5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product
Bought to replace the George Foreman which had seen good service for a number of years and finally expired. Read the excellent reviews before buying the product which we have now had for about a month. We have not been disappointed because it:

Seems well put together
Takes up less space than the George
Dials are uncomplicated and simple to use (no...
Published 22 months ago by Newvistas

2.0 out of 5 stars lettering comes off
Published 14 months ago by elaine

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, 6 Jun. 2013
Newvistas (Shropshire UK) - See all my reviews

Seems well put together
Takes up less space than the George
Dials are uncomplicated and simple to use (no electronics to go wrong, reminiscent of our Dualit toaster)
Heats up fairly quickly
The floating hinge works great with various thicknesses
Has a choice of plate surfaces as both plates are reversible and easy to take on and off when cold!
Can be used closed for paninis, toasted sandwiches, burgers, chops, steaks, vegetables, etc
Can also be used open (doubling the cooking surface area) for pancakes, eggs, barbecues, etc (not tried it open yet)
Is easy to clean with the removable plates (we leave them about an hour and wash in soapy water, no scrubbing)
The integral drip tray which slides out for emptying/cleaning means you don't forget to put it under the front as sometimes happened with the George, but conversely you do need to remember to empty it too because its out of sight!
Has a five year warranty

For a more detailed report on this product, read the other reviews.

So far, we wouldn't be without it.

Update 4 July 2013: Had to return the machine as the letters were coming off the dials, that was on the 10 June. It was 2 to 3 days outside the Amazon return period so called Cuisinart who got us to send it back using Collect Plus at their expense and within about 7 days had a brand new machine which arrived on the 21 June. Great, the machine is very good and don't want to be without it. However after only using it twice noticed that the letters are coming off the right hand dial again (last time it was all three predominately across the top of the dials where the clean up cloth goes over them!). Will be on the phone to Cuisinart today and will report back again soon. Still insist that the machine is great at what it does and it does it well, but this issue obviously needs sorting.

Update 11 August 2013: Machine was again returned to Cuisinart at their expense after a phone call. This will be the second machine that we have had to return with the lettering coming off the dials; some what of an embarrassment to Cuisinart! Customer service was fine about it and the lady involved said that she would make sure the replacement came from a new batch to avoid a repeat problem. Also good to note that after each return was received by them someone always contacted us by phone to confirm what was happening about the problem. From a customer point of view that has to be good thing. Brand new replacement machine was received on the 12 July, has been in regular use and there has been no reoccurrence of the lettering on the dials coming off. Even with the problems of the lettering coming off the dials, which has to be down to a manufacturing issue, the machine is simply great at what it does and it does it well. And remember it does come with a 5 year manufacturers warranty and first class customer service, so we would still say "what is not to like?".

5.0 out of 5 stars Cuisinart Griddle and Grill is a culinary delight., 5 April 2013
This review is from: Cuisinart Griddle and Grill (Kitchen & Home)
I am very happy with the performance of my Cuisinart Griddle and Grill, yes, it is quite expensive when compared to other models but this grill is so versatile as one has complete control over temperatures of the interchangeable plates; for me this was a very important feature as with other brands of grills you would only get the one heat level. I have managed to cook a whole evening meal with it.
It is in everyday use and would not want to be without it.
I thoroughly recommend this Griddle and Grill, you wont be disappointed .

5.0 out of 5 stars A rival to the George Foreman Grill? The Cuisinart is a contender!!, 5 April 2013
Steve.J (Glos. UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Cuisinart Griddle and Grill (Kitchen & Home)
Our old electric contact griddle / grill 'died' recently, so I went looking for a replacement on the web. The major criteria (apart from actually cooking the food properly, obvious, but easily forgotten, duh!!) was that it had removable non-stick cooking plates for easy cleaning. The reviews of the George Foreman product suggested that there were some quality issues with the removable plate model, so I carried on looking.
I found the Cuisinart Griddle and Grill as an option, so decided to do a bit of research and finally convinced myself to get one. Yes, it is at the expensive end of the range for this type of product and this size, but not too much, for one with removable non-stick cooking plates.
The cooking area, with the lid closed, is about 285mm x 230mm, enough to do 4 burgers, or 4 8oz fillet steaks, but the advantage of the Cuisinart is that the lid section hinges completely flat to give two cooking surfaces, if needed.
Heat up time to the highest setting is ~ 5 to 7 minutes, and you have reversible plate options, either flat griddle plates or ridged grill plates. You can either select a specific temperature range or select one of 5 pre-set temperatures for Grill/Panini.
So far, I have only used this in the closed position, to cook home-made burgers, crispy bacon for sandwiches, BLT's, fillet steaks chicken breasts and sausages and burgers all bought from our local butcher (no risk of donkey, horse or camel meat, unlike certain supermarkets you could point a finger at!!) Tuna steaks also have cooked really well. The lid is a 'floating' design, so it levels itself according to the thickness of the food. For best results you need to cook foods of a similar thickness at the same time.

The results have been excellent, but obviously it needed a bit of experimenting to get used to the cooking characteristics of the grill. The manual for the Cuisinart seemed to err on the side of 'well done' cooking, which I suppose is understandable, especially with chicken or pork, but I have had to cut down on these times to avoid serious over-cooking.

