Shop now Shop now Shop now Up to 70% off Fashion Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now Amazon Pantry Food & Drink Beauty Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

on 16 June 2010
This is the second bind-up for THE VAMPIRE DIARIES. The Fury and The Reunion were originally published as two separate books; in fact, The Reunion was published some time after The Fury, which effectively closes the trilogy begun with The Awakening and The Struggle). In The Fury Elena, alongside her friends Bonnie and Meredith, struggles to control her nature and discover the source of the evil Power that is haunting Fell's Church. She knows that the only way it can be defeated is if the two vampire brothers Stefan and Damon can put alongside their lifelong enmity and work together. In The Reunion Fell's Church is once again being terrorised by an ancient evil. Damon and Stefan are summoned by Bonnie, Meredith and Matt to face down a powerful villain, who is determined to have Elena for his own.

I enjoyed Volume 1 of THE VAMPIRE DIARIES well enough, my biggest complaint being that the heroine Elena was very hard to take to. I had little sympathy for her plight, feeling that she brought a great deal of her troubles on herself. In The Fury and The Reunion, Elena is a far more well-rounded character -- someone I delighted in spending time with. Her remorse for her previous actions is genuine and made me warm to her greatly, especially a very sweet and necessary scene with Matt:

"OK, so you're here. You're alive," he said roughly. "So what do you want?"
Elena was dumbfounded.
"Come on, there must be something. What is it?"
New tears welled up, but Elena gulped them back. "I guess I deserve that. I know I do. But for once, Matt, I want absolutely nothing. I came to apologise, to say that I'm sorry for using you -- not just that one night, but always..."

In fact, all of the characters are stronger and more developed in these two novels, particularly Damon, who changed from more of a pantomime villain who did evil because he is evil to a man who is conflicted over his relationship with Stefan and seems to want to do the right thing.

L.J. Smith evokes chilling situations with her flowing and very readable prose. We learn along with the characters the nature of the threat, and fear of the unknown creates plenty of spine-tingling moments.

In these two novels, my only complaint was that at times Smith employed deus ex machina to solve her characters' problems or ensure that they understood what was going on. It smacked as slightly lazy, but could be forgiven when the actual story was so gripping.

Elena and Stefan remain an extremely likable couple in the world of YA vampire fiction. I think anyone who has tried and enjoyed Twilight will gain a great measure of satisfaction from the writing of L.J. Smith and her version of the vampire with the tortured soul. Readable.
on 26 March 2009
I waited a while to conclude this series and I was not dissapointed. As with all books it does now beat the first but I thoroughly enjoyed the storyline and the introduction of new characters! Bonnie's diaries were interesting to follow in Dark Reunion and the end of the book really set off the supernatural and impossible outcomes of the world! I will definitely buy the next book as I am now interested in what happens next. Each character has become more interesting and to see the romance between them all blossom, dangerously.
VINE VOICEon 12 March 2010
Having been left reeling at the end of the last book, I could not wait to read and see what became of Elena in this one!

I thought, surely Smith would not take her away so soon, and I was not dissapointed!!!

I love the development of Stefans brother Damon in this and share in Elena's view that there is more to supposedly evil Damen than meets the eye. Of course I love Stefan, Damon's polar opposite, and Stefan lives up to his heroic and proud self in this 2 set book with his continuance to keep to Elena's last wish and look after Damon.

I loved that the brothers after centuries of hating each other over Cathrine come together to fight an evil enemy set on revenge on the town. It is a shock who comes to the rescue for the whole gang in the end... and what happens afterwards to keep you reading the the return/nightfall!

Read it as I promise you will not be disappointed by this amazing series!!! If you dont have time to read it catch the ITV series of it instead :) Either way you will not be dissapointed! :)

Cassandra220689
22 comments5 of 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 December 2011
the first book (the fury0 was an absolutely amazing read, great storytelling throughout, so good infact that i cried at the end, and i don't cry ... ever ... and the fourth book was also an excelent read although considering she finnished writing them in the 90's, then carried them on recently, the second book (the struggle0 is left on a massive cliff hanger!! i started reading them as a result of the tv series and they are SO different! for one, in the book there is a meredith, and caroline hates bonnie and elena !!! and there are SO many more !! to say it was freely adapted is an understatement, although i do love both the books and the tv series :) great read guys !!
on 31 March 2014
This book is one of my favorites and I just love Vampire Diaries! I even watch the show online (http://watchseries.lt/episode/the_vampire_diaries_s4_e13.html) (be sure is on the domain `thevideo.me` or it's not gonna work). This book is amazing, although it's very different from the show.... = best exciting book to read.. When I've got it, it was perfect, totally in a perfect condition... I first thought is NEW..but it was in the best condition it could ever have been.
on 20 February 2008
The vampire diaries series are a fantastic set of books, as soon as I read the first one I couldn't put it down until I'd read them all!
Definately highly reccommended - although be prepared to get totally hooked! BUY THEM!
If you like these, also try "The secret circle", "strange visions" and "year of the cat" trilogies.
on 30 January 2011
Hi, this is more of a question than a review. Does anyone know if/when The Vampire Diaries The Reunion will be available on Kindle? I have started to read the series on my Kindle but the next book in line does not seem to be available yet. The Reunion (The Vampire Diaries)
on 31 October 2013
great read for those interested in the vampire/supernatural genre, alot different then the tv series so fans of the tv series may not enjoy as the characters appearance/personalities and story lines are different, good combination of supernatural and personal traumas in characters
on 5 April 2010
I'm rather ashamed to admit that as I am a woman in her early 30s perhaps this series isn't aimed or marketed at me specifically. But having said that I also have to admit that I am a sucker for a bit of teen vampire fiction having really enjoyed reading the Twilight quadrilogy recently. I was drawn to this tome as I started watching the ITV series, however, this seems to be only very loosly based on some of the characters and situations in the books so don't be disappointed if you don't find it exactly following the story. It also was a bit dated having been written in the early 90s but I really enjoyed that as it took me back to my early teens and the high school setting was reminiscent of the sweet valley high etc books (albeit with more fangs, blood and general spookiness!). Altogether a very enjoyable teen vampire romp!
on 13 March 2009
This version of the book combines 2 of the author's original books into one in the Vampire Diaries series from the 1990s. The story synopsis is provided by Amazon, so I won't go into too much detail but it's generally: girl meets mystery boy who intrigues her and events happen. As the title reveals, there is a vampire in the mix. I bought this book (and the companion one that has the other 2 books) b/c Amazon recommended it based on a Twilight-related purchase and b/c I heard the books had been opted to become a T.V. series--I was curious.

What I liked--this book is set in the 1990s and it was nice to go back to my high school years before cell phones, e-mail, the internet, iTunes, etc. There are several other characters other than the "girl" and the "mystery guy" and they have personality which is a positive. Also, it's an easy read that goes quickly.

What I did not like--the story isn't really developed and it feels like everything happens very quickly. It left me feeling as though a lot of events could have been fleshed out more by the author rather than just happening.

A note to the Twihards & Twilighters (I'm a Twilighter), it goes without saying that this is nothing close to Twilight. I didn't read it thinking it would be, but it's hard to not make comparisons. What is rather interesting is that The Vampire Diaries were written almost 10 years before Twilight and there are some parallels, so one can't help but wonder if Stephanie Meyer read them too? One last comment comparing the two--this book is a lighter version of Twilight. I don't mean lighter in a bad way, just that it lacks all the seriousness and drama that the Twilight books have (some may like that, many others won't).

Final note: I probably would buy this book again.
11 comment4 of 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse