Format: DVD|Change

VINE VOICEon 1 May 2015
At just eight episodes, there's a joyful breeziness to Black Rock Shooter's action that ensures it never out-stays its welcome - it powers through its plot points, working through the various colour-coded girls that form the core of its premise.

Flipping between the teen drama of the real world to the action-heavy 'fantasy' sequences, we get treated to a ghoulishly dark tale of mental trauma - featuring both an abusive goth-loli and a school counsellor that's most certainly more than she seems.

With a striking CGI-heavy visual style that holds its own surprisingly well, it's a shame in a way that BRS has remained subtitle-only, as it would no doubt have picked up a bigger audience with a dub. With a cracking Hatsune Miku-sung opening song too, for fans of the likes of Madoka Magica, Arpeggio of Blue Steel or psychological drama, this is definitely worth a watch.
on 8 November 2013
This anime was very dark and sad at times but very touching. It's not a long series but the story still speaks volumes. I would highly recommend it to anyone who has ever had friendship troubles, doubted themselves or had to face their demons. I think it would really appeal to someone who has these experiences.
on 8 June 2013
I liked this anime as it has a heavy sense of friendship which proves to be the way to help one another who are struggling to do the same. Only gave this a 4 star cause its a short series of only 8 episodes in total and it seems to be bait rushed towards the end of the series. Still a great watch as any anime fan would probably agree. Just to warn all those who like English voice overs on their anime this show does not have English voice overs it only has Japanese language with English subtitles which is the best way to watch any anime in my opinion
on 22 February 2014
They story takes a few episodes to get off the ground but overall, it's a good watch. The first few episodes felt like one of those shows you watch if it's on TV but won't put it in to your weekly schedule. I would recommend this to a friend.
on 2 December 2013
at the beginning it is a bit confusing when it jump from one world to the other but the story unrelieved itself. beautiful story and can be so realistic.
on 30 April 2014
My own fault for not checking the product details to be fair, but I struggle to follow subs and so haven't really followed this as well as I might otherwise have.
on 25 April 2015
It's as anime as balls.
What more do you want?
Go watch it and stop being a loser today. <3
on 11 June 2016
great
on 18 May 2013
Pre ordered this but when it came the packaging was different than that pictured. No problem with that, but the language was Japanese only! I hope the 2nd one I've ordered comes in English! Sure it's a simple mix up in the warehouse. Fingers crossed!!!
1111 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 June 2013
It's one of the few out of my anime collection that comes with Japanese as it's default language setting with pleased me as I can't stand dubs.
I watched the anime online before hand and it quickly became one of my favorites.