5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you for this gem
I'm writing from Australia and the last episode just screened last Thursday.
Published 11 months ago by M. M. Jedlicka

3.0 out of 5 stars If you're wary, give it a shot anyway
This is an enjoyable show. It's pretty schmaltzy, and I've had only a few hours' experience in care homes - so idk how accurate or respectful it is. I watched on the strength of previous Ricky Gervais projects, as the Channel 4 advertising didn't do the show any favours. I think it could do without the drunken lech guy -- who, if you need a similar character, should at...
Published 14 months ago by sharaboots

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you for this gem, 28 Sep 2013
This review is from: Derek - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I'm writing from Australia and the last episode just screened last Thursday.
Derek is brilliant. Each episode is a statement on the value of life, respect for people, and the potential for kindness. You see annoyance between characters, but also the deeper commitment of acceptance. I have read the negative reviews-and I suppose this review is a response and I have to disagree. In my mind, the show isn't about all Derek and whatever his disability might be. To take issue with his representation misses the point. He's neutral foil for everybody else, without vices, vulnerable and he reflects everybody else's foibles. Frankly, you have to focus on the show as a piece, not TV entertainment. Ricky Gervais has used the medium as a venue for his feelings, especially about the elderly and those who can't speak for themselves. It's not the Office and it's not Extras and certainly not a feature film. More than one episode-especially that last one, has lurched at my insides and I'm crying. Talking about hard human issues without apology, Gervais has outdone himself. Thanks Ricky.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best TV I've seen in long, long time!, 14 May 2014
Lisa Pavelka (Las Vegas, NV United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Derek - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
In a television wasteland filled with mindless tripe based around the inane, violence, contrived "reality" scenarios, and shock value; Derek floored me with it's depth and humanity. Ricky Gervais tackles a subject that most people would dismiss as to benign to be interesting. He has managed to craft a tangible story line that allows the main characters to develop quickly, all without the show taking itself too seriously, making the heavier scenes that much more believable. This show grabbed me from the pilot episode with it's touching, heart-felt moments, and humor. Gervais is a genius. It's too bad there are only five stars allowed to rate this show. I highly recommend it to anyone with a brain and a heart and hope it continues to run for many seasons!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 10 Mar 2013
This review is from: Derek - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Im not a huge fan of Ricky Gervais but watched the pilot for this last year when my dad was in pallative care in local care home just to see what it was like and I quite enjoyed it. So I waited eagerly to see what the series was going to be like - probably not as good. How wrong I was. This is an absolutely brilliant piece of work. Every episode I laughed out loud and sobbed whilst I was laughing too. The observations of what its like to see elderly residents in a care home were spot on - and the final episode was the most emotional Ive been since dad died, it bought it all home. I cant wait for series 2 - and the dvd is a must !!!!! I wish every care home had a Derek x

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Watch, 9 Jun 2013
This review is from: Derek - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Brilliantly acted and scripted from start to finish, I'm only disappointed there weren't more episodes. One of the best things I've seen on tv in a really long time. Loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the greatest shows ever made!, 7 Mar 2013
D. A. Rees (Christchurch, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Derek - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
This is quite simply magnificent. I won't go into detail about the situation involved as other reviews have dealt with this admirably. I will concentrate on the fact that this is brilliant writing and beautiful acting at it's best. In each episode there are moments of humour, often laugh out loud but also genuine moments of sensitivity and empathy. I have often found my self laughing and crying within seconds of each other. For a programme to be funny, respectful, sensitive, thought provoking, challenging and emotive as this is rare. The characters are great and the acting sublime. The care home leader Hannah is magnificent and Ricky Gervais is wonderful in the title role.
You are left with the message that kindness is the greatest human trait, the greatest gift and the greatest thing we can do. To show kindness to others will improve so many lives, we need to do it.
I cannot understand anyone not liking this, I know people are entitled to disagree but to not like this probably means that you are not comfortable in your own skin. Try some kindness, it will undoubtedly help.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 8 Dec 2013
Andrew Chambers (Indianapolis, IN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Derek - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
This is an amazing show. It pulled on so many emotional strings some of which I rarely feel. It is far and away the most original television I have ever watched. You will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC, 8 Dec 2013
This review is from: Derek - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
It will make you laugh, it will make you cry, it will make your day. Buy it. You won't regret it for a minute.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it from beginning to end, 8 Dec 2013
This review is from: Derek - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Sometimes I laughed...sometimes I cried. Every episode had a message, sometimes you love it, sometimes you don't. Can't wait for season 2.

5.0 out of 5 stars Caught me off guard, 7 Dec 2013
This review is from: Derek - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Derek is a pitch perfect mix of clever humor, touching moments and silliness.
I was completely wrapped up (and surprised) with the characters, story lines and profound questions raised.
Different, well acted, moving, heart-breaking and hilarious! Derek is a big winner!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprise!, 7 Dec 2013
This review is from: Derek - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I never watch things in which actors portray people with developmental disabilities etc. But this was a fantastic exception to the rule that it just never seems real. Wonderful humor and heart.

Derek - Series 1 [DVD]
Derek - Series 1 [DVD] by Ricky Gervais (DVD - 2013)