have had stability issues with this version. I'm pleased to say that I didn't have any while testing - and that was a bug surprise to me. I'm a Pinnacle Studio user by choice - another product now owned by Corel - and the latest version of that software (version 16) has proven a nightmare on my hardware so I was expecting bad things here.

[UPDATE: After another few hours of testing this pretty heavily with some 1080p footage, motion tracking, various overlays and transitions I'm happy to say that I still have had no crashing issues whatsoever!]

The only 'stability' issues I did see were to do with plugins. When opening up the settings editor for New Blue effects I was briefly greeted by a screen promoting New Blue's wares, quickly followed by a registration screen. Unfortunately these screens immediately disappeared behind the main Video Studio Pro window BUT kept focus meaning that I couldn't click on the popups to close them, bring them to the front of the screen to interact with them or continue to work in the editor. (the fix was to right click on the task bar icon and select 'Close' which brought the dialogs to the front where I could cancel them. Video Studio pro did not close at this point but after closing the two dialogs I was able to return to the main screen and continue what I was doing!)

In the past I've uninstalled Video Studio Pro and continued using Pinnacle Studio and CyberLink Power Director to achieve everything I've wanted to do. I think X6 will be staying on my machine - not as my primary editing package, but certainly now a useful addition to my video toolbox.

[UPDATE: The extra few hours of testing have really bumped this package up in my opinion. My gut feeling at this point is that Video Studio Ultimate X6 will now replace Power Director as my second line NLE. It will probably actually be the first call for some project from now on.. and that's after more than 10 years of very heavy Pinnacle Studio use!]

[UPDATE June 2013: Well I've now had my first crash - last night on a project I've been working on for a good few weeks now. I was moving an overlay graphic and the application froze completely. I crashed out of it using task manager - a pretty sever way to shut down any application - and on restarting Video Studio offered to recover the project that was open when it crashed. It recovered perfectly and the only changes missing from the recovered project were the ones I was making to the position of the overlay when the application crashed! I hadn't saved the project for a good 20 minutes or so and had made a lot of changes in that time and all of those were recovered perfectly. Yet another big tick from me then - crashes are almost inevitable in complex software like this, for me the measure of good software is how well it recovers and Video Studio Pro did that brilliantly.]
on 10 May 2013
I bought x5; using the "Do More" tab, I downloaded lots of free extra content - templates, titles etc. I then saw x6, advertised at a "special discount" to upgrade. I was tempted by the new features, so I upgraded. The number of titles available to me dropped from more than 80 to 54. Templates that I had installed - eg "sci fi" were no longer there Yet when I clicked on the "Do More" tab, it told me that sci fi was there, and already installed, so no option to install again.

Then began six-eight weeks of emails with their "support" team. I uninstalled x5, to completely free up x6. Nothing changed. I reinstalled x5 - and there were all 80-plus titles again. No trace in x6. I then uninstalled, as their instructions, both x5 and x6, reinstalled x6 with a new code they gave me - and found that not only was I still down to 54 titles, but I had now lost the Boris plug-in as well.

My last email to them asked, in very plain language, "why can't I get the 80-plus titles in x6, where has Boris gone, and why does it tell me the sci-fi template is installed when it is nowhere to be found." I think those questions are quite straight forward and understandable. The reply? "Please sign this form, return it to us, destroy your disk and we will give you a full refund." That, I am afraid, is NOT my definition of the word "support", that is "we can't find a quick fix to your problem, so we are giving up."

I have one other minor issue with the software: I use such packages to put my family holiday films etc onto DVDs. What I have done in the past, for some fun etc, is devised family logos etc. When I used Pinnacle, the DVD would start, up would come the logo, and THEN you would reach the DVD menu. With Corel, you have no option at all about where the DVD menu goes. If you opt to use the menu, it is automatically inserted at the very start of your DVD, with no option for any title screen, copyright notices or anything else on screen before the menu appears. According to their support team, they think it would be a good idea if you COULD put the menu's elsewhere, and are going to mention this to their technical people. But I wont be holding my breath.

As it is, I am currently flitting between the two versions of the software (using up a nice bit of unnecessary disc pace) depending on how many or which titles and templates I want to use compared to what new features I want to use.

I want to like this software, I like the features (in theory) - I am just very frustrated by the niggles, and the frankly unsupportive "support" from Corel.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Platform: PCVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If you're the kind of filmmaker who shoots in 4K resolution (8.3 megapixels) then you're probably going to be spending money on a lot more sophisticated editing software than this. But I suppose as the technology refines and becomes more commonplace it might become more affordable. Still, it's a nice feature.

As for the software itself - it is a decent package, if hardly revolutionary. Corel lead the market on photo editing software but aren't quite there when it comes to video. With a nice amount of tools such as video stabilization and color-grading (which I am not too keen on) it is worth money. If you've worked with video editing packages before you will be whisking through this one in no time, if not it is still very user-friendly and easy-going with all the usual text options and transitions. You can render your movies in the usual list of formats including MP4, MPEG-4, AVC and WMV. The sound is in Dolby Digital too, btw. Apparently you can link it to your YouTube account for direct uploads but I never initiated this as I feel safer doing it manually.

Any first-timers looking for a video editing package will certainly get their money's worth with VideoStudio X6. It is stable and features enough tools satisfy your basic editing needs - and in 4K resolution too, should you need it.
on 27 July 2013
I have a maximum spec Vaio PC, Core i7, Windows 8. Despite this and despite ten hours' efforts and several installs and uninstalls, the software doesn't work at all. The main video editing software crashes as soon as I try to perform any edit and it's impossible to install any of the proDAD plugins. The product is misrepresented as being compatible with Windows 8. It isn't, as a number of users complain on Corel's own forum. Zero usefulness. Total waste of money.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon 30 March 2013
Platform: PCVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have already reviewed Corel VideoStudio Pro X5 Ultimate (PC) so will just say what is new here and what my experiences were.

