5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant
Great game. Must buy.
Published 1 month ago by Stephen Holmes

3.0 out of 5 stars Maybe I was a little late to the party
I have always heard great things of the Uncharted series but never got the opportunity to play one of the games because I didn't own a PS3 until recently. I decided to pick one up and play through some of their great exclusives before the release of the PS4 in the winter. Now I've always been a fan of action/adventure games so I thought I would start with Uncharted...
Published 20 months ago by pfrd92

3.0 out of 5 stars Maybe I was a little late to the party, 23 July 2013
This review is from: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune: PlayStation 3 Essentials (PS3) (Video Game)

I was pretty impressed by Uncharted and it does a lot of the things that make a game great. Good story, full characters and decent gameplay however when I compare this to recent games it just doesn't hold up. In fairness this game is nearly 6 years old and some recent games (The Last Of Us, Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite) are absolute masterpieces and it seems unfair to compare them but all the while I was playing I was aware this was quite a few steps behind these games and it impacted my play because it stopped me being engrossed in the world.

However for £10 you can't go wrong if you want a 3rd person shooter with an entertaining story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 7 Feb. 2015
Great game. Must buy.

2.0 out of 5 stars Super Mario with guns!!!!, 27 July 2014
One of the many reasons for me buying a PS3 was because of this collective group of games Naughty Dog as a developers released. With the Uncharted series, I started from the beginning even though at the time I bought this, all three titles had already been released.
To be honest I was very underwhelmed with this game, maybe it was because of the hype that surrounded the franchise didn't live up to my expectations or maybe because it was one of the early games released on the PS3 that it wasn't quite as fined tuned as it needed to be.
The main character Nathan Drake is a descendant of Sir Frances Drake and a wannabe Indiana Jones. Throughout the course of the trilogy and in particular this first game I didn't really warm to him as a character. A prototypical looking action hero, cocky and a text book personality of your average man . For me this isn't particularly a character that I can relate too or that I particularly would want to play.
Thankfully though the supporting cast is a step up from the protagonist, giving a bit more personality to the story. Talking of the story, it's maybe the strongest of all three of the Uncharted games and this probably the most positive aspect of this game. It's centred around Nathan finding his ancestors treasure, prior to this the Nazi's have also been searching for Sir Frances Drakes treasure, thus giving the game a bit of historical weight. The story is pretty clever to how it unfolds and the play between certain characters colour's the story even more.
Towards the end of the game, the mythical element soon shines following the natural path of all archaeology esque stories i.e Tomb Raider and Indiana Jones. The problem I have with this, is that I've seen it all before and it gets a bit tiresome seeing the same thing again but with a sub-par protagonist.

Okay, onto the gameplay. Movement and gun-play is smooth throughout, but it does all feel very arcady making the game feel like a Mario game with guns. AI of the enemies is poor and all the way through the game you'll just be fighting wave after wave of enemies, it seriously makes the game boring and all I could think was..."Be patient, the second game will be better!" This is the kind of thing I shouldn't be thinking whilst playing as I could feel myself getting frustrated. Climbing seems pretty quick making it easy to manoeuvre Drake around. The guns you use are your standard, Machine gun, hand gun, shotgun etc.
At one point you'll drive a jet ski which is a pain in the arse to manoeuvre, again the frustrating element will come back to haunt you!

Graphics aren't anything special, but I have to be careful not to criticise them too much given the fact that this was an early release on the PS3. Only later on in the series do you see the graphics become very impressive. The surroundings of the game don't really vary, green aztec jungles and temples surround you through the game. This also adds another nail in the coffin for the game's boredom factor.

The sound is average, voice acting is pretty good but the music is forgettable. Ambient and gun shots are all the usual, pulled more than likely from your standard game sounds library.

Overall I would advise you to avoid this game and move straight to the second in the series, it's a nice introduction to the characters and a neat story but that's it. Your best off reading about the story and not wasting hours of your life wading through a frustrating dirge of a game. As much as I see people rating this game highly, I can't see it myself and more than likely they are heavily influenced by the media or the sequels which followed.

Gameplay 2/5
Story 4/5
Sound 3/5
Graphics 2/5

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 Dec. 2014
Great!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Game, 26 July 2013
Great story, good gameplay (can get repetitive). Needs less shooting more puzzles. But definately pick it up. The main reason I gave it four stars is because Drake is such a likable character.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good game!, 1 Aug. 2013
Very entertaining game.
Just don't understand the need to put zombies in it!

All in all, great fun, highly re-playable. Lot's of items to find.

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune: PlayStation 3 Essentials (PS3)