5.0 out of 5 stars jonathan creek great
I have got all jonathan creek series + specials, and will get more for the family collection when i cane.Thank you susanannmary
Published 3 months ago by sam

3.0 out of 5 stars Is This Really Jonathan?
Published 15 months ago by Anne, a selective viewer

3.0 out of 5 stars Is This Really Jonathan?, 19 April 2013
This review is from: Jonathan Creek - The Clue of the Savant's Thumb [DVD] (DVD)
I know that I am merely rehashing what all the other reviewers have written, but after watching this I felt confused. There were many elements that gave it that Jonathan Creek atmosphere, except for Jonathan. What they have done to his character is absurd and nonsensical. That he, a quiet introvert genius, would leave his gorgeous and beloved windmill, his life's work, all his magic files and possessions, Victorian posters... his whole life; and suddenly marry a shallow bossy woman who turns him into a boring old corporate business man and makes him live in a ghastly ultra-modern box of a house. He even had to hide his trusty duffle coat in the back of the closet! It doesn't make sense at all and he looked rather miserable throughout the whole episode, like a fish out of water. Very strange and wrong.

2.0 out of 5 stars Mr Renwick, what have you done with Mr Creek?, 7 April 2013
Firstly I am a huge Creek fan and have been following the series since the beginning. I am also an avid follower of Alan Davies career, have been for the last 14 years. This episode was long awaited and it was with great excitement that I sat down to watch it. Unfortunately I was bitterly disappointed.

The positives - the cast are great. Alan Davies of course always manages to pull off a combination of puppy dog eyes, lateral thinking faces and humour without appearing smug or dislikeable. Sheridan Smith was highly entertaining, my favourite actor in this piece. It was great to see Rik Mayall back as good old Gideon Pryke. Nigel Planer also returns but, annoyingly, as a new character. I found this inconsistent as he was previously Sheldon in Series 1, episode 3 and thought it odd that Mayall was allowed to return as his original character but Planer was not. It was almost as if they expected viewers to not have seen the previous episodes. Joanna Lumley gives a great performance as someone haunted by her own conscious. Supporting cast were also strong. It was a shame not to see Stuart Milligan return as Klaus, so we can only hope he will feature again in future episodes.

However there were numerous things wrong with this episode in my opinion. Most importantly for me the aspects that made `Creek `special as both a character and a series are now diminished if not non-existent.

I had always admired Creek's eccentricities. The fact he was a loner always resonated with me and his living in a windmill added to a bit of mystical charm. But what do we find here? He's suddenly married living in some sort of suburban mansion with no plausible explanation as to why he's left his beloved windmill which had been in his family five generations. To have him in a long term relationship I could have understood (he's been in those before) but to have him married off so quickly was a step too far for me. If the relationship had developed over a couple of previous episodes perhaps it would have been more believable. If common interests, sense of humour and emotion between Mr and Mrs Creek had been portrayed throughout the episode I'm sure I would have accepted it. Perhaps then we could have seen why he gave up his old life for a new one. In addition to find Creek in a new home and even in a new job so completely different to his previous one within three years I did not find in keeping with the character. Creek has always been (largely) a creature of habit. Why would he leave the career he has always loved to suddenly take up an office in marketing? I'm sure we could all understand him wanting a change of boss but an entire career change? Sorry, I couldn't get my head round it. But why Jonathan Creek married this particular woman is the biggest mystery of all the episodes. She's attractive (and I've nothing against Sarah Alexander who plays the role) but we know Creek always looks beneath the surface...and I saw no substance in her character.

With these shocking new developments I cannot tell you the sense of relief I felt when the duffle coat finally emerged and our hero appeared to be `reborn' to solve the crime. Sadly I felt the crimes were rather predictable. The explanations for the levitating bed, marks on forehead and encounters with God were easy to decipher. The main mystery of the vanishing body was more difficult but the ideas that I and my fellow observers came up with were not far off from the resolution - I remember the days when a Creek episode was difficult to solve (Series 1, 2 and 3 anyone?). Also when did it become so farcical? The last 15 minutes I found ridiculous and nonsensical.

It seems that the curly hair and duffel coat are the only remnants left of what was a great series. I understand there are another 3 episodes planned for 2014. I never thought I would say this, and am saddened to do so, but if they are anything like this one I would rather they did not happen. Further deteriotion would be too much to bare. Dear Mr Renwick, if you are to continue please bring the original Creek back. Not this strange new shadow we appear to have been presented with here. The brightest lights always leave the darkest shadows...

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 4 April 2013
Okay, I love Jonathan Creek: it's fun, it always looks gorgeous, and its puzzles can be terrific. The more I see of special episodes, though, the more it seems like the formula needs to be kept within an hour, and this is one of the worse ones: over-complicated and ultimately unsatisfying.

