5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorites...
Possible Spoilers...

Published 12 months ago by Sherb

3.0 out of 5 stars One for Beauty and the Beast fans
I did enjoy the story and I did have to know what happened, so that would suggest that the book was good. And it was . Despite frequent instances of key words being missed out of sentences, it was well written. I've already downloaded the Fire King to read. There were however, a few bugbears for me with this.

The most realistic characters were the servants...
Published 6 days ago by Tales of a Librarian

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars One for Beauty and the Beast fans, 29 April 2015
This review is from: The Cold King (Kindle Edition)

The most realistic characters were the servants. They had layers and dimensions. A nice touch in a Beauty and the Beast retelling where they are often relegated to being invisible or even literally furniture (thank you Disney!)

On the whole I liked the two MCs. But they didn't so much have fatal flaws as desperately need therapy and then we'll see if you can finish the story flaws.

Calia bugged me by crying over EVERYTHING. It was literally her first response. And she is neither stupid, nor unfeeling or unkind. Her constant sense if inferiority was grating and while I am glad she found her gumption and started standing up for herself, I feel it should have happened much earlier.

The King was intriguing. I like the mask idea and I can see that 300 years of lonely immortality might make you lose touch with your humanity. However I couldn't get around his need for his servants to develop Stockholm syndrome before they were considered loyal. He was also vain, self obsessed and occasionally cruel. This was only just balanced by his usually clear judgement and kindness.

Perhaps the really clever touch, whether intentional on the author's part or not, was the way in which these two characters strengthened and brought out the best in each other, stopping either of them from becoming fundamentally unlikeable.

Anyway there's plenty of (at times inexplicable) action. Some fun moments - usually with the servants - and ultimately a satisfying ending.

3.5 stars and a must read for Beauty and the beast fans.

1.0 out of 5 stars not worth buying, 26 Sept. 2014
This review is from: The Cold King (Kindle Edition)
I bought this based on the 5 star reviews already posted, but I was so disappointed! The ideas in the book were good, but the quality of the writing was simply dreadful! The characters were poorly fleshed, their motivations irrational, and halfway through the book I simply gave up. If you want a retake on Beauty and the Beast try Robin McKinley's Beauty or Mercedes Lackey's The Fire Rose instead

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorites..., 25 April 2014
Possible Spoilers...

The Cold King is one of my favorite books and a interesting interpretation of the classic Beauty and the Beast story-line. King Valanka was cursed by his father for his dismissive ways, even if they were justified, and Calia is considered the ugly and usless daughter who, with no marriage prospects, is sold by her mother and town and given to the king as his slave.

King Valanka is a complex hero, wanting the best for his kingdom, but losing the man he was in the process, in some ways he forgets what it means to be human and in his own way he believe he is doing the best by his servants, which leads to some painful scenes with Calia when he acts in a way he believes right.

Calia has known little love and affection in her life and tries to make the best of her slavery, it is no wonder she falls in love with Val. But what i love most is her development from shy, scared girl to a brave woman who will stand up to a king to get her point across. Her character development is one of the most pleasing aspects of this book.

Not only is this a romance but Val's curse comes with a twist and not only must he fall in love but develop other friendships as well to be free and watching Val be the man he was meant to be and the range of characters introduced make this story a wonderful, if quite dark, fairy tale.

5.0 out of 5 stars The cold king, 18 Nov. 2013
This review is from: The Cold King (Kindle Edition)
My favourite book by this author ,couldn't put it down ,and keep retreading my favourite parts ,love it more please

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it!, 9 July 2013
From niccis book blog

For all of you that loved fairy tales as a child, you will love this book!!
This book is a little bit Cinderella and a little bit Beauty and the beast and a lot fantastic.
A wonderful heart warming story with a twist, all the characters are well put together, even the cold king is charming in his own way, he has hidden depth. The cold king is a gripping easy read that pulls you into the fairy tale, you will not be able to put this book down. A grown up fairy tale with a sprinkle of romance and a wonderful read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 30 Jun. 2013
This review is from: The Cold King (Kindle Edition)
Cold king was amazing and I have read it lots, I would recommend it to peoplewho love romance and fairytale and it's quite a muture book, AMAZING!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Cold King, 18 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The Cold King (Kindle Edition)
I absolutely loved this book. Came upon it by chance and thought i'd give it a go as I am a fan of the Beauty and the Beast love story. It was well written and I was taken in from the very beginning. The book has a little of a historical, magical feel about it which I liked. The story line had a good pace and I enjoyed the development of the relationship between Calia and The King. There was also good development of other characters in the book which really brought the story to life. One of the best books I have read this year. I hope Amber Jaeger writes more books like this. The editing could have been better but it didn't detract from the story. I would highly recommend!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not great, 30 Dec. 2014
This review is from: The Cold King (Kindle Edition)
Based on beauty and the beast, one of my favourite stories, so this book got snapped up in a minute.

Overall I like the story and the main characters; I did think the Cold King was a little bit too overbearing, aggressive and unlikable, to the point where you wonder why on earth the heroine fell for him. Ditto, why he fell for her when it seems she just snivelled and flinched her way around his presence the majority of the time.

A better beauty and the beast retelling I've read recently is Entreat Me by Grace Draven - although it's a little more raunchy than this one so for older audiences!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab!!, 30 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Cold King (Kindle Edition)
Oh wow loved it, read in one sitting late into the night and have just ordered next book by this author...lovely lovely romantic story ..based on beauty and the beast, love the fairy take element...pure romance, cried in parts..if your after sex and erotica this book is not for you, but if u like some true romance and easy reading with sentiment and love fairy tales then I would recommend..happy reading was a pleasure...so much so I wrote the review as soon as I'd read it as I also ways value them when buying a book.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good young adult fairy tale retelling, 7 Dec. 2014
This review is from: The Cold King (Kindle Edition)
I bought this on a whim because I wanted a light read. It's a good young adult fairy tale retelling, more of a 3.5 stars then a 4 because there were a few moments when I was knocked out of the story when the Cold King did something so not OK I was not sure how the story was going to recover and I was occasionally frustrated with the plot. I guess the best recommendation is that when I next wanted a quick read fantasy that wasn't too dark I bought the next in the series.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›