5.0 out of 5 stars Didn't get it at first... But then it got me good.
Published 13 months ago by megadieftw

3.0 out of 5 stars Megadeths 14th album
So after 13 which whilst a decent album had a few flaws with repetition and over loud production came supercollider now this album was recorded very quickly which may be one of the reasons why this album is not too good it seems bland I'm not keen on the production and there is not enough complex Broderick solos.

The good bits, well the downtuning whilst not...
Published 5 months ago by theo

5.0 out of 5 stars Didn't get it at first... But then it got me good., 4 Jun 2013
This review is from: Super Collider (Audio CD)
There's been a colossal amount of feedback from fans and the media alike regarding this album. I have to admit I didn't know what to expect and upon my first listen I let the trashy reviews get to me and I was pretty disappointed... however a fair few considered listens later the fog cleared and I have to say I really like it. First up, if you're a thrash nut who listens to stuff like slayer, early tallica, kreator, testament etc then no, this isn't the album for you, check out Endgame. But, as we've witnessed from CTE to now, Megadeth can do a lot more than thrash and this is one of their finest examples.

After Endgame came out I thought wow, they've smashed it, what are they gonna do next? Th1rt3en was good, but I have to admit I didn't think it was up to par in the same way, but then it was their last record for Roadrunner so I think it was probably done to finish the contract (hence the mish-mash of old demos/half-released songs from various eras and two songs written for video games).

Super Collider is cut from an altogether different cloth. It's got genuinely some of the most interesting and new songwriting the band have put out in a while, I'm not going to claim they're the new grand innovators in metal or that no one else has done anything like this but I really like the sound and for Megadeth, this is pretty novel (check The Blackest Crow). There are plenty of really cool guitar licks, riffs and melodies that you wouldn't expect to hear from a deth record, though the core elements are still there. A key example would be Dance in the Rain. A fantastic track mixing old and new perfectly. And featuring some of Dave's best vocals in a while, plus a surprisingly good cameo from David Draiman (Disturbed/Device).

Anyway it's hard to explain exactly why I like this album so much, but all I would say is, you're not all going to dig it fair enough, but, give it a fair go and try and ignore the biased reviews. Trust me, there are some super cool riffs and actually, with the D tuning, megs actually haven't sounded this heavy in a while, but it's Sabbath heavy, slower but crushing and really really cool (and you can definitely hear the Sabbath influences). A great example is the beginning of sorrow. Slower, but crushing with a super cool riff and some great singing.

One final thing, the artwork is stunning. The cover's really cool (and is the best 3D cover I've ever seen, perfect idea) but wow, the booklet art is the best artwork Megadeth have had in the modern era and it is definitely up there with the classics. Cyborg/robot vic looks so damn badass, John Lorenzi has done a stellar job. I would get it just for that, I can't wait for my vinyl to arrive to see it in large!

In conclusion, thrash nuts won't find much to love (Evile's new album Skull will do you there), but for those who fancy giving this a go, it rewards those who give it a fair chance... and there's the artwork!

Update: In response to a review above, David's bass is very clear on this album, you can definitely hear it well and he has some really cool parts.

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS COMPLETELY DELIVERS ON EVERY LEVEL. SUPERB., 21 Nov 2013
Lexx (Worcestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Super Collider (Audio CD)
Yet again, I'm provoked into writing because I'm shaking my head with astonishment at some of the reviews I'm seeing here. 'It's not exactly metal'? And, god forbid, there's a 'single' on it? Obviously many of these correspondents were not even alive back in the day. 'Peace Sells..?' What was that - chopped liver?
If you love your Thrash catchy, groovy, tuneful ( gasp! ), this will rock your world. Listen to the opener. Try NOT nodding your head in supreme obeisance at the swaggering confidence in those sinuous, killer riffs. The guitar tone is GLORIOUS. Clear as a bell, without losing any power.
Maybe Mustaine isn't bothered about writing those tortuous, labyrinthine guitar lines anymore? Maybe he'd rather write 'songs'? He still throws in those effortless curveballs that stop things becoming predictable, but he does it without feeling the need to grandstand. Why should he? He has nothing left to prove. If Metallica actually made an album this good - with a similar production - we would all be bowing to the gods of metal that they found their mojo again. But they never will. This is Metal at it's most thrilling and crowd-pleasing. Fantastic.