To work, the puzzles need to meet certain criteria. We need to have all the information available for us to solve them, they need to have a completely physical explanation, and they need to involve lateral thinking. These puzzles depend on a number of things that don't really work with those. There's no way to talk about it without giving away some details, so skip this paragraph if you like, but ... the explanations very often feel thin. A vision is explained by the victim having been drugged: apart from the fact that this seems an implausible thing for nuns to do, placing the explanation in drugs is very close to 'then I woke up and found it was all a dream': it means the explanation rests in the witness's perceptions having been distorted instead of what they're supposed to be with a magic trick: accurate, but misdirected. It isn't as clever as you'd want from a Jonathan Creek episode. A lot of murder attempts are explained by unknown Special Forces people operating around the margins, trying to cover up something that we, the audience, were not told about: this is unfair, because it hides so much from us that we can't guess based on what we have, and it's also unsatisfying because so much of the explanation depends on the actions of characters who aren't really part of the story. The biggest mystery, a disappearing body, does have a good explanation in terms of stage magic, but the characters who set it up don't have a plausible motivation: usually the motives are fairly simple, like revenge, but this is just vague and silly. Besides that, we have two incidents of deaths being accidents that were covered up: that's repetitive.

Add to this the fact that this episode, screened very shortly after the death of Lucy Meadows, plays a character's transsexuality mostly for laughs, and you have to wonder what they were thinking.

I love Jonathan Creek when it's good, but this is completely off its game. When it worked, it worked because of a complicated explanation for a simple scenario. This has an over-complicated scenario and a bunch of hand-waving explanations, and it just doesn't satisfy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the Jonathan Creek we know...., 11 May 2013
Having been longtime fans of Jonathan Creek, we were mildly disappointed with this latest installment.
Without giving away the plot, I will only say that the writers have mucked around too much with the basic back story and, in doing so, have removed most of the quirkiness that made the show so appealing (to me, anyway).
The story starts off well enough and has you eagerly anticipating a classic mystery, but it soon descends into a very complicated, hard to follow riddle.
Still good viewing if you've nothing better to do, but certainly not classic Creek!

1.0 out of 5 stars Lost The Plot, 7 April 2013
If this had been a pilot there wouldn't have been a series ! Sorry, but the script let down good actors, good production values etc.

I just hope that David Renwick was having a bad day and that those around him were asleep and hence unable to "advise".

Sadly, this episode failed in so many ways: unbelievable character development; pointless ornamentation and a poor plot.

Certainly develop the characters, but don't lose their essence in doing so.... did anyone believe Creek's marriage and new career ? I doubt it. I don't think DR believed it either, because he had to have Creek explain it repeatedly !

Why was Gideon wheelchair bound ? Dubious comic effect ? To enable the absurd climax?

One plot wasn't good enough, so we had three this time. Convent mystery, vanishing corpse and government cover up conspiracy. The layering and mixing of these (really) seperate elements was no substitute for a single well crafted mystery.

As a Creek fan I'm so disappointed to have to criticise.

3.0 out of 5 stars Has the spark completely gone?, 2 April 2013
J Bate (Hartlepool) - See all my reviews
Well I would describe myself as a die hard Creek fan, I've seen every episode multiple times and always found the original series to be absolute genius in more ways than one - the subtle comic moments and subplots - the level of perfection in the casting of every character and of course the bewildering murder cases, and the two come back specials broadcast in 2009 and 2010 I felt were very much a continuation of the later series and weren't too far away in the general feel if that makes sense. This special however, felt quite away from what has gone before it - the mystery itself felt a little like a rehash of the episode 'Dance Macabre' in a few ways but the idea that Jonathan had broke away completely from his life working partner, magician Adam Klaus, sold off his windmill and lifelong home, got a high class job and married in three years after spending the best part of 15 years changing only by getting slightly greyer didn't sit particularly well with me. Maybe I just don't want to let go, but I didn't feel this was necessary, he hasn't been away that long and three years certainly isn't long, perhaps if they did this sort of reboot - back in the saddle thing when the show returned in 2009 it would have made a little more sense, but I wasn't completely satisfied with it. I did enjoy the returning character as played by Rick Mayall who was a blast from the past and an unmistakable Renwick creation, something this special seemed to be lacking without Mayall - a comedic character who plays the whole thing straight - found in the last special in the form of Doreen Mantle (Mrs Warboys to you or me); This is obviously a reason for which he was included, perhaps Renwick didn't want to write the same character twice when an already perfectly formed version was waiting.
With the addition of Mayall there was the return of Sheridan Smith as Joey Ross - basically a slightly younger and slimmer version of Carole Quentin's character - something I noticed here, her manner and general boisterousness are not dissimilar to the original sidekick so one wonders why she couldn't have been written back into it - she would certainly be welcomed. That is not to say Sheridan does not do the part justice because she most certainly did, and I find her much more right then Julia Sawalha for the most part.
One thing I noticed was the absence of Adam Klaus - aforementioned life long working partner of Creek, who appeared in almost if not every episode of the original series and I both recent special episodes but was not heard of in this episode. Maybe this was to fit with Creek's new life and job but and maybe he just couldn't be fitted into the plot but I do hope he doesn't disappear entirely in the light of the new series that is to be made as I always enjoyed the character and felt it worked extremely well at various times. I found myself asking the question, has the spark completely gone, but I feel safe to say no it hasn't, once the duffle coat was donned things seemed to settle down as normal in minutes and I felt right at home in the world of genius created by the great David Renwick.
Although the plot wasn't as solid as in previous stories, it was still a good episode and remarkably better than the drivel we get on television these days and when I saw that 90s titlecard and heard the music I found myself wondering whether it will get the axe in favour of some new reality TV show. Even with a somewhat uninspiring mystery, the world created by Renwick is pure escapism in itself and I will always find comfort in his work.

