5.0 out of 5 stars Tarantino at his absolute best
This film will make you smile, laugh, feel nauseated and think on about the horror of the times it's set in. Its a classic. Christopher Waltz stole the the show for me. His witty and clever comments and acting had perfect timing. Not to mention his facial expressions.
Jamie Foxx was great as the lead character but I enjoyed Waltz much more. It's fast and furious...
Published 9 months ago by Annie fitzy

3.0 out of 5 stars DON'T BUY THE BLU-RAY!
Tarantino fans will undoubtedly love this movie, however my personal opinion is that perhaps he should concentrate his obvious talents on movies with a more contemporary setting rather than attempting to span the time zones of history. If I watch a WW2 or a Western movie, I want to be swept away in the reality of the time captured on screen, unfortunately with this movie,...
Published 2 months ago by Freddie Del Fuego

‹ Previous | 1 2 350 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 13 Mar 2014
The first film that I've seen that I've switched off just prior to the finish.It became so so ridiculous I just couldn't take anymore.There wasn't a single character I cared about. Truly awful. Don't waste your money and more importantly,don't waste your time.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a GREAT MOVIE!!!, 7 July 2013
I refused to see this movie in the theatres because of the controversy about the Django Unchained slave Barbie dolls and action figures (I'm being serious, Google it if you haven't heard about the controversy). So I only just watched this movie last night and was SHOCKED at how excellent it was. Heartfelt, engaging, interesting, action packed with that signature touch of Quentin Tarintio gore - it was just a great movie!

5.0 out of 5 stars Super bloodthirsty - but excellent all the same, 17 May 2013
David H J Ashdown (Wales) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
A western with a difference , the blood and gore is in a way so extreme that it is funny. It's the first time I've watched a long (2hours 45 minutes) western and thoroughly enjoyed every minute, it's different enough to make it appeal to non-western lovers as well, the acting is excellent and the message well delivered. Don't be put off by reports of gratuitous violence, what there is is deserved and the eventual bloodbath is a bit like in "Kill Bill" i.e. so much as to be comical.

5.0 out of 5 stars Typical Tarantino!, 29 Oct 2013
Frank "Photofox" (Cheshire, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I ordered this before reading the negative reviews and became disappointed, feeling it would be a let down. However, I really enjoyed it. Plenty of blood and gore, as you'd expect; some really funny moments and touching ones. Excellent acting from Waltz, Foxx and De Caprio.. OK, it did get a little "comic book" towards the end but I could live with that.
The most disturbing thing was how the black slaves were treated, which I guess is mainly accurate. Some scenes where the plantation owners ill treated their slaves were truly pitiful.
To sum up, I'd say it was a cross between Pulp Fiction and The Good the Bad and the Ugly, if you can imagine that!

5.0 out of 5 stars So funny, 25 July 2013
Mrs. E. C. Georgiou "movie lover" (North Lincs UK) - See all my reviews
This is not what I expected, I am oh so glad I watched it, a laugh a minute, just what the doctor ordered

5.0 out of 5 stars Really entertaining from start to finish, 2 April 2013
There's an extreme amount of assumptious expectation and denigration coming from all sides regarding this film, but I simply cannot understand why myself.

Suddenly this poor guy Quentin has the world on his shoulders but he's never promised to deliver anything to anyone! It's neither billed as a true story nor professes to be based on fact. He doesn't owe anyone anything. The guy just felt like making a fun, interesting and really entertaining movie.

Tarantino is right back on top form here again with his wild imagination, unique story-telling and distinctive visual style. All performances are top rate, the setting is fresh and the casting is just right (which wouldn't have been the case if Will Smith accepted the role of Django, imo).

It's an instant classic that I will certainly watch again.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mostly Enjoyable, 27 May 2013
This is quite a hard one to call. Although it's a good film, it's neither the work of genius some of the five star reviews would have you believe, nor is it the complete rubbish as described in some of the one star opinions. So I go with three stars.

Essentially it's a combination of spaghetti western, Blaxploitation film and buddy/road movie set against the background of pre Civil War southern USA and slavery. The two leads try hard, but Jamie Fox is no Clint Eastwood and, while Chris Waltz steals the show as the slave-trade hating bounty killer with a heart, he's no Lee Van Cleef either. So we are left with a story which is at its best during the first hour or so, when the two protagonists team up and scour the lower mid-west for bad guys. Some of the violence is a bit OTT - heads and abdomens exploding from small arms fire - but then this is Tarantino.

It's during the middle section things start to drag, when we are first introduced to Leo de Caprio's plantation owner/slave trader. Sorry but he just didn't convince me, came across like Tom Hank's performance in the Ladykillers re-make. Samuel L Jackson was almost unrecognisable at first as the Houseman/butler but for all the world as he played the character I just couldn't stop thinking he was doing a direct parody of Old Biff from Back to the Future 2, even down to the cane!

