4.0 out of 5 stars the Boy on the Beach
Published 11 months ago by tallpete33

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit long and drawn out, plot-wise.
It was fairly good entertainment but I thought it could have been covered in fewer episodes. I had read good things about it and perhaps my expectations were a bit high.
Published 7 months ago by Stephen Imbert

4.0 out of 5 stars the Boy on the Beach, 24 April 2013
tallpete33 (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Broadchurch [DVD] (DVD)
This one caught the imagination with me and a lot of people I know and it was refreshing to hear people discussing a British drama series rather than the latest American boxset. Dorset's Jurassic coast provided the stunning backdrop for a classic whodunnit that kept you guessing almost to the end. David Tennant and Colman are superb and versatile actors who teamed up perfectly as the two detectives on the hunt for the murderer of a local boy Danny Latimer whose body was found mysteriously placed on the beach one morning.

For Ellie Miller (Colman) things are made more difficult as she knows the Latimer family well and her son was Danny's best friend whilst the taciturn Alec Hardy (Tennant) new in town has to face his own demons having been accused of botching a similar case elsewhere, a fact that is known by a dogged national journalist. His transfer to Broadchurch is meant to be a respite for him as he also faces health problems but his timing could not have been worse with the town in turmoil.

This is a very watchable series set in the town where the sun never seems to stop shining but is shaken to the core as secrets about its tight knit community are slowly revealed. Lies are told and accusations made at anyone and everyone from the local vicar to the sea cadet master and the reclusive lady (Pauline Quirke) and her dog living in a caravan by the sea. If I had one criticism it would be its pace with seemingly little happening in the early episodes but it's a slow burner that reaps rewards as tall tales are unravelled and the killer finally flushed out (it wasn't Vince the dog). It's not heavy on action, just people and nobody does sad like Colman or grumpy like Tennant in this classy coastal mystery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, 7 Dec 2013
This review is from: Broadchurch [DVD] (DVD)
Could not stop watching until all episodes were finished.Every person could be under suspicion and had to wait until
The end to discover the guilty person

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding drama - unmissable, 15 April 2013
E.Meredith - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Broadchurch [DVD] (DVD)
ITV drama is truly excelling itself with this production. Firstly, the cast is top class, with superlative acting. Notably, Jodie Whittaker as the bereaved mother Beth is completely believable and gives a haunting performance of what it is like to be told your son has been found dead. During the first episode, I had had tears streaming down my face throughout much of it, which is very unusual for me. In a later episode, she talks to another mother who has been through a similar experience and their conversation is deeply moving, jerkingly honest and as a demonstration of the high quality of the writing, delves into despair, depression, feeling utterly alone and lost in a way so rarely seen on TV.

The plot keeps you guessing and on the edge of your seat. I am not actually particularly keen on who dunnits but this is so, so much more. It covers a broad spectrum of important subjects: marital infidelity is explored in a very real and refreshing way; the effect of loss and tragedy on a marriage and on siblings; how we react to the word "sex offender" as a blanket concept rather than thinking about the huge range of offences it covers. How quickly a fearful community can become a lynch mob with scant evidence. Most accurately, it demonstrates the role of the Press in our society: how exaggeration and emotive words used only to sell papers can distort the facts with tragic effect; how young reporters are exploited and how their ambition to excel is abused by unscrupulous editors; and how easily we do believe what we read.

Andrew Buchan, (Cranford, The Fixer, & the brilliant Party Animals and Garrow's Law), one of the very finest actors of our age in my opinion, is sublime as always. To appreciate fully his skill it is worth watching his other work to recognise the range and subtlety of his ability in this. He could so easily have fallen into over-acting in this role, but he is a master of his craft and it is a great privilege to watch him.

Olivia Colman is wonderful, and no wonder Meryl Streep called her "divinely gifted". She is perfectly cast and her various roles in the Police, as a wife, as a mother and as a friend is so cleverly and interestingly explored.

I could go on: David Tennant is fascinating and compelling as the detective; David Bradley as the newsagent is truly memorable and keeps the balance of suspicion and sympathy perfectly; Pauline Quirke is so wonderfully sinister that I don't think I'll think of her in the same way ever again.

The direction is beautifully and excitingly executed: from the claustophobic scenes in the Lattimer's house to the wide sweep of the beaches and cliffs, even to the horror of what is encapsulated in one of the vehicles, to the scenes of Beth running in different contexts, it is quite simply one of the finest productions I have ever seen.

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC SLOW BURN DRAMA!!!!!, 6 Dec 2013
This review is from: Broadchurch [DVD] (DVD)
I originally saw Broadchurch on tv and thought it was a masterpiece. The second viewing confirms this view, it IS a masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 17 Jun 2013
This review is from: Broadchurch [DVD] (DVD)
We had missed this when it was shown on TV but friends encouraged us to try & see it so when it became available on DVD we ordered it - what a good decision.
It was brilliant - and no advertising!
The `extra's' were well worth seeing too so we got a really good understanding of how the production came about & how the actors and crew were taken through the process - what an innovative way of creating a series - which produced a spectacular TV experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 6 Dec 2013
This review is from: Broadchurch [DVD] (DVD)
I really loved this series. I found it very strong and powerful. David tenant at his best. In fact I liked the whole cast. It did keep you guessing and I must say I was surprised at the out come. Very well done. Believe there will be a second series. I hope so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blooming brilliant, 23 Nov 2013
This review is from: Broadchurch [DVD] (DVD)
I missed this series when it was on TV but heard so many great things about it that I just had to get the DVD! It's a brilliant British series and I was hooked. I watched seven of the episodes in one day as I just had to see more!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bravo-church, 18 Jun 2013
C. Riedel - See all my reviews
This review is from: Broadchurch [DVD] (DVD)
Living In the US and being a David Tennant fan, I found it hard not to want to see Broadchurch. The story was the second thing that interested me, for I do like a good mystery. The first thing was the casting. I knew most of them from other shows I have seen on BBC America and each one did an amazing job. The writing was also amazing. I kept changing my mind from one episode to the other over who the murderer was and was stunned to find out who it was. Every character has a story and each story grabs you and gets you involved and that is the markings of a great story. Of all the characters, I enjoyed Ellie Miller and Alec Hardy. Ellie for her take charge attitude and being able to cope with being partnered with crusty, grumpy, but haunted Alec. Alec was a man of secrets and inner pain, but that never kept him from trying to do his job.

If you enjoy an edge of your seat story, this is one to buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best drama!, 17 April 2014
This review is from: Broadchurch [DVD] (DVD)
Superb plot, good twists and turns. satisfying sting in the tail, excellent suspense. Just the kind of entertainment I like!

5.0 out of 5 stars OUTSTANDING, 12 Mar 2014
This review is from: Broadchurch [DVD] (DVD)
Superbly crafted mystery. Beautifully filmed, exploiting splendid Dorset coastal setting. Consummate acting.
Compelling plot. Complex and absorbing to the end.

ARRAY(0xa3948cc0)

Broadchurch [DVD]
Broadchurch [DVD] by Olivia Colman (DVD - 2013)
13.00