Even though there have been newer versions released since the TZ35, I do feel that given the price, this camera is still great workhorse producing some stunning images. Keep in mind that newer does not necessarily mean better, especially when enhancements made are the inclusion of Wi-Fi, GPS or better frames per second.
Amazon will tell you that there is a newer version of this model (TZ55) when viewing the product page. However unlike the TZ35, the TZ55 does not sport a Leica lens. (A deal breaker for me).
-------------------------------------
Short camera review:

The camera comes bundled with a USB cable, lanyard, a very basic "User Manual", a CD and a DMW-BCG10E battery. Unfortunately no separate charger is included, so unless you have a compatible one, charging is done via the camera itself.

You will need to provide your own SD card. This camera takes SD,SDHC and SDXC cards.

The TZ35 produces well exposed, vibrant and crispy colourful images. It will also do HD video in AVHD and MP4 format. The power optical image stabilisation works a treat in minimizing blur caused by camera shake. The rich featurelist means that you can get very creative. It sports 14 different artistic settings in the "Creative Control" mode. A few of these are HDR, Sepia, B&W, Toy Camera, Miniature Effect, and my favourite.. One Point Colour. This will let you chose a specific colour and the rest will be in B&W. A host of Panorama modes come in quite handy for shooting those sweeping panoramas. Other modes are: Scenery Mode, Program Mode, Custom Mode, Aperture Priority Mode, Shutter Priority Mode, Manual Exposure Mode.

Key Features
○ LEICA DC lens with 20x optical zoom (35mm equivalent: 24-480mm) extendible to 40X
○ 16.1 megapixel High Sensitivity MOS sensor
○ Power OIS (Optical Image Stabiliser)
○ 3.0 inch 460k dot TFT LCD display sporting a light sensor. Very usable in bright light
○ Intelligent Auto mode (Great for novice users: just point and shoot)
○ Full 1080p HD videos in AVCHD or MP4 format
○ ISO 100-3200 (High Sensitivity mode ISO 1600-6400)
○ 3cm minimum focusing distance is good for very crisp, frame filling shots of smaller subjects
○ 5 fps full resolution continuous shooting

The TZ35 merits a well earned 5 star rating. It does what it is supposed to do, and it does it very well!

If you can live without NFC, Wi-Fi and GPS than this camera should be on your shortlist.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 16 March 2014
I absolutely LOVE these Lumix cameras - this is the second one I have owned (had the other one for over 6 years) but have tried a few other people's too. They are small, sturdy and take superb pictures.

I love the fact that they go to 24mm wide angle as I often take photos of landscapes and architecture and often want to get back further than a standard 35mm lens. But with these little beauties and their 20x zooms they also go in tight when taking pics from afar (I take a few snaps of garden birds - particularly as we have had gold finches feeding in the garden). The Leica lens is a big hit as you'd expect from them - with really crisp pictures every time.

The picture quality in daylight is so good that I rarely take my Digital SLR out with me these days - as these little cameras are just so much more portable. Also I took it along to a Stranglers concert a few night's ago and thought I would try out the video setting and the footage is absolutely marvellous for a camera this size.

There are so many settings - including my faves of panoramic, soft focus, sepia which save you from doing special effects with software outside the camera. The programmable/automatic/manual settings also are extremely numerous.

Can I fault it at all? Erm... I honestly can't think of anything at the moment. Perhaps it uses more plastic and less metal than my old TZ6 - but that just makes it lighter and I haven't felt that it was any less of a camera because of it. Oh yes - a couple of the buttons on the top plate are a little small - the video start/stop and the main on/off button.
on 3 July 2013
This is a brilliant camera - excellent image quality, handles beautifully, enough features and options to satisfy just about anyone.

I love photography and my 'real' camera is a Canon EOS with 'L' series lenses. However, for walking/backpacking I need a small "point and shoot" which fits easily into a pocket and doesn't weigh much. A year ago I bought a Panasonic Lumix TZ25 which was an excellent bit of kit, until the focussing motors failed after 7 months. Amazon were brilliant and replaced it.

Three months later the replacement TZ25 developed the same fault.

I've been taking pictures for over 40 years and have ~never~ broken or damaged a camera. Both TZ25's lived in a hard case when not in use. They were not subjected to extremes of heat or cold. They did not got wet. They have not been dropped.

Amazon continued to be brilliant. They could not replace the second TZ25 with the same model because it wasn't available. They did, however, allow me to trade up to a later model, the TZ35. That was on 16th April. Today the TZ35 started to develop the same fault - the lens cover no longer closes properly and experience sadly tells me that this is the start of the motors failing and it won't be long before I can't take any pictures with it.

I'll reiterate what I said at the start, this is a fabulous little camera - great pictures, handles beautifully, but the build quality is unacceptable.

Thankfully Amazon have second to none customer service and have authorised a refund. Google searches lead me to believe that this is not an isolated incident and that Panasonic have a quality control problem which they are not fixing. I was paranoid with the TZ35 - it didn't spend a second out of the hard case when not in use; I know I have not damaged it.

