5.0 out of 5 stars This one may slip completely under the radar
This one may slip completely under the radar, but I feel it's worthy of a few words. Why? Simple, it's the first reasonable implantation of full Windows 8 in a tablet that does not either cost a fortune or just suck.

I bought this for my wife who had a Mac Book from years ago that had ground to a halt. She needed something cheap and light as possible that she...
Published 21 months ago by Joey

3.0 out of 5 stars ASUS Let me down this time
As a tablet, the device is fine for every day tasks such as browsing. For the price, it is actually quite perfect. I purchased mine from TESCO in white and immediately found a flaw - the tablet does not work with the OFFICIAL ASUS VivoTab Transleeve! I asked TESCO about this, looked online and found that ASUS have distributed a batch of these tablets with the magnets...
Published 16 months ago by Sean

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a great tablet, 28 April 2013
This tablet is unexpectedly fast considering that it is using an Intel Atom processor.

If the charging system was a little better I would have given it five stars. The unit can only charge over the USB interface and so the USB interface is not available for other devices when charging, a bit of a silly design issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality tablet at good price, 7 April 2013
I have been waiting for the windows 8 tablets to come down in price and as I like Asus products, decided to buy this one. I have not been disappointed.

Pro's

FULL Windows 8 OS. Not RT
Clear, crisp display
Excellent responsive touch screen
Light
Stays very cool, even when video
Micro sd slot for expansion

The unit is easy to charge with a micro usb slot, which can also be used to attach devices. With windows 8 there is still around 25gb of storage left for downloads, and you can use micro sd cards if you want more.

The atom cpu and 2gb of ram handle hd video no problem and theres a mini hdmi slot to connect to your tv.

The only thing I would criticise is that for £400 I would have expected some sort of case, even if it was just a sleeve.

Apart from that, a great piece of kit!

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 24 Mar 2013
This review is from: Asus ViVoTab ME400c 10.1-inch Tablet (White) - (Intel Atom Z2760 1.6GHz Processor, 2GB RAM, 64GB eMMC, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Windows 8 Home) (Personal Computers)
Just got this and absolutely love it. Have installed everything that I wanted. Flash, windows media player classic Winamp etc.. Easy to use and to connect to a home group.

Lost a star just for a couple of minor points

1st - Touch screen can be a bit unresponsive round the edges - could be may chubby fingers! So would have been nice to get a stylus with it.

2nd - Does not come with a micro SD storage card. Even a 1Gb would have done and would let you see if the card reader is working and how fast it is.

So apart from that very happy

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic tablet - highly recommended, 9 Jun 2013
I have been looking to buy a tablet pc for nearly a year now. I have been looking for one that apart from browsing the internet and using apps for entertainment can replace my laptop as well. Ever since Windows 8 has come out I have been looking to find one with the right hardware specs and I have found it.

This tablet pc is absolutely amazing. It is light, looks good and is functional. The size is perfect for using as a tablet. The screen is extremely good and the on screen typing experience very comfortable.

Apart from being a fantastic tablet pc, I have used it for work. I would highly recommend to buy the transleeve cover and keyboard with it. It serves as a stand and the keyboard connects via Bluetooth to the device makes and it makes it even easier to use with all the office programs. Whilst working I have also set this device up with a large monitor through an HDMI cable and connected it to a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. It has worked as well as working on a desktop.

Note: although it states that you can only add a 32 gb micro SD card, I have been able to use a 64 gb one.

On the move it is light, entertaining and you can also work using the keyboard that comes with the transleeve cover.

Window 8 is absolutely fantastic too. Once you use it with a touch screen you realize how good it is. With the desktop function it is also easy to use with a mouse.

If you need to run high powered programs though, obviously the processing speed isn't high enough.

A couple of things to mention though. It has one micro usb port only, so if you want to connect something using a USB port than you need an adaptor. The second thing to mention is that the windows app environment is not that extensive yet. However, as you actually have a proper pc with this tab it is not really a problem as you can load programs on it. Furthermore, the windows app environment is also expanding.

The price for this tab is also among the cheapest in the market.

Buying this tablet pc was the smart choice

Asus ViVoTab ME400c 10.1-inch Tablet (Black) - (Intel Atom Z2760 1.6GHz Processor, 2GB RAM, 64GB eMMC, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Windows 8 Home)Asus Transleeve Bluetooth Keyboard for VivoTab ME400C

5.0 out of 5 stars Great general purpose device, 6 Mar 2013
Mr. I. G. Walker "Ian Walker" (Staunton, Gloucestershire) - See all my reviews
I have owned a couple of iPads and enjoyed them for what they were but this is a slightly different beast!

First off my 'Use Cases':-

1. In the lounge while watching television.
2. In bed before going to sleep

(for anything else I would use a more powerful laptop)

The iPad has served well for both the above but what was always missing was a 'no faff' keyboard and my own desire to utilise a mouse 'just to get things done' Enter the VIVO - it excels in both these areas (I use a Microsoft 'Wedge' mouse which is an ideal partner).

Use often begins by me picking up the slate sans keyboard and progressing until such time as I was to send an email or do some 'real work' at which time I reach for the keyboard & mouse! Sadly, same thing often happens in bed (I should probably be sleeping).

My wife has a Surface RT - which is great in all areas but the 'in the lap' and 'in bed' scenarios where it is a but cumbersome to use. This is a great alternative!