4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed it but it's not for everyone, 5 Jun 2013
This review is from: Super Collider (MP3 Download)
If you're expecting Rust in peace, Peace sells or End game you'll be disappointed but it's still a very good album, admittedly not exactly metal and not exactly what you'd expect from a megadeth album but the guitar riffs are furious and you'll still have a good time listening to this as long as you go in to this knowing full well that this isn't the usual megadeth album. So if you're expecting Peace sells and you won't be happy with anything else don't buy this album but if you're okay with the fact that they are doing something different here then by all means this is the album for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Megadeth classic, 6 Jun 2013
J. M. Rickman "zoo" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Super Collider (Audio CD)
Having read the negative reviews I foolishly expected the worst on this album. At my age I should have known to listen then judge for myself. Having heard it I can honestly say I love it. Dance in the Rain may well be the best Megadeth song on any album, full stop. I literally got goose bumps. Expecting a "rock" album I was happily surprised to hear metal and heavy riffs aplenty. I am left wondering what album those who think it sounds like Risk were actually listening to. This is certainly not a soft album, and in totality nothing, absolutely nothing like Risk, or even Cryptic Writings for that matter. I cannot emphasise that enough- this is NOT Risk 2. In all (all songs combined) I found it heavier (whatever that means anyway) than Youthanasia, Countdown to Extinction or any of their other slower, less thrashy albums. The fact is Megadeth have always included melody in their songs, more than the other members of the big four of thrash. It is no secret; listen to any of their first four albums and you will find melody in abundance on those too, and they are the albums everyone considers their true thrash era. I am not sure why this album is getting some one star reviews, but each to their own. Maybe Megadeth are judged harder than other metal bands, who knows? For what it is worth I would say it combines elements of their first four albums, with bits of United Abominations and Endgame, plus some of Countdown to Extinction and The World Needs a Hero. I enjoyed it far, far more than Thirteen too. Bands cannot win sometimes; if they don't change people say they sound the same album after album. If they do change, even a little, they get people pointing the finger at that too. As a Megadeth fan I say forget labels and buy and enjoy. In the end who cares if it is called thrash, rock or metal or, as in this case, a seamless hybrid of all three. It is just good music played by extremely talented musicians. Great artwork inside and out too. PS Vic is on the cover, look down the tunnel. As a Megadeth fan I say forget pointless labels and enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely a welcome addition to the Megadeth discography, 8 Feb 2014
MR MANSOOR A A CHOUDHURY (Bradford, West Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Super Collider (Audio CD)
Based on the initial buzz, I thought this would be another just-OK effort like Thirteen.

Couldn't have been more wrong.

The writing, musicianship, social commentary and imagination displayed here are first-rate with Dance In The Rain being a track that can very easily slot into a Top 10 list of all-time great Megadeth tracks.

If you were thinking of giving this a miss, you are seriously missing out.

It's not Rust In Peace 2 but far, far above creative misfires and disappointments like Risk..

3.0 out of 5 stars Megadeths 14th album, 8 Feb 2014
This review is from: Super Collider (Audio CD)

The good bits, well the downtuning whilst not making it much heavier may have helped and songs like don't turn your back and dance in the rain and even the blackest crow are actually decent songs this album is not awful but its one of the weakest megadeth albums.

4.0 out of 5 stars The latest Megadeth album took a bit of time to get used to, but now I can't stop playing it., 27 July 2013
This review is from: Super Collider (Audio CD)
Took a bit of time to settle in, but great riffs and lines e.g. "The sands of the hour glass fall for us all".

Simply love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars megadeth, 21 July 2013
This review is from: Super Collider (Audio CD)
nice,so nice,Dave Mustaine is doing well,still,good old metal,precious music,finally all those 80s heroes still hold the flag up and high

4.0 out of 5 stars Moving on..., 13 Jun 2013
This review is from: Super Collider (MP3 Download)
This album took a few listens. It's had plenty of scorn, and my initial reaction was it was half baked. Saw them live, and it began to grow. Having re-toured "Countdown" for the 20th celebrations, the songcrafting rather than songthrashing vibe of that era seems to be the influence here. Speed-pop-groove-metal call it what you want, it sounds more like a band contribution than anything that Megadeth have produced in years. Of course, judge for yourself...

2.0 out of 5 stars Super Collider, 27 Jan 2014
This review is from: Super Collider (Audio CD)
Having been a fan of Megadeth since a friend played me Skin o' my Teeth several years ago, I was looking forward to this album, especially as it was being released just days before I was due to see them in concert. Despite the signs not looking good - the band leaving the label they had enjoyed something of a renaissance with, as well as the short gap between this album and the preceding one, Th1rt3en - I had high hopes.

