5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book if you work with offenders, 20 Aug 2014
Finally a book that's both practical in nature and jargon free. In this book, Mr Jonathan Hussey clearly explains some very simple yet effective skills for working with offenders. He also demonstrates how he has applied them to his previous cases. I would really recommend this book for anyone beginning their career of working with offenders. That said, I think a lot of experienced staff may benefit from some of the top tips Mr Hussey gives. This book is definitely worth a read and well worth the money you pay for it especially compared to other CJS books :).

5.0 out of 5 stars A bible for practitioners:, 20 May 2014
Despite the price of this book ( which led me initially to believe that it was inferior to other criminology books), this book is a must for all who work in the criminal justice sector. Easy to understand, using normal everyday language and straight to the point.
I have found it invaluable in my current role as a trainee and can honestly sday that without this book I would not be progressing.
Best purchase on Amazon I have ever made.

5.0 out of 5 stars A recommended read for any trainee Probation Officer., 30 July 2014
This review is from: Reoffending: A Practitioner's Guide to Working with Offenders and Offending Behaviour in the Criminal Justice System (Probation) (Kindle Edition)
This book takes you through the skills that a Probation Officer uses and makes it clear that innovation is important in the new world of Probation. The importance of getting used to using CBT in everyday working life is made clear and Mr Hussey explains how Probation Staff can assist people who have committed offences to think though distorted thinking and make decisions about who they want to be and what they want to achieve. Ongoing training to deepen understanding and skills is recommended. I am half way through the book and still have more to learn.

On the whole, this is an insightful book and a recommended read for anyone starting a career in Probation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 30 Aug 2014
Jonathan Hussey's book has helped motivate me to take that step I have been meaning to take for some time with regards to applying to become a Probation Officer. This book was so easy to read and understand, and helped provide me with the insight and encouragement I needed. The exercises he spoke about using with his clients seemed great and I especially enjoyed the chapter at the end of the book which talked about how to safeguard yourself as a practitioner. I would definitely advise people considering a job in this area to take a read and support this book. It's relatively cheap too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshingly honest introduction to Probation, 25 Nov 2012
What a refreshingly honest introduction to the world of a Probation Officer. I would certainly recommend this for anyone who is considering a career in the Criminal Justice System, those just starting out as Probation Service Officers and all exisiting Probation Officers. What perfect timing for the release of such an informative book, prior to the incorporation of Skills for Effective Engagement, Development and Supervision (SEEDS).

5.0 out of 5 stars An insight into an interesting and challenging role - more books like this please!, 6 Feb 2014
Having worked in offender management for just over two years, I know that starting a role in this field can be a daunting prospect at times. The author manages to reassure you that this feeling is normal! By drawing upon his own experience of the field, the author reflects on methods he has used to help engage offenders, covering a variety of learning styles. You are given an insight into interventions the author has found useful and how he has managed to overcome challenging situations. Overall, the book gives you a realistic view of some of the scenarios you are likely to encounter as a practitioner in this field. I’ve found that this book has helped increase my confidence in the role and has been a useful resource whilst I am completing the VQ5 to qualify as a Probation Officer. It has also encouraged me to reflect on my practice, which, as the author highlights, is an important component of becoming an effective practitioner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book and well written - 5 stars!!!!!, 20 Nov 2012
I currently work with children with behavioural difficulties at a school.

I bought this book as it seemed great value for money as compared to other expensive academic books and I also wanted something current and practical in relation to ideas of how i could tackle some of my young people's behaviour on a one to one basis.

This book was great and easy to follow. It showed me some very simple but what seems effective exercises that engages them. There was loads of tips and even some things for me to take away myself to think about and talk with manager with regards to my development.

Anyway - I would really recommend this book to anyone who works with young people with behaviour problems - even if it seems it is aimed at probation and youth offending staff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring ***** 5 Stars *****, 3 Dec 2012
I currently work with adults with drug and alcohol problems and in my spare time I like reading about ways to address these problems. However I have always found text books really boring and they always seemed detached from what was really going on in the real world. This book tho was great, practical, and entertaining and very easy to follow. It not only covers the basics really well but also how to apply it to sometimes very difficult clients. I would recommend anyone working with addiction to get one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Resource, 1 Mar 2014
This book is very accessible to non-professionals. I work in a voluntary capacity with sexual offenders and used an exercise provided within this book around victim awareness with my service user. The exercise was well explained and after completing it, the service user reported that he had learned a lot from doing it and asked for further exercises like it. Written in plain English and relatively jargon free, it is an essential for your book shelf!!! Will definitely be looking at other publications by this author!! Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have book for all Drug and Alcohol Practitioners, 12 Jan 2013
This book is a hidden gem. Full of real learning, wisdom, teaching, models and yet so practical and applicable in the world of criminal justice. In my role as a drug and alcohol working in prisons and in the community, this book is invaluable. Please buy it, not because I have any vested interest in the book or the author but because it should be a required reading handbook for every CARAT worker or community Practitioner in the drugs field. Only wish I had found it years ago. A must have. Recommend it to others.