5.0 out of 5 stars ipad killer, 17 July 2013
Firstly windows 8 Is brilliant on tablet and so much easier than ios. I got mine from pc world and it comes with free, Microsoft word,exel, powerpoint and OneNote. I haven't experienced any lag performance, but remember this is a tablet, not a pc, so you aren't going to be doing hd video editing on it. The full flash support makes web browsing much better than iPad.

My Mum has an ipad 4, we compared the graphics by watching a hd video, and this tablet and the ipad both have the same image sharpness/resolution, the difference came it the colour contrasts, the me400c had more realistic colours, whilst ipads retina display gave whiter whites, but all other colours where articifical looking, and browns/sandy colours where purple tinted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for professional survey work, 3 April 2013
Mr. T. Gettins (UK) - See all my reviews
We're using this tablet for professional asset survey work.

It is light, runs a full version of Office and boasts an effective camera with LED flash. The WiFi works fine. The battery life is excellent.

Most importantly: the tablet is only about £400. That's a real game changer - less than half the price of the Windows tablets we were using before.

Slight drawback: the Vivotab is not ruggedised or shock-cased.

However when you have seen the pathetic smashed remains of as many high-end tablets as I have - dropped onto prison floors or lighthouse steps or concrete hardstanding by errant surveyors - you'll appreciate how infrequently ruggedisation actually works to protect your investment.

At 400 quid, when your surveyors accidentally drop-kick the Vivotab across a carpark and under the wheels of a Renault Espace you can just replace it.

Acessories:
I've tested all kinds of USB to micro-USB adaptor with this tablet. They all work: cheap 30p units from HK or sleek OTG connectors.

For fine control (where you e.g. have survey software with slightly over-small buttons) buy some cheap 30p UC pens. Use a light touch for best results. Don't mash the rubber tip into the screen like I did and wonder 'why the goram pen isn't working'. It works fine.

Hope this was helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect tablet, 15 Aug 2014
I have had this excellent tablet for Windows 8 now for quite some time ( upon receival, I first did a system update and bios update.) After that, upgrading to windows 8.1., with its 2014 april update went smoothly., Scrolling is fast and Wifi is excellent.. I later also bought the BT keyboard, and a separate tiny mouse, all works well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good full Windows 8 tablet, but not without its foibles, 31 May 2014
I wanted a tablet that would run Windows legacy software, had the ability to expand its storage in the form of a micro SD slot and didn't cost the earth. For my requirements, an IPad is too restricted and too expensive. Also I don't like being one of the herd! I considered an Android tablet, but decided to go for Windows. The Nokia Lumia 2520 was on the shortlist, but in the end was ruled out because it has Windows RT, which is a shame. I then found the Asus on special offer for £159.99 at a local branch of Beyond Computers. For £219.99 I could have had the version with full-blown MS Office, but as I could get the full Office 2013 Professional through work for under 8 quid, I went for the cheaper one.

I got a decent screen protector (three in a pack for a fiver), a BobjGear rugged case and a 32GB micro SD card. I also bought an OTG micro USB to full size USB connector.

I've now had it for nearly two months, and so far my impressions are pretty positive. One of the first things I did was to upgrade it to Windows 8.1, which took forever, but that's apparently par for the course. I've installed a few things from the Windows Store (it may have less on offer than the competition but it has what I need, and you can always download other stuff from the internet anyway). The virtual keyboard is fine (I'm writing this review using it), the screen is more than adequate, likewise the processor which is good enough for general computer work and watching movies etc. This is not a gaming machine, nor, I suspect, is it meant to be.

Windows 8.1 is a perfectly ok OS - for tablets. You can of course use the Asus in desktop mode, but it's at its best using the tiles. It's a real boon being able to pin and unpin tiles to and from the screen, resize them and regroup them.

Ok, the foibles: Like other Windows devices, it developed a mind of its own as regards shutting down unexpectedly when in sleep mode. This first happened after an update and the installation of a couple of downloads from the Windows store. Restarting it was a pain as it took a prolonged holding in of the power button to wake it from its coma. I trawled the various fora and eventually found a solution that apparently worked - disable "fast start" in the power settings menu. This appears to have done the trick, but time will tell.

The next point isn't really a foible, more of a design issue, specifically a connectivity one. Micro HDMI is fine, but it really needs more than one USB slot, rather than just one that doubles as the charging connection. There isn't enough juice in battery mode to power, for example, an external hard drive (I mean a 2.5" USB powered one) and so it would have been great to have had a second slot alongside the charging one so you could run power-hungry peripherals with the tablet connected to the National Grid. A second USB slot would be a boon therefore, especially a full-size one.

Ok, I have gone on for long enough. To sum up, I am happy with my purchase, especially at the price. I will take it on holiday with me soon and will update this review in due course after I've lived with the device for longer.

5.0 out of 5 stars my vivotab, 10 April 2013
I have been waiting for this tablet to become available for weeks. It is everything I hoped for. It is the full windows 8 so able to do heaps of stuff. It is not cheap but a better price than others around. It is fast and kept me fascinated eversince I received it. I just love it. The only criticism I have is that there are few instructions, none online and almost no accessories yet available. Sleeves are all a fraction too small and the protectors were imported from USA but are available. It is a tad heavy but I still adore it.