4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive Speed
Published 7 months ago by Daniel

Published 11 months ago by mountain-goat

3.0 out of 5 stars D-Link DHP-W311AV/B Mini AV 500 Wireless-N HomePlug Starter Kit, 24 Aug 2013
This review is from: D-Link DHP-W311AV/B Mini AV 500 Wireless-N HomePlug Starter Kit (Accessory)
I bought this kit to upgrade from my 200mps D-Link kit as it is now discontinued and additional units are unavailable. I also bought the pass-through (P308AV) unit to solve an additional connectivity problem. It all works and the connectivity problem is solved, however, the wireless unit does not transmit as strong a signal as the 200mps version (it doesn't have any aerials) and although you can see this in the pictures I wrongly, it seems, assumed it would be at least as good without aerials as the 200mps model if not better, but alas not so. I have been in contact with D-Link and they are being helpful but as yet the problem remains. As a result I am buying a small network switch to use the pass-through network cable connection for two devices as one (a Samsung TV) now has insufficient wireless signal from the D-Link to stream video (it only has two bars now whereas before it was three to four). The 200mps model management software allowed settings for wireless mode, channel and channel width to be changed but none of these are changeable with this model. D-Link are looking into it but who knows if they will add the ability to change these setting and then whether being able to change them will solve the problem. In summary I would say that if wireless signal strength is very important to your set up then you may have some connectivity issues with this system if my experience is anything to go by.
Update 9th September 2013 - D-Link now say that changing the settings will not be possible as the unit takes its settings from the router. My router is set to 'auto' for the channel so I tried changing it to a specific channel (10 in this case) and when I looked at the D-Link it was still on channel 1 (its original setting) so I've no idea how this aspect of their system works i.e. how it links with the router and manages channel selection etc. Admittedly I didn't reset the D-Link as that may have allowed it to change but it seems to me that if its 'auto' then it should change without a reset. For me though I have given up and installed a gigabit switch between the pass-through network connection and the TV and Blu-ray player in the bedroom and it now all works a treat.

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive Speed, 16 Dec 2013
I bought this to solve a dead spot issue in a house with the awful Virgin Media (not so) Superhub. It was so easy to setup and all working within about 5 minutes, although I took the extra time to upgrade the firmware. I am really impressed with the throughput from this. I've tested over wireless connection on iPhone, iPad and MacBook and was getting the full 30Mb download speed of the Virgin connection, through powerline and wireless!! Really impressed with this product. The only thing that would have been nice is the ability to manually set the wireless channel so I could run both wireless AP's on the same SSID with non-overlapping channels so the hopping of clients between them is much smoother.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than other power line solutions, can improve your network - but keep things simple, 23 May 2013
Peter A. J. Bennett (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Virgin Media have finally delivered on their speed promises to my area, which makes me extra focussed on trying to get the benefits on the various devices I use around the house during the day, with the obvious implication being that I want to have as fast a wireless network as possible. I have tried several options which claim to be able to connect the internet across two power plugs in your home and none of them has really delivered so I was keen to see if this one would be an improvement.

For the following tests, I used my existing DLink DIR-655 router connected to the Virgin Media cable modem and my Dell Studio 17 laptop with Intel WiFi Link 5100 AGN adapter or the wired LAN port. Connecting the laptop directly to the router (i.e. wired connection all the way) gave a ping time of 12ms, a download speed of 125.92MBps and an upload speed of 11.66MBps as a benchmark (using the external speedtest website). Connecting directly to the DIR-655 wirelessly from my office one floor up and at the front on the house rather than the back typically gives results of 25-30 ping, 20--30 download and 8-10 upload with the signal sometimes dropping entirely by the time you are at the other end of our medium-sized four bedroom house.

Now to see if the D-Link DHP solution can help matters.

This kit includes two components, the first of which is a DHP-W308AV which needs to be plugged into a mains socket (note, not an extension cable) and is connected directly with an ethernet cable to a spare port on the router (the kit does also include two ethernet cables but they are really too short to be of any use at under a metre so you are going to want to invest in better). The second, a DHP-W310AV, is then plugged into a mains socket in a different room and, generally, the two seem to automatically connect and establish a network (if they do not, or if you need to reset it, you can press a button on both within two minutes and they re-establish the connection). At this stage, take a pause before you try to follow through the "first-time configuration" in the short manual which comes with the kit or you will waste a fruitless hour or so trying to get the "hybrid network" to work...I will come back to that later.