2.0 out of 5 stars Daft Plot, 25 April 2013
JLH (Clacton, England) - See all my reviews
I agree with much that has already been said about this episode. I love the original series (I have the box set), and the cast is great etc.
However, as much as I admire the writer David Rewicks' work (amongst his other work is the series 'One Foot In The Grave') I think this time he seems to have run out of ideas.
I thought the plot so stupid I got a fit of the 'giggles'. I am a chap of 68 years old and not some silly schoolgirl! Anyway, I just could not help myself. I won't give away any plot spoilers- but for me it was too daft to be plausible in the slightest degree. When Johnathan Creek got out the old duffle coat the only thing missing was the fanfair. No, sorry David, I won't be buying this DVD and only hope any other one offs come with a much better plot.

3.0 out of 5 stars Liked it but .................., 18 April 2013
Like many other reviewers, I am a long time Jonathan Creek fan and I enjoyed the episode. It was great to see him back on our screens, to see how he'd got on over the years.

I thought the story was OK, loved Alan Davies, Joanna Lumley and Rik Mayall but missed Klaus, the windmill and the magic tricks

However, really enjoyed it and I hope there will be more.

I would LOVE to see Jonathan and Maddy reunited in an episode. There is so much hilarious potential in that! Mr Renwick, do you have Caroline Quentin's contact details ? ................

2.0 out of 5 stars Verity Lambert... sorely missed..., 12 April 2013
J. R. Turner "Jenny" (Wales) - See all my reviews
I'm a long-time Jonathan Creek fan, it's my all-time favourite programme and I really wanted to love this latest offering. I didn't. I didn't even like it. The mystery and mystique have all but disappeared from the series. The last 'acceptable' episode was 'The Judas Tree' and even that showed signs of a downward spiral.

What possessed the producers to make Jonathan married to a woman like that? Move him out of his windmill? Take away any reference to magicians and smoke and mirrors? Insane!

I know it's too much to ask to get Caroline Quentin back in a reprised role as Maddie, I'm fond of Sheridan Smith. Julia Sawalha/Ade Edmonson are an annoying combination. Even the undoubted talents of Sheridan Smith couldn't pull this storyline together. It goes without saying that Alan Davies is a genuis and the only one for the JC role but with the best will in the world, what was he supposed to do with THIS?

The story was so odd, implausible and quite pointless. I just don't understand what's happened and am so disappointed. Surely the whole concept can't have hinged on Verity Lambert?

I understand that three more episodes have been commissioned. I hope to goodness they are better than this. The winning formula worked... why meddle with it? Please, producers, if you have any thought for your viewers, re-watch Series 1-4 and see if you can recreate the magic that's still there...

Regrettably, I won't be buying 'The Savant's Thumb', I don't want to watch it again.

3.0 out of 5 stars Creaky Creek, 3 April 2013
A. J. Toll (UK) - See all my reviews
Easter Hols, return of an old favourite and a 90-minute special. Wonderful. 3/4ths of the Young Ones reassembled for good measure! Joanna Lovely spooked out by dodgy goings on in Girls' School flashbacks! I cosied up in my armchair, with copious nibbles and real ale to hand.

The build-up was fine; plenty of shenanigans to confuse the issue and further creepiness. It was though Jonathan had never been away! Moment to savour - the donning of the comfy dufflecoat which told the viewer that this latter-day Sherlock Holmes had accepted the challenge.

Unfortunately the botched and flat ending let down all the good stuff in the build up. Surely police attending a crime scene would make a better effort of searching it? The denouement was muddled, confused and cluttered with irrelevancies.

Fortunately I enjoyed the first 70 minutes so much that I would still welcome a more permanent return of this well-defined and interesting character.

More Creek but less Creaky, please!

Jonathan Creek - The Clue of the Savant's Thumb [DVD]