5.0 out of 5 stars Unforgettable read!
This is an amazing book. Even if your not a fan of World Of Warcraft or even if you've never even heard of it, i think you will love this book. It is extremely well written, You almost feel sorry for Arthas as he descends into madness and evil. The love story between him and Jaina is very memorable indeed.

All in all a truely fantastic book. I very strongly...
Published on 29 Jun 2011 by FoxwellD

3.0 out of 5 stars A tad shallow, lacks detail
Overall I enjoyed the Arthas-Rise of the Lich king. My criticism of the book is slight but pertinent.
Published on 12 Sep 2010 by Mr. G. P. Schofield

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars A tad shallow, lacks detail, 12 Sep 2010
Mr. G. P. Schofield "fortysixter" (UK, South London) - See all my reviews
I found the story lacked depth in charcaterisation ( I assume they leave WOW the game to do this for you), but already being very aware of the lore behind WOW, I was expecting this book to back it up a little more than it did. The story tended to jump large periods of time, and not clearly explain Arthas's motivation, nor indeed explain particularly well the obsession that the man became subject to.

This obsession drove him on to carry out increasingly terrible acts, and the reader is left to just accept the fact, and not have it explained that there was a voice in this mans head willing him on . From the point that Arthas laid hands on Frostmourne, the Lich King had control of Arthas, even though he did not initially realise it.

A few examples of how the story "leapt" without explaining itself.

:-Arthas hiring the mercs in Northrend, then blaming them for the wrecking of his fleet to his own men. Little reason for this is given . ( I know the reason, as it is played out in WC3, but someone new to the story may not see it )

:- Arthas returning home and killing his father. Almost no reason or justification given.

Anyway, the book now sits, having been read once ( it likely won't get read again) on my bookshelf. It's probably a better book that I could write, but contains nowhere near the detail and depth I would like to see given to my favourite MMO. Simply an "OK " read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unforgettable read!, 29 Jun 2011

All in all a truely fantastic book. I very strongly recommend this to anyone. Gamer or not!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Story but Poorly Wrote, 16 July 2014
This review is from: World of Warcraft: Arthas: Rise of the Lich King (Kindle Edition)
I had desired this novel for some time now, since the days of Wrath of the Lich King. The Hamlet-like story of the Lich King is a rather dramatic tale set by Blizzard and the author Christie Golden does not disappoint in filling in some of the blanks on how and why Arthas became the Lich King.

However, even with the gaps being filled, I have to question the style in which the novel was written. As a writer of fiction I am aware of the concept "show, don't tell", which denotes the writer should show action being taken place instead of telling the reader. Unfortunately, this book has a lot of tell and it outweighs showing.

Apart from this though the book is great.

2.0 out of 5 stars A great story, poorly written, 6 Sep 2010
As a newcomer to WoW I found myself enthralled by the tale of Arthas, the young paladin turned Lich King.
The story told in this novel was brilliant from start to finish, tales of love, betrayal, tragedy and loss. Kingdoms brought to their knees by the ruthless Lich King and his scourge.

However, the novel and the quality of the writing is quite poor. I would've preferred the story to be told far more slowly and with more insight into what the characters were thinking. If I'm honest I wanted a book about twice the length - just to flesh it out with quality and depth which this lacks throughout.

I think the developers at Blizzard did fantastic work when conceiving the Lich King storyline - unfortunately Christie Golden doesn't do it much justice in this novel.

I would recommend this book to someone who wants to know what has happened before WoW begins - and has nothing else to read at the moment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rise of lich king, 21 Jun 2014
Great book loved the story line.
He done as we know from the warcraft iii games and from world of warcraft

5.0 out of 5 stars The Liche Kings Story, 29 May 2014
I have always loved the story of the Liche king and wondered what his life was like before his tragic fall. Christie Golden has captured one of my childhood favourite villains and given him so much depth. I have loved re-reading this book so much and highly recommend it to anyone who enjoyed the warcraft games.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 11 May 2014
My expectations to this book were quite high - and Christie Golden fulfills them gracefully. It was one of those books I opened and only reluctantly closed when every page was turned. Truly a shattering read, such as the story often is with Arthas. Golden lets you fall so deeply in love with Arthas' charm and good heart that even after all the evil he has done as the Lich King, killing him is heart breaking. Also, worth adding is that the recognisable conversations from the Warcraft III champaign made my heart swell with warm nostalgia.
A wonderfully frustrating book that I'll recommend to anyone, and of course especially those interested in Warcraft lore.

5.0 out of 5 stars my favourite book so far, 1 May 2014
I always loved the character, even though I knew exactly what happens as I've played both W3 and WOW, this book is still interesting to read as it gives the story so much depth... would recommend to any adventure genre fan

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece, 7 Jan 2014
If you are a fan of the warcraft lore then this book is for you. It had me griped in anticipation for Arthas to become, The Lich King

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 5 Jan 2014
awesome story telling just like the game it became love the entire world and all its tales. definitely recommend to read.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›