I was to be disappointed, however. Super Collider is truly a lackluster effort from Mustaine and co, with little to recommend it. Kingmaker kicks off the album spectacularly, a galloping pace calling to mind Public Enemy No. 1 from the previous album. Following this, however, it goes rapidly downhill. The title track follows, and is a dull, plodding rock song that feels twice as long as it actually is. Mustaine's voice is noticeably not suited to holding long notes in this song, indeed it has always been better suited to snapping and sneering out punchier stuff than this. The only thing that Super Collider really has going for it is that at least it isn't the next song - Burn! On my first listen through the album, this song is where the alarms really started ringing for me. Cheesy lyrics, failed attempts at anthemic singalong moments... it's just not up to the standard we've come to expect from the band. Worse than both of these two, however is the dreadful Built for War, perhaps the worst song Megadeth have ever put their name to. A clever and complicated attempt at arrhythmic lyrics in the verse gives the impression that everybody is just keen to get to the end of the song and almost tripping over each other musically, with Mustaine providing his own dreadful backing vocals - when he sings "Built for war" after every other line in the verse, it actually sounds like he's gone back to the song after it was finished and stuck it in for kicks. It just doesn't work.

The juvenile lyricism continues in Off the Edge, with unimaginative rhyming triplets, empty of meaning and sentiment resulting in a totally forgettable song. Dance in the Rain follows, and is OK. That's all. Spoken word segments put me in mind of Amerikhastan (from the much better United Abominations). At around the three and a half minute mark, David Draiman from Disturbed pops up to have a go at singing, which I suppose is nice for a change, particularly if you like Disturbed. I don't, myself, but that's not to say anything against Draiman's singing, which is fine. It does mark a total tonal shift in the song, however, which falls a bit flat. Had the song been written around this segment rather than being one three and a half minute song with another little bit of a song stuck on the end of it, it might have worked better, but as it stands it only makes you sit up and take notice because you're confused about which track you're listening to.

The Beginning of Sorrow assures us that there will be no tomorrow. Over and over again. Like the title track, once you've listened to this interminable song you'll be surprised to find you still have time left in the day to do other things. It's another plodding, pedestrian number, with a boring solo to boot.Towards the end it threatens to get going, before sinking back into a mire of repeated lyrics. Some time ago, Megadeth were accused of having pro-suicide lyrics in some songs, which was of course ridiculous. The Beginning of Sorrow, however, might just have the power to push people over the edge if you force them to listen to all of it, so be warned.

The Blackest Crow displays at least an attempt to experiment, combining bluegrass elements with the hard rock sound to reasonably diverting effect. This worked well for High Speed Dirt, and shows at least that the band are still up for doing things a bit differently. The song itself is another fairly average, cliche ridden affair though. Forget to Remember has the most pop metal intro and riffs of the album, and in fact wouldn't sound out of place on Risk (where it would still compare unfavourably to Breadline, Insomnia and Crush 'Em). It moves things along at a reasonably jaunty pace, with a singalong chorus that one can imagine working well in a live setting (I have to imagine, they of course didn't play it when I saw them, only Super Collider, Kingmaker and Cold Sweat making the cut for the set). It's a fun song, with entertaining guitar fills and a nicely cheesy telephone conversation, but a bit of a throwaway number. It would probably sit fairly well on The System has Failed too, but suffers poorly when compared to any of the songs on their too.

Bizarrely out of place jazz noodling signals the opening of Don't Turn Your Back... which is another decent song - the drumming is especially good on this track, and pairs well with the riffage at the beginning and throughout, so it at least has that going for it, but it's another chorus heavy number with no incisive lyrics or especially interesting points to make.

The final track is one of the best on the album, but it's debatable how much of that is down to Megadeth, what with it not being their song. Cold Sweat, originally by Thin Lizzy, is a great, fun way to close an album that's otherwise full of dull filler. When one of the best tracks on the album is a thirty year old cover song, that's probably a bad sign.

In conclusion, Super Collider is an odd release from a band such as Megadeth. In recent years, it seemed like Dave Mustaine had worked through a lot of things, resolved a lot of differences, and gone a long way towards healing himself. The System has Failed and United Abominations showed a band that could still claim relevance when surrounded on all sides by those they inspired, with Endgame showing them how it should be done. The slight decline in quality between Endgame and Th1rt3en should perhaps have served as more of a warning than it did, but nobody could have expected this. Super Collider is, quite simply, the worst album Megadeth have put out. It's not bad because it "isn't thrash enough" or anything like that, it's just bad music. They've done albums which I've found unmemorable (Youthanasia, Cryptic Writings, World Needs a Hero), and an album which was totally left-field (Risk), but they've never done one which is just plain bad. Until now, anyway. With recent years seeing a resurgence in thrash, and a multitude of quality releases (Worship Music by Anthrax, The Electric Age by Overkill, The Dream Calls for Blood by Death Angel, and more besides), Megadeth need to up their game, or risk being left in the dust by their peers.

Super Collider
Super Collider by Megadeth (Audio CD - 2013)