I'll now be spending far more time that I want researching a non-Panasonic alternative :{
1515 comments|235 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 February 2015
After using an Olympus FE-230 for the last eight years, and more recently admiring the superior quality images of my mother-in-law's Lumix, I finally took the plunge and bought one. So far, so good. Hopefully, it will prove to be as rugged as the Olympus - I'm an ecologist and spend a lot of time out in the field, so a camera can get a fair amount of abuse and in all weathers! I need something that takes good, publication quality images, is relatively easy to operate one-handed, with intuitive controls, doesn't cost the earth (as I might just dunk it in a river) and, as I use a hand-held GPS for recording things of interest, I have no need of the GPS facility of the more expensive models (which can't match the accuracy of a dedicated GPS, anyway).

The picture quality is excellent, with the camera coping with bright, clear, snowy days (i.e. high light intensity with surface reflection) and more normal over-cast light conditions; there are no flaws in the image at extreme close up or when taking pictures with a uniformly coloured component (e.g. including over-cast cloudscapes/clear blue skies) - a problem experienced with my last camera. Indoor image quality is also good, with the flash proving more than adequate to give a pleasing result. Battery life appears good, but I've yet to learn exactly how long it will last over an intensive day's survey (I can take several hundred images a day). While not as small as the FE-230, the TZ35 is still small enough to comfortably fit in a pocket and light enough to carry in a belt pouch without any hassle.

I've yet to give the TZ35 a full work-out (red squirrel drey survey close-ups, plant/insect macro-zoom shots, etc.), but from the results so far, I'm not expecting any performance issues and I can quite happily recommend this camera for both fieldwork and leisure.
on 28 January 2015
I purchased this same camera eg DMC-TZ35 from Argos a few weeks ago, eg for only £99.99 , so cheaper than Amazon. Also got a 2 year guarantee via Panasonic promotion. There is a big problem with these Panasonic cameras though, I just got my DMC-TZ30 back today from repair, only just over a year old when the lens got jammed and it came up with the message on the viewing screen ''''System error ( zoom )'' I got it repaired for a reasonable amount of £38.70 from Clearer images, to be found online. This camera is a bargain but be aware that it may conk out after about one year with the same lens problem as these cameras have form for it !!
on 16 August 2013
Although this is quite an expensive Camera (for a Compact) in my opinion, the zoom is very good and gives pretty good images. I particularly like the 'movie Mode' as it saves carrying a more bulky Video Camera and the quality is good. I also like the Panorama mode as although it does tend to bend the subject your taking, it enables you with a landscape shot to get much more in.
I don't particularly like the charging on this model, rather than taking the Battery out and putting it into a supplied charger (as on our previous Panasonic, you attach the Camera to a supplied lead and plug that into the Mains Socket. this means you have to keep an extra watchful eye on the Battery state as you cannot carry a spare Battery with you unless you use the Camera as a Battery Charger. This is why I've given it 4 out of 5 Stars.
11 comment|56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 May 2015
Although I enjoy the Panasonic TZ35's iA mode for quick and easy picture taking, I am often disappointed with the lack of real sharpness of many of the photos that I have taken in this mode. They are not as sharp as I know a Leica zoom lens can be, and I consider this to be because of the way the camera achieves focus in iA. It appears to "average" the focus point and this is just not good enough, because absolute focussing precision is required for true sharpness.
So I decided to try using the P mode with its Spot Focussing function. My pictures suddenly became as sharp as I knew they could be.
After some experimentation, I found that the best setting for me in P mode turned out to be Spot Focussing with Multi-Metering. I am now getting razor sharp pictures which are usually correctly exposed, and it is almost as simple to use as full iA.
To use this set-up, I firstly compose my picture on the screen, I then aim the Spot Focus icon on the part of the scene that I want to be critically sharp, half press the shutter button to lock-on the focus, then re-compose the image on the screen and fully depress the button to take my picture.
This method works really well for me throughout the TZ35's zoom lens range, and with a wide variety of subjects. I have even been surprised with the amount of bokeh around my in-focus subject in certain circumstances.
I now think that the TZ35 is a great little camera.
on 17 October 2014
This camera is easy to use as long as you are not new to digital cameras. (The instruction booklet and the disc I found to be useless). I was a bit disappointed with the quality and colour of the photos and found it was much too easy to press a button that you did not mean to. I bought this to take on holiday for a week in the Cotswolds. The battery just managed to last a day taking about 100 photos and that was without using any video. Would have preferred one that used AA batteries so that I could have changed them. This camera has to be charged via the mains. It is a useful camera to carry around as it is small and light but not as good as I expected. Will be looking for something better for my next holiday.
on 28 April 2015
Bought this camera a year ago and just loved it. I have had 3 previous Lumix cameras and each of them developed the same fault within 6-9 months of getting them - the zoom motor failed and the lens shutter stopped shutting. The TZ35 was fantastic when I got it - I use it for videoing horses - the picture quality was fantastic, the zoom was great, you could video 1/2 a mile away quite effectively - you could get some great stills from the videos even. The automatic focus was just great - I could zoom in and out and it would stay in sharp focus.

Sadly, after 9 months, I started to have some difficulty with the camera not starting to video when I pressed the video button. This has got worse and worse. The next thing to fail has been the auto focus. I am videoing and it will suddenly come out of focus, or I have zoomed in or out and it won't focus.

It's a shame. Panasonic have got to get their build better so that their cameras last. They have all been fantastic when I have first got them, which is why I have continued to buy them, but are just not up to regular use. I'll be buying something else this time.
on 27 January 2014
I am very happy that I bought this camera, got everything what I need. Pictures clear and sharp, Strongly recommend.