5.0 out of 5 stars This is why I buy Indie
Buying Indie books is much like buying a scratch card and hoping for the very best. Sometimes you get your money back but mostly you lose due to frustrating and poor editing.
However, then there are these rare times when you pleasantly find, not only have you won but you have gotten back more than you put in.
Bound by the restraints of, `what is hot right now,'...
Published 13 months ago by Helen

3.0 out of 5 stars A different book for me!
Not normally a book I would choose to read but as it was recommended I did.
A little slow to get going but the storyline was eventually quite addictive and found myself wanting to read on to see what would happen next. Interesting characters and good descriptions.
Published 19 months ago by Ali J

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This is why I buy Indie, 14 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Mason McQueen and the Gargoyle's Curse (book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Bound by the restraints of, `what is hot right now,' the new release market does tend to get very stale very quickly and while I enjoy stories containing vampires, werewolves and witches, I find myself getting increasingly tired of the identical driven plots, (same colour, different shade).
This is roundabout the time when I delve into the world of Indie authors as they have the tendency to shine and surprise you when you least expect it and you discover a great book that you have to tell others about.
I may be in my early 30's and this book's intended reading age would mainly appeal to teens, but the amount of effort paid to detail and the enthralling storyline is enough to hook all lovers of the fantasy genre. The characters are fun and memorable, their unique gifts interesting and with a touch of comedy, mystery and action thrown in, the Mason McQueen books could very well grow into a must read series.
With minimal errors this well written book is plot driven and the story builds at a good strong place and entices you to continue at the end of each chapter.
Don't be fooled into thinking this is another Harry Potter rip off as the ending will surprise you all and leave you desperately wanting to continue the story in the next book. One to watch!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent first book, looking forward to the next one., 12 Jun. 2013
I don't usually read fictional books but thought the gargoyles curse was excellent. Love the plot twists and story build up. I also like the setting and it reminds me of a certain place in my younger days :). There is plenty of detail and the characters are memorable.

Definitely worth a read and i'm looking forward to continuing the story when the next book arrives. well done.

5.0 out of 5 stars The start of something big......, 3 Jun. 2013
This book is the debut novel from a promising author. It is the first in a proposed series of books for young adults. The novel will take the readers on a journey that will have them diarising the publishing date of the follow up. Full of humour and originality, you won't want to put this book down. The book is a gem for those who love the Harry Potter series, taking the reader to the next level. Download it, enjoy it, rate it and be sure to tell your friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great first book. Cant wait for a sequel, 2 Oct. 2013
Brenda Cross - See all my reviews
Kept me guessing till the very end.The everyday life of average teenager Mason McQueen will never be the same again. As the local cat population goes missing and the people of his hometown start acting strangely it's up to Mason to figure out what is going on.
This is a new teen series for a new generation and Mason McQueen and the gargoyle's curse (book 1) has done an amazing job of setting the scene for what could be the beginning of something quite special. Every chapter of the book seems to spur you on to read the next, revealing only a snippet of information at a time that nagged at my curiosity and kept me guessing as I switched between different theories I had concocted. Normally I find it difficult to warm to new characters but after reading a third of the book I quickly grew to like Mason, Blaine and Chloe and found myself really wishing someone would teach egotistical Hunter a good lesson in humility.
Unknown outcomes now plague certain characters and only at the end do we find out we have merely scratched the surface of a far bigger problems to come. I look forward to discovering what will happen next and encourage all fans of fantasy to give this book a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book 2, now please!, 30 Sept. 2013
Normally I like a break and switch between titles but never before have I ever been so eager to continue and read the next book in a series. After the shock ending I was left screaming at my e-reader as there were no more pages left and I really hope the sequel is available to buy soon. There are plenty of fun and original characters to both fall in love with and loathe. The constant banter between them adds an extra dimension to their personalities. The plot is fresh and unique and unlike anything I have read in years, with unfinished mysteries still left to be explained I think the best is yet to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, engaging read., 13 Sept. 2013
I read this book after recently getting an Amazon kindle and taking it on holiday with me. Thinking it might just be another wannabe Harry-Potter style novel I began to read but soon found myself being unable to put it down. The plot is excellent and the characters incredibly memorable. I would recommend this to anyone with a keen eye for fantasy reading or who's just bored and looking for a new book to read. Can't wait for book two!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fang-Tastic book, 18 April 2013
i was recommended this book from a friend to read whilst away on a cruise and for once i am actually pleased i listened to him. a well written and well developed original story takes place in a small english town and it falls to mason mcqueen to find out what exactly is going on. with some great comedy moments and the odd interesting nature fact snuck in along the way i would highly recommend this book.i read the whole thing in just over a day sneaking back to my cabin to finish the occasional chapter and the only negative is that book 2 hasnt been released yet. Cannot wait :)

2.0 out of 5 stars Waffled on a Bit, 10 April 2014
For me, this was a boring read. The story waffled on and on about mundane things, giving way too much information that wasn't relevant to the story.

Also, lots of grammar errors and spelling mistakes/typos, it just needs editing really.

I had thought when I read other readers comments, that this book was right up my street, but it just didn't work for me, and I'm sorry to say, that despite persevering, I gave up before halfway through. Maybe it would appeal to a younger audience though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 29 Sept. 2013
Mason McQueen and the Gargoyle's Curse is a book for all ages, not just young adults.
Mason who is the main focus is a brilliant character, with just the right amount of sarcasm to keep you laughing and his friends provide a wonderful accompaniment which just makes the whole book work. Each character continued to surprise me and I want to get to know them even more and it was exciting and fun to read how each one of them reacted as they discovered new talents.
There is some great action packed chapters as the story reaches its climax but I can't describe my favourite part or character without revealing some serious spoilers. The birthday party scene was fantastic, I don't think any of the guests will forget what happened in a hurry and I don't care what anybody else says, but I really love Hunter. He is such an amazing bully and at times I found myself cheering for the wrong guy instead of the hero.
Hearing about passed and forgotten events (the feud especially) provided a rich and deep history, which help you completely immerse yourself in this strange little town where urban legends may actually be fact and there are some very clever clues contained within so be on the lookout.
This is one book you are truly sad after you have read the last page. You just want it to continue.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good story line, 8 Sept. 2013
Would not normally have chosen this book just not my kind of book, but saying that I have really enjoyed the story lines so go on give this book a go and I'm sure ur enjoy.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›