The pace also slackens during this segment, must have been half an hour of yak yak around the dinner table before the action and main denouement got going. However even after this resolved there were still twenty five minutes or so remaining when the plot went off on what is best described as an extended epilogue. This whole bit could (and should) have been condensed down which would also have helped bring the movie in to a much more bum friendly 2 hour or just over running time. By that stage I think we had all got Quentin's message that black slave = good guy, wicked white guy = baddie.

Worth watching once but I doubt I could sit through it again, at least not without judicious use of the fast forward button.

5.0 out of 5 stars controversial, visceral, what did you expect?, 22 Aug 2013
M. O. HAYNES "couch magpie" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Django Unchained is the story of a slave (Jamie Foxx) rescued by a German bounty hunter called Dr. Schultz (played brilliantly by Cristoph Waltz) to help identify three money earning targets. Django becomes the bounty hunter’s partner and fulfils his search for his long-lost wife. They find her working in the house at a plantation run by Calvin Candie (Leonardo DiCaprio) where Samuel Jackson hams it up as an old butler character. Chaos ensues – you would be disappointed if it didn’t. It is almost as if by the end of the film Tarantino can’t hold himself back any longer and shouts for bloody mayhem.

The tricky subject matter and the proliferation of the dreaded ‘N’ word go some way in explaining the controversy surrounding the film. However I would suggest that most of the controversy was probably drummed up by the studio to get bums on seats. Only the most backward of white Americans would see anything to complain about in this film. For me it seemed less violent than Kill Bill or Inglorious Basterds and the only thing that perhaps would unnerve a few racist rednecks was the fact that it was a black man killing white folk (and getting paid for it).

Django is a natural quick draw and sharp-shooter and uses his new-found skills to great effect during the story. As a Western this is part of the cannon and not to be questioned. Equally it is a given that Django can not only ride a horse but do so very well. What sets the film apart from most Westerns is the brilliant dialogue and the humour. Dr Schultz in particular gets some great lines and slowly reveals himself of somewhat of a humanist despite his killing ways. He is the light to Calvin Candie’s dark racism and the final scenes between the two are some of the best Tarantino has filmed. There is a similar thread to the anti-Nazi history rewrite finale of Basterds, but in this case the outcome is loaded with more tension and heart.

Foxx’s character very quickly becomes the strutting black hero that we would expect from Django if we reference back to the glut of similarly titled films in the 60’s. In some ways his character is less three-dimensional than Dr Schultz and indeed Candie, and this is perhaps a drawback of Tarantino ‘reloading’ an old film concept in much the same way as he did with Basterds. I love Westerns and I love Tarantino and so for me it is a brilliant combination, but I would like him to try something wholly from his own imagination next time around.

3 additional factoids I gleaned after my second viewing -
I was curious over the man at the bar just after we see the bloody mandingo fight and are introduced to Candie. The mysterious man has just seen his fighter bested and killed with a hammer, but still has the time for a a tequiela at the bar and a quick word with Django posing as a black slaver / mandingo expert. The man says he knows that Django is spelt with a ‘D’. It is a bit of an incongruous comment and made me wonder ‘who was that guy?’ Well, that guy was a cameo by the original actor in the 1966 version of Django - so of course he would know how it was spelt. It was another nod to the previous ‘Westerns’ gone before by Tarantino; just not as subtle as the pulllling-the-man-and-horse-down scene or even subtler other references.

Secondly was the female tracker. We see her briefly in two scenes. One where she is holding a hatchet and her face is mostly covered by a bandana just before D’Artagnian is ripped apart by dogs, and one where she is looking at a 3D photo in the trackers lodge just before she is gunned down in revenge for D’Artagnian’s death. ‘Who’s that girl?’ I thought twice over. The subject of a deleted scene mayhaps? Well, as there were no deleted scenes on my Blu-ray I don’t know, but I was watching the credits and saw the name Zoe Bell. Which rang a bell (scuse pun). IMDB to the rescue! She was Uma Thurman’s stunt double in Kill Bill and she has worked on an amazing number of films (including Deathproof). Tarantino slipped her in as a favour it would seem and there is rumour that she failed the audition for Candie’s sister, so he probably felt obliged to include her somewhere in the film.

Third. The blood on Candie’s hand. I thought it was a brilliant piece of writing and helped emphasize the darkness of the character when he smears it over Broomhilda’s face. I also liked the way the blood develops naturally, it is not overtly referenced by the camera and Candie continues his tirade without seeing to the cut. It turns out that this was real blood and a real cut and DiCaprio (true artiste that he is) carried on going even though he had genuinely accidentally cut himself. Bravo.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tarantino Brilliance, 23 July 2013
Ryan "R.McC" (Northern Ireland, UK) - See all my reviews
This film has to be Quentin Tarantinos best film yet. It's based around a slave called Django and the storyline is brilliant. I wasn't sure of this when i saw it was a western but for the time I was sitting watching this film my eyes were glued to the screen. Tarantino never fails to make everything interesting, even the dialogue when nothing is happening. This film is one of THE BEST films i have seen yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Django, 23 April 2014
Was a bit sceptical about buying this movie. Saw the original ages ago and wondered if this was going to be another re-hash of an old movie but it wasn't, well done.

‹ Previous | 1 2 350 | Next ›