4.0 out of 5 stars Great intro, gets you up to a practical level very quickly
To put my review into a meaningful context, I will say now that I have been programming for 2-3 years. The thing with this book though, is that almost nowhere within it did I encounter any terminology I would have found intimidating as a beginner. I had wanted to program VBA as it is enormously useful and this book was exactly what I was after.

The author...
Published 10 months ago by Matt M

3.0 out of 5 stars probably my fault for buying a book for dummies
Published 3 months ago by LizzardSB

4.0 out of 5 stars Great intro, gets you up to a practical level very quickly, 6 Oct 2013

The author begins by stating the strengths of Excel VBA and also it's history which is interesting enough. He then goes on to talk about the way that VBA programs are structured (if, for, while statements etc.) and how to write handy subroutines and functions. All the while the code is kept to small examples between 5-20 lines and I found that I learnt quickly from copying and tweaking them. These succinct code snippets definitely made progress quick and I found myself using what I had learnt practically straight away in my job.

The books aim is this: To get you to a good enough level of VBA that you can structure your programs nicely and create nice looking forms but giving you the knowledge you need to delve fearlessly into the standard help documentation. Once I had understood how to initialize my variables and write loops and conditional statements, browsing the help led to me finding all sorts of fantastic functions and methods that I had been previously ignorant of. As a result I would say my productivity increased considerably.

The author also provides, early on, a very important chapter on the Excel Object Model(which tells you how the Excel objects are linked to one another) and once you have an understanding of this, the rest will come much more easily. Later on, Chart Objects and User Forms are covered and I think this is the level to which most people would be happy to get to. The examples are well explained and there are no unpleasant large chunks of code left without explanation.

This intro assumes no prior knowledge of anything computer related (provided you can turn your PC on and know how to open Excel of course!) and is ideal for the beginner. Furthermore, Excel (indeed MS Office) is ubiquitous and learning a bit of VBA can be rewarding and eventually save you a lot of time. One of the aspects I did like was the author's tendency to clearly explain using examples and not some silly analogy (which I have experienced in Dummies guides before). Additionally, key points are made and then re-iterated throughout the text.

Mr Spreadsheet, as the author is also known also has a great web page with many VBA programs and ideas on it, that I found myself making large use of. He also has what I guess is a follow-up book to this, which may be my next port of call.

All in all, if you want to learn VBA this is a very good place to start for the experienced programmer and the beginner alike. Although I would have liked to have seen a bit more on Chart Objects. I would also like to apologise for the poor and rather dull structure of this review, I am no Shakespeare!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good starter book, 7 May 2014
OK if you are a bit of a Techi with some programming experience in other languages, but needs reading a few times to understand the concepts. Need a good grounding in Excel first and have some reson in mind wanting to learn VBA in the first place.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I needed, 29 May 2014
Ms. Lisa Mcintosh (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
This book quickly took me from complete beginner to a reasonably high level of confidence. Well written with a good balance between examples and theory. All the examples given are explained in appropriate detail, it covers the main topics, and explains how to write clear, organised and understandable code.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple to follow and well explained a must for beginner to medium level users, 28 May 2014
This book is a smaller version of Excel 2013 Power Programming with VBA also written by the same author. It is a handy book to carry in a laptop case to have as a reference wherever you may be. Naturally does not contain as much in his Power Programming book but you could not carry it about.
Well worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny Author, 8 May 2014
I read so many reviews before I decided to buy one. The book is very interesting as the author seems to be very funny in writing. I like the method of writing of the author, it does make me feel as if I am reading a novel or story book. I will recommend it again and again. Nice book.

3.0 out of 5 stars probably my fault for buying a book for dummies, 8 May 2014
LizzardSB (Hampshire / Surrey) - See all my reviews
I find this book of little use but as I say, it is probably my own fault. If you've not really used spreadsheets before and find the thought of programming in any language baffling, then the book is for you. I'm already an engineering professional and thought it'd be helpful to know a bit more VB, specifically when i'm writing macros for sorting data etc.. Not a particularly good reference book but would be great if you're a complete beginner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Always love Dummies books, 30 April 2014
Arrived in good time and well packaged. Very clear and well set out. Going thru this book slowly and it is very helpful and I can understand the lessons. Explains things in a practical way and makes me feel like a guru when I get the macros right :)

4.0 out of 5 stars A good basic book, 27 April 2014
A good introductory text that gets you going. The humour gets to be a bit unnecessary at times. The code examples are helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excel VBA Programming For Dummies, 25 April 2014
Excel VBA Programming For Dummies -An excellent book especially for an introductory into VBA programming within Excel. Well worth the read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good for starters, 19 Feb 2014
I'm really satisfied with this book. It's easy to understand and teaches you most of the basic things you need to know. I did however miss a couple of things, that I would consider basic VBA knowledge. But all in all very recommendable.

Excel VBA Programming For Dummies