I tested the DHP-W310AV in the downstairs dining room, which is next to the sitting room with the router and upstairs in the bedroom which is in the far corner of the house where the original main router wireless signal struggles to reach. Connecting with a cable to the second box gave results of 16ms, 80.23MBps, 11.72MBps in the dining room and 25ms, 60.48MBps, 10.72MBps in the bedroom. This is way better than other solutions of this nature I have tried in our house (which has quite old wiring).

But, the best is yet to come, the DHP-W310AV also acts as a wireless access point. You can log on to this wireless network using the default SSID and then reconfigure its SSID and give it a password. The range of this wireless access point is not great, but if you position it strategically, it can have a profound effect. In the dining room I was seeing a wireless performance of 18ms, 75.08MBps, 11.66MBps and upstairs in the bedroom I could now surf the internet reliably on my laptop with a performance of 24ms,70.15MBps (more than I registered wired, but this is not an exact science), 10.59MBps.

If you have a scenario like mine where you have a dead spot in the house you may find this kit to be a great solution.

A couple of things for you to be aware of (and to save you time I spent trying to fathom them out) :-

1 - the "first time configuration" is a little confusing because when you actually log on to the configuration of the DHP-W311AV it starts asking you if you want to configure a "hybrid network". I believe that what this does is to connect the W310 to the router wirelessly as well as over the power network and that it only works if you have a compatible DLink router. But, it reads as if you are trying to connect just the two units in the kit in this manner. I don't think the W308 has any wireless functionality so I believe that if you only have this kit you should ignore the hybrid network options.

2 - having happily set up my network with this kit (and given the W310 a different SSID to my router) I decided to try adding a second W310 to the system in my study upstairs. This seemed to be a step too far and I ran into all sorts of problems and basically had to reset everything and start again with just the two units in this kit. I guess there are all sorts of reasons why this might be the case but I wanted to share my experiences. In any case, once I was running my main router on channels 13+9 and the W310 had picked channels 1+5 (I have not discovered how to configure a manual choice of channel) there was not really enough "space" on the 2.4GHz band to fit a third access point.

Keeping it simple seemed to be the right choice and I am going to keep running the scenario which just uses this starter kit for a couple of weeks and will update this review with some thoughts on how reliable the system was over time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast and neat powerline network starter kit or extension to an existing powerline network, 13 Jun 2013
The Fat Monk (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My home network is mainly based on TP-Link kit using AV200 powerline kit with a couple of wireless access points either built into the powerline adapters or as separate access points.

I decided to give the D-Link AV500 kit here a go to boost the speed from my media PC to the media renderer (an ASUS O!Play box).

First off things seemed to work well. The D-Link adapters seem to play nice with the TP-Link kit establishing a powerline network connection no problem. I haven't tried 'pairing' the D-Link adapters with the TP-Link adapters for encryption - apparently that can sometimes be an issue when mixing manufacturers, but I have not tried so can't comment.

[UPDATE October 2013: I have now paired these with my TP-Link adapters and everything is working without problems so the powerline encryption seems good to go with other manufacturers' kit]

My first problem was configuring the wireless network on the WiFi enabled adapter. As I'd established a powerline network which included the D-Link adapter I thought I'd be able to connect to the WiFi access point adapter via my existing network - not so. I had to connect to the D-Link's own wireless network and do the config that way. The default details for this network are on a card enclosed in the box so it's no big deal to get connected, but once you browse to the adapter to set up your own WiFi parameters (I use the same SSID and key on every adapter so that roaming around the house and between access points is seamless) the config screen seem to insist on you following a wizard setup which tries to send you down the route of creating a hybrid link to the rest of your network. This hybrid link uses both the powerline and a WiFi connection back to your main hub/broadband router to increase the speed of the connection - this seems a nice idea but is likely overkill in most cases as a 500Mb/s powerline connection should be more than most people need and almost certainly more than your broadband provider will be giving you. Once you get around the wizard set up is pretty much as per any other WiFi access point requiring you to set the SSID, choose WPS or WEP and an access key.