First, several others have mentioned this program crashing/hanging. I would assume this is because their PCs are not powerful enough or have too little RAM to run the program. My laptop has an i7 quad core processor and 8Gb of RAM and I experienced no crashes. I even ran a PiP video project in real time with no problem. So, check the specification of your PC before using this program, as video editing is one of the most demanding things a PC can do.

The main new feature is tracking. You place a marker on a video clip and run the tracking software. The marker moves about according to what it thinks has happened to the feature under the marker, eg, a face or ball. This then gives you a path, which you can save and/or use to animate an overlay object, eg, another video. It is quite satisfying to see the results of this on-screen, as one video floats above another, tracking the motion of some object in the first. Of course, once a path is saved, it can be used anywhere. A more mundane application is to obscure a number plate or face. The technique is also used in sports videos, to track a player, ball or F1 car.

Otherwise, with a few other changes detailed online, and extensively documented in the downloadable ebook manual, this version has all the good features of the previous version, including an excellent video capture. There are loads of free downloads, too, as usual.

So, as I said, maybe you should check the Task Manager in your PC if this program isn't running correctly, as it is running fine here.
on 23 August 2013
The new Videostudio X6 Pro Ultimate is REALLY IMPROVED!
I am user of several Videostudio versions, since early 2007 (9, X2 Pro and X5).
I had serious problems with the earlier versions (especially many crashes
during several stages of video editing and problems with synchronization).

I tried the new X6 (64 bit) for more than 3 months and i can ensure that this
is the FIRST videostudio i ever tried, without any functional problems.
The X5 was also working properly enough, but sometimes it could not read some
projects (created with X5!!!). That means losing my work!
BUT: When the X6 appeared, the same projects were loadable again (with X6!!!)

As i said, i highly recommend the X6 Version, but i want to emphasize that i
didn't tested the CREATE DISK yet.

Now, the MINUS points are less than in the X5 version:

1. After so many years of improving videostudio, it is ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE
that it's STILL impossible to work precisely with Gamma, Brightness, Saturation etc!!
There is no +- button (or less sensitivity) for increasing/decreasing the values.
We have to PULL the button with the mouse to change the value.
That makes very difficult or even impossible to make small and precise changes,
like +1 or -1, etc.
I's also impossible to copy/paste text into subtitles or to change the size and
other properties in multiple subtitles simultaneously!

2. The "zoom" button has been placed into the right side of the panel.
That makes me to move often the mouse over a long distance: right-left-right-left
and it makes me nervous. I prefer the old location of the X2 version.

I am not sure if i will buy this version or wait for the X7, because i really wish
some functions to be improved and some others to be available (more color/brightness
control) etc, as in CyberLink PowerDirector 11 (which is great but it seems to have
significant problems in stability and also significant speed problems even in the menus).
So, if someone can't wait for the (possible) upgraded X7 version, i ABSOLUTELY RECOMMEND
the X6 version.

For all what i wrote above, i evaluate this program with -2 stars.
COREL: It' should be very easy now (and it's time!) to make a "big step" in X7 and get 5 stars!

I hope the next version will be crash-free as well and then.. the only thing left are some
improvements and adds for more control for color AND for Video mixing.
Platform: PCVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Not a bad package at all although did take some time to load but then the extra disc has a lot on it...lots of features and perhaps flaws mainly covered by other reviewers and mine hasn't stalled or crashed yet,fingers crossed but I did have some difficulty finding a simple edit function like re-orienting the video upright...lots to learn on but well worth the time and effort if you want to get into arty editing.
VINE VOICEon 18 June 2013
Platform: PCVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
With the quality of the this video studio I would expect it to cost less. I found it froze a lot and took a long time to render the finished film. I have a powerful computer so it must be the program struggling to keep up with its own commands. If you are patient and relative novice to video editing then I think this would fill your needs. More experienced editors may want to look elsewhere.
on 22 July 2013
As I am new to editing I wanted something that the 'experts' would recommend at a price below £100.
I found a comparison site on the web and this pointed to a top 10. I chose video studio because it ticked the right boxes for me.
I found it reasonably straightforward to use and the manual very good if I needed to check anything. I completed a 1 hour edited wedding video for my niece and the family were very pleased with results.
I would certainly be happy to recommend it to someone who is computer literate, has used powerpoint or graphics software, and has the necessary intuition to try things out and learn from the experience.
I have used the following features:
Section headings, invitation objects, fade in out, music background, trimming or stretching clips, special effects, sound effects, photo insertion within the video, and video clips to make up the video.
Platform: PCVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Well the blurb says "Live Life. Make Movies." Sadly only one of these seems possible, and it's not the one that Corel are responsible for. Which is a surprise, as I've always found their products to be steady and reliable, if unspectacular. This one, however, just seems buggy and broken. Installation was no problem, but running it was a whole other game. Although, to be fair, the menus were clear and intuitive. It was only clicking on things that seemed to cause the problem. Which is a bit of a problem when it comes to software. On the rare occasion when the programme didn't crash, it seemed good enough, but then blam, the whole thing would collapse again. It seems like one of those bits of software that hasn't been tested nearly enough. So for the time being, I can only "live life".

See one answered question