on 14 March 2014
I have a seriously expensive DSLR camera, which is beautiful, but big. And expensive. I cycle a lot and go out bashing around woods with my dogs and, since I live in Wales, I'm often getting wet. This camera feels chunky and it feels strong, but it also takes gorgeous, large, high quality images. It's also great for candid street photography. I bought it as a back up, but these days I use it more as my main camera.
on 13 June 2013
I purchased the camera from to complement my SLR for photos in the mountains, under water etc. I was a little apprehensive after reading earlier reviews on FT3/FT4 and the significant number of failures when used in salt water, but the optical quality attracted me. I also thought that Panasonic would certainly have corrected the sealing faults from previous versions. Also I am always very careful with my equipment, following all instructions from the manual (no more than 60 minutes under water, no immersion in depth > 13m, rinse after use in sea water, etc..), thus I thought I'd be safe.

Unfortunately, after the fourth day of underwater usage while snorkelling in Sardinia (never more than 3m deep, and never more than 30 minutes ...), it will not turn on anymore. The only good news is that the memory card is intact and I was able to download the pictures taken before the sudden death of the camera.

Moreover given the previous comments on limited concern from Panasonic to repair this type of failure for units still under warranty, I hesitate to send it to the service centre at my expense. I'm also curious to read comments from other buyers, especially after using it in sea for a few days.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 September 2014
AMAZING camera!!!! I am just delighted with this purchase, it delivers on every aspect! Do read through the manual before first use, especially for underwater use as there are specific instructions! Underwater pictures beautiful and clear, great colours! Outstanding compact camera with NFC and WiFi! Highly recommended :)
on 3 November 2015
We bought this camera just over a year ago and used it a bit in swimming pools to see how it coped, it worked well and the photo's were very good quality. We use it for the first time in sea water last month and it died. We had only being used snorkelling a few feet under the surface.
I think it's more likely it was full of condonsation that actually leaked, no matter the designers should have take condonsation into account.
As it was out of warranty I took the camera appart and found there was no protection on the PCBs inside from moisture, the PCBs should have been coated in conformal coating.
Most of the brackets had started to rust, some of the screws were so badly rusted that I couldn't even undo them! It looked like they had been rusting for a while so I expect they got moisture in the first time we used it.
Really the internals of the camera should be completely sealed from the environment with only the battery and SD card exposed when the door is open to prevent any moisture getting inside. Better still would be to have the camera completely sealed with non removable battery and a decent sized memory so it never has to be opened.
on 20 April 2013
Just bought this camera yesterday from the Panasonic store,
The staff are always friendly and approachable so I'd Highly recommend purchasing from there,
I managed to haggle my way from £305 down to £265 including a free battery, (remember, nothing has a fixed price...ever!)

I decided to buy this camera as a handy camera to go alongside my DSLR as I'm a professional photographer,
the usability of this camera is great, very easy to use once you've spent an hour or so familiarizing yourself with it all!
There is underwater functionality which I haven't had the privilege to use yet,(A function the camera is insistent on telling you every time you turn it on)

Panoramic shots are great with this camera, and it is very good in all types of lighting, the flash gives a cool blue lighting to the images creating a real
sharp look, you can also bracket shots in this camera which is a great function under manual, a function every camera should really have (taking photos in multiple exposures really quickly)

all in all so far its a 8/10 the only dissapointing feature is the fact there isn't a viewfinder, but to be honest, most compacts these days don't have them, and being savvy with cameras its
probably a function only I'd want!

a great 2nd camera, or a camera to give kids!
a quick round up of the camera in a few lines is:

Great functionality, Robust, Perfect for outdoors types or those who want a 2nd camera. Long lasting battery, tons of fun
(Great Value for money if you can get it for around £265 and under - 20/04/2013. expect a drop in July to around £220)
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 October 2015
Used it on a recent trek across Corsica. Nice photos. You I don't have to be too careful with rain and bumps. I had no problems and the camera got a rough ride on my rucksak belt. The wifi works but I could ONLY get it to transmit photo slideshows to a smart telly. I could not find any SIMPLE and direct FTP facilities for transferring files to the PC. You are forced to use some weird cloud facility which is so complex and slow as to be effectively useless. Hence 4 instead of 5 stars. Battery life is good but it is useful to have a spare battery with you.
on 25 June 2015
Did a lot of research before buying this camera. One of my main uses was as a tough pocket sized video camera which was waterproof.. And while it is waterproof, shockproof and dust proof it is not sound proof. The autofocus produces an annoying background noise while videoing and can clearly be heard when playing back. See (listen) here Can't be heard if there is a lot of noise about but if filming in a relatively quiet environment inside or out it can clearly be heard. Big disappointment for me, thought at first it was a manufacturing fault but Panasonic have confirmed it is not and wrote to say this is normal. and is neither a design or manufacturing flaw and that you should expect this level of noise in their cameras like this one!!!! Apart from that it performs well and takes good pics and video but so does my sony z2 phone and it is waterproof to 1m and makes no noise. So I'll be using my phone most of the time.
on 14 June 2014
Yes, they go underwater and sometimes they leak. Frankly, the seals are not very obvious and there is no way of silicon greasing them like on a proper waterproof enclosure. It is not surprising that some people have had problems. It seems a bit of a lottery to me whether it leaks or not.

Above the surface it is takes reasonable pictures if you use the whole frame. They are not really sharp enough to do selective enlargements unless you can force/trick it into using f8 or thereabouts - fortunately there is a good solid tripod mount. For viewing on a tablet, phone or for a small print, the picture are fine but on a fairly large HD monitor or HDTV you can see the limitations. At 16MP they really should be far better than any HDTV will reveal.

Video is not quite up to GoPro standards but is clearly HD and is certainly acceptable.

Worst points: 1. The front finger grip is far too small. The camera is quite heavy and it can't be held securely with such a small grip. 2. I must mention those seals again. They should be obvious and grease-able.

Best points: 1. Exposure is good under most circumstances (so far). In iA mode it will recognise a backlit subject and automatically take a series of pictures to create a well exposed (HDR) image. It doesn't say that it is HDR but it is following the same process. 2. Sound on video is surprisingly good but it will of course pick up wind noise. 3. Time lapse is very welcome - but more choice of interval would be better. 4. Remote control and viewing from your phone (just like a GoPro) gives endless possibilities, not least spying from the next room ;)
on 16 August 2015
Good camera with lots of additional features - only gripe was that the battery seemed to run down quickly and you get an annoying message about using the camera underwater every time you turn it on - I didn't seem to be able to get rid of the message in settings as it suggested
on 27 July 2015
I have seen my wife struggle with her compact camera, so small and compact that her fingers (delicate as they are) keep touching the 'Record' button instead of the picture button. There are occasions when she can't use it due to rain etc. I had the FT3 version of this camera and decided to buy the FT5 - it is rugged and the buttons are well spaced. When the camera arrived, i set it up and decided to look at the WiFi feature - WOW, the pictures just appear on my wife's IPAD - so much easier to download, no more cables, no more taking the SD card out. Very impressed. Now I am tempted to upgrade my FT3. If the FT5 performs as good as my FT3 - all indications are it will do, I will have bought her a fantastic versatile camera.