The non-WiFi adapter in this bundle has three LEDs which indicate power, powerline network established and LAN connection. The first is self-explanatory, the second indicates that the adapter has found one or more other adapters to talk to on the main wiring and also indicates signal quality and the third indicates that something is plugged into the RJ45 network port on the bottom of the adapter.

That second LED is a tri-colour affair with red indicating 'good' quality main networking signal, amber indicating 'better' quality and green indicating 'best' quality. I find it a bit disconcerting seeing the LED flash between these three colours regularly as I associate red and amber with faults. That said network speed seems pretty good regardless ofthe colour of this LED - so long as it's lit!

I have tried both adapter in various sockets - always a direct connection, not via any multi-gang adapters - and have found them to be a bit more picky than the TP-Link adapters. Where the TP-Link adapters seem to work in any of my sockets I found the D-Link adapters failed to establish the powerline network connection at all in some sockets - frustratingly one of those being the one where my media PC is hooked up so I'm not actually gaining the network speed increase where I wanted it!

All in all these are good, neat kit. Its a good starter kit at a good price and will probably work to expand an existing powerline network using other brand kit. One star is knocked off only for the slightly frustrating wizard based setup software and the fact that they seem a little picky about the mains socket they are plugged into.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good but not simple to set up, 10 Jun 2013
Mr. Jon Forster "sensor" (London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've used several power line products so know what I am doing with them.

These came with everything in the box - instructions and car 5 cable. Good to see it came with a cable.

So, setting them up. I followed the instructions carefully for each unit. A task that should have been 10-15 minutes took twice as long. I could not connect via the website (url) for several attempts. I re-set it, tried again and finally - doing nothing differently - it connected. I then tried to connect to the second one. It seemed to be unsure what was connecting so I disconnected the first (switched off). Yet again, it took many attempts but finally it worked. I then reconnected the first one and all was working fine. I then placed the wifi in a relatively dead zone for wifi and it was great - just worked.

Overall, once working they work well. They just seem to be cumbersome to set up and I could see many people just giving up.

4.0 out of 5 stars D-link, 17 Jun 2014
Had a lightning strike nearby and a mains surge which fried a previous D-link - this was an easy replacement just plug and play

5.0 out of 5 stars worked as stated out of the box., 17 May 2014
Arrived promptly and was easy to set up and worked immediately giving me excellent wifi signal in area of house where signal was weak.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works fine., 11 April 2014
Instructions could be clearer on adding units to an existing powerline network so that they all use the same security code.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well for me, 20 Jan 2014
As far as my needs are concerned, this product does what it says on the tin: gives me a wifi signal at the far end of the house which is comparable to the signal I get near the BT home hub. Just how good it is in absolute terms, I couldn't say, simply because broadband speeds are appallingly bad in this part of the country, so the unit isn't really being tested.

I have two quibbles only. The cables provided are only 1 metre in length, which meant that I had to do some rearrangement. Also, as seems to be standard practice in the industry, the printed installation instructions are pretty poor, and, in particular, fail to mention the fact that the remote unit has a (small, very inconspicuous) on-off switch. I found, by trial and error, that it works best when switched on ....

(And after some weeks' use, I have slightly more serious quibble) When I use my iPad in the room in which the D-Link device is installed, I find that it tends to revert to the weaker signal from the BT home hub. If I want to reconnect to the stronger D-Link signal, I have to do this using the iPad's settings app. Which is a nuisance. I think (but I'm not sure) that what's happening is that, if it has not used for a certain period of time, the D-Link device goes into a low power, 'sleep' mode from which is has to be awakened. For I find that, if my wife has been using her iPad, when I start using mine, I connect automatically to D-Link. What would cure the problem, I think, is some way of making the iPad connect to D-Link by default, even when it's in low power mode.

If I'm wrong about this, or if I'm right and there's some simple cure, I hope that somebody more knowledgeable than me will post a comment.

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't mean to whine..., 28 Oct 2013
S. Brown (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
...but this item would be great if it weren't for the high-pitched squeal that is emitted from the base plug as soon as you turn it on. While the connection is great, it is unusable due to this noise. My wife noticed it a lot more than I did, which is apparently due to women being able to hear higher frequencies. Unfortunately had to return.