5.0 out of 5 stars Olafur arnalds with a change
The new album by arnalds is as ever a stunning pice of work. Piano, violins and the works. This album has the adding of a vocal as well. The normal neo classical songs are as with all arnalds work beutifull and haunting. If your a fan of his early work these songs will not disappoint. There similar in nature to the old.
The new adding of a vocal at first was a little...
Published 12 months ago by A. Holyoake

3.0 out of 5 stars A departure from 'the norm', but dissapointing in my eyes
I am a long time fan of the music of Arnalds. He is a genre crossing artist whose work contains compositions of great beauty and interest.
Published 17 months ago by Martin Butcher

5.0 out of 5 stars Olafur arnalds with a change, 26 July 2013
This review is from: For Now I am Winter (Audio CD)
The new adding of a vocal at first was a little disappointing to me. I didn't like the vocal and wanted the songs as they have always been. That was until a few listens in. The vocals fit the slightly darker and low music of arnalds and even when it's upbeat the vocals fit well. The vocals I think add to the album totally.
The album mey not have been as good without them as they re an added catch and something new.
Love this album now .
As a fan of all his work I was initially disappointed but a few plays in I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 3 April 2013
This review is from: For Now I am Winter (Audio CD)
Ólafur Arnalds third studio Album "For Now I Am Winter" is one of the best albums I have heard in years!!

The tracks seamlessly lead from one to the other making this not a compilation of 12 different songs but one big journey, one big symphony that is best listened to from beginning to end and as loud as your speakers can bare.

Starting of very quiet and simple, he manages to build up tension through the first half of the album climaxing in the epic "Reclaim" my personal favourite. The second half gradually reduces this tension, ending with the very simple but beautiful "Carry Me Anew". Arnalds presents us a full circle, an album that can and should be listened to over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 15 May 2013
This review is from: For Now I am Winter (Audio CD)
I love this collaboration of music by Olafur Arnalds and Arnour Dan after looking into the music done for Broadchurch, just the kind of music I was searching for for a while. Beautiful, haunting, and relaxing.

3.0 out of 5 stars A departure from 'the norm', but dissapointing in my eyes, 4 Mar 2013
Martin Butcher (Romsey, Hampshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: For Now I am Winter (Audio CD)
This new album, for the first time in Arnald's work, contains vocals. For me, they do nothing to enhance the music he composes, indeed they serve to do the opposite. The vocals seem slightly monotonous and expressionless compared to his previous, non vocal, work. Listening to previous albums by the same composer, I find myself humming along to strings or to a cello/violin line carrying a beautiful or intoxicatingly repetitive tune. This is desperately missing from 'For now I am Winter'. I find myself listening harder and harder to the music but not getting out of it what I did from 'and they have excaped the weight of darkness, or 'living room songs'. For the first time ever I have wondered whether I should skip a track because it simply is not providing me with what I thought it would. The beauty and evocotive music of earlier albums has gone. There is not a track on this album I could identify as touching/connecting with me in a way that I could other albums and tracks (e.g. Ljosio, Lag fyrir Ommu, Bu ert Solin)
This is not to say the album is not listenable to fans of Olafur Arnalds. It contains all the hallmarks of his work, just without the stand out emotive pieces. The vocal tracks remind me of those you can find on the albums of Craig Armstrong with Richter-esque (Max Richter) interludes in Arnald's unique style.
In summary, the album is still clearly contains all the hallmarks of Olafur Arnald's music compostion but, for me, is missing the emotional connection and heartbreaking beauty of other albums. It won't be joining his other work in my most played albums list.

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly beautiful, 7 Jun 2014
carolyn gray (cupar, fife Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: For Now I am Winter (Audio CD)
I cannot praise this highly enough. I love it. Beautiful relaxing music, particularly good for the drive home from work. relaxing but not at all bland. Buy it

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, thoughtful music., 28 Jan 2014
W. Osborne (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: For Now I am Winter (Audio CD)
I love this and play it a lot. I am gradually acquiring all his music which is gentle and lyrical. There is singing on some tracks which suits the style adn ambience of the CD. Would highly recommend this which, if you like Sigur Ros and other Icelandic musicians, your are guaranteed to enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 30 Nov 2013
This review is from: For Now I am Winter (Audio CD)
This is a fantastic peaceful relaxing album, great to listen to in moody weather.
Would definatly recommend it & everybody who has heard it, has bought it .

4.0 out of 5 stars Is that André Villas-Boas on the cover?, 27 Nov 2013
This review is from: For Now I am Winter (Audio CD)
I have bought a lot of Olafur Arnalds music and this is a real good one with some instrumental songs as well as a handful of pieces with nice vocals that fit the music well. Refreshing and a bit different to a lot of the other things I listen to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Atmospheric, relaxing, emotional, and more, 19 Oct 2013
This review is from: For Now I Am Winter [+digital booklet] (MP3 Download)
I consider myself lucky to have stumbled on Olanfur Arnalds, via dint of seeking out the soundtrack to Broadchurch. Transpires he also provided the soundtrack for some timelapse landsacpe movies that I like, and that also benefit enormously from it. Brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful album, 4 April 2013
This review is from: For Now I am Winter (Audio CD)
Simply another outstanding album from olafur. I loved all of his previous offerings but this moves things onto another level with more electronics and vocals. (Arnor Dans (spelling) vocals are stunning).
The album gets better with every listen. An essential purchase.