5.0 out of 5 stars Stimulating stories with our future in mind
Published 15 months ago by David Norminton

3.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking
I enjoyed most of the stories although a lot of them painted a dark picture of the future of humanity - worth a read though
Published 10 months ago by Jayne Miller

5.0 out of 5 stars Stimulating stories with our future in mind, 10 April 2013
This review is from: Beacons: Stories for our Not So Distant Future (Kindle Edition)
This is a collection of short stories visualising our future as imagined by a number of well known authors. All proceeds are going to the stop climate chaos coalition. Some stories are better than others but the great majority are stimulating and thought provoking and a pleasure to read. I particularly enjoyed the stories by Joanne Harris, Alasdair Gray and Lawrence Norfolk. Buy it, read and think about where we are going

3.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking, 1 Sep 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Some outstanding stories, 2 Jun 2013
Big fan of futuristic stuff like John Wyndham's, and many stories in here didn't disappoint. Only a couple were a bit below par, but on the whole a very thought-provoking and enjoyable collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 13 May 2013
S. Bell (Midlands UK) - See all my reviews
I love this book! Packed with short stories of the future as imagined by authors, this book has something for everyone. Incredibly thought provoking.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great compilation, 28 Aug 2013
Short stories with a strong message. Interesting read, often very pacey. Some stories a little more difficult to connect with than others.

3.0 out of 5 stars A curate's egg, 4 July 2013
Some very good stories, some good, some less good, none dull. Many thought-provoking.

This book should be required reading for anybody who aspires to power.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not my cup of tea, 27 Jun 2013
None of these stories grabbed me in the slightest so perhaps i've missed the point entirely. Could this be a sign of my advancing years or just that i've read some very good stories in the past.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hearts not in it, 27 May 2013
David Mathews "David" (Bath UK and Dourgne France) - See all my reviews
When writers write, they write about what moves them or amuses them. When they write to someone else's theme what happens? Writing to order is a necessary skill - for advertisers, PR folk, journalists, but can strip away conviction in someone spinning a tale. So what we have here, from excellent writers contributing to the entirely worthy theme of looking at our dodgy future, are stories that seem forced, trying too hard to illustrate a message and ending up dull. Did anyone have fun writing these? Doesn't feel like it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 20 Jun 2013
Only a couple of the stories showed an understanding of how anthropogenic climate change could potentially affect Earth and human society.

1.0 out of 5 stars The is no future here, 23 April 2013
Beacons: Stories for Our Not So Distant Future
I do not know whether I will finish reading the stories in this book.
The first story is not 'great' but o.k. with a sense of humour.
The next few stories show no sense of the beauty of our language just crude writing style and equally crude vocabulary.
I think that I made a mistake when I purchased this book and cannot recomend it.