The cooking plates are a cinch to remove (just remember to let them cool down first, which is much longer than the heat up times) and they clean up very quickly in warm, soapy, water. Cleaning is best done ASAP to remove any staining on the plates or the body of the unit. They are also very easy to replace. There is one button to press to release the top plate and one to release the bottom plate.
The plates are quite lightweight, but seem to have a good quality non-stick coating, there are certainly no signs of wear after 4 months steady use.

Like the competition it does have a removable fat drain tray built in, which locates underneath from the side of the unit at 45 degrees. The Cuisinart is not sloped like the George Foreman, so any fat will drain more slowly, but I have not found it to be a major problem yet, especially if using the ridged grill plates. It also comes with a plastic scraper unit to clear off any cooking debris. Obviously you have to use the plastic scraper once the plates have cooled down.

I have noticed that when cooking foods with a higher moisture content, with the lid closed, that you do get some condensation of liquids on the handle,resulting in a few drips onto the work surface. This is not a major problem, but it pays to have the unit sat on some kitchen towel or similar and to wipe away any liquid that gathers.

I read in the manual that this item comes with a 5 year warranty for domestic applications only, which indicates a certain level of confidence in the product. I will update the review as I get more experience with the unit, but so far it has become a must have item for me when cooking. Also it reduces fat splashes if you are cooking with the lid down, which is a bonus when cleaning the kitchen after cooking.
I have added some photos of my unit to give more of an overview of the unit.

I have been comparing notes with a friend who bought one of these (on my recommendation) and she rates it higher than both the George Foreman and Lakeland options, both of which she has owned and used. Her one point was that if you cook with the top plate lowered onto the food, then this will trap a lot more moisture in the food, sometimes desirable, sometimes not, so be prepared to experiment to get the food cooked exactly to your taste. I continue to be impressed by this grill, it cooks quickly and is easy to maintain. I have also noticed that the price has fallen since I bought one, so watch the selling price very carefully, if it drops under £90, it becomes a very good buy!!

UPDATE 14/08/2013 - My Cuisinart became a victim of the 'vanishing lettering syndrome' about 10 days ago (see the additional comments). I contacted Cuisinart and they asked me to send it back to their service centre, which I did. A few days later I received a call from them to say that replacement had been despatched. This arrived yesterday, so I have a shiny new grill - only one problem, they do not seem to have cured the manufacturing issue with the painted dial markers, as the first time I wiped the unit off after use, just using a damp cloth, the lettering started to come off again!! It is a shame that such a silly quality control fault is affecting what is an otherwise great grill. Time to get in touch with Cuisinart again, I suppose. The only trouble is, I hate being without it, as I just love cooking with it!!

Well, the new grill arrived promptly (you do get good customer service from Cuisinart) and so far there are no more problems with the lettering rubbing off.

2.0 out of 5 stars lettering comes off, 23 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Cuisinart Griddle and Grill (Kitchen & Home)
wasn't sure how many stars to give this item...coz it was faulty...many other reviews pointed out the same persistent issue...sub-standard lettering which comes off with simple wiping....in my case one alphabet was already missing when taken out of the box...griddle/sandwich press/grill are all about coming in contact with grease ...if their lettering is not designed to withstand a bit of grease/wipe and clean...then its useless....another design fault( unlike george foreman grills...this one has a totally flat surface,no slant whatsoever... hence there is no scope for dripping extra fat & all of it will burn on flat surfaces...the fat drainage outlet at the back seems impractical and pretty useless...its strange how this simplest issue has yet not been resolved despite persistent customer complaints....considering that this is such an expensive item

on the plus side though...i'm amazed at the excellent no-quibble return policy...free pick up service for faulty items...order placed 22dec, got delivered 27th dec...refunded on 2nd jan...super swift...

5.0 out of 5 stars What did I do without it? Versatile, Easy to clean & Easy to use, so I've used it more than I thought I would., 4 Mar. 2015
Loz (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cuisinart Griddle and Grill (Kitchen & Home)
I use this every day. I don't know what I did without it. I use it mainly to prepare wraps for school lunches - Add chicken & cheese and squash it for a few minutes & hey presto a nice packed lunch with no stodgy bread.
The variable height is much better than the George foreman grills with the fixed hinge. You can get both plates flat on your food so it's evenly cooked.
Cleaning is easy - The removable plates are a must & easy to remove. As easy to wash as a non-stick pan. I put them in the dishwasher for the occasional thorough wash.
Variable heat settings enable me to cook more delicate things like asparagus wrapped in parma ham.
It folds out flat so you can use both pates as an indoor BBQ.
The plates are reversible - so you can have grill lines (my favourite) or turn over the plates for a flat grill surface.
Oh and it looks pretty retro and trendy so I can leave it out on the worktop.
It may be more expensive than other options but, as I use it more often than I would a cheap one, my per/use cost is low - (this is usually how I justify expensive shoe purchases but it applies here too - ha ha)

1.0 out of 5 stars very very poor build quality, 21 Jun. 2013
gypsy (BASINGSTOKE, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
does what it says on the tin. this appliance is in constant use for grilling or griddle. especially love being able to clean the hot plates by removing them
.......
I feel i now have to edit this review, the appliance is now overheating causing burning to the areas where the release locks are, also two of the dials on the front have become overheated to the point of breaking and creating sharp edges, I am dispute with the company (Conair)who distribute this product but they have no interest in the fact this item is possibly dangerous. And Amazon have been no help in dealing with this issue either

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so great!, 15 April 2014
D. C. Niven - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cuisinart Griddle and Grill (Kitchen & Home)
It's early days yet - so far it's been brilliant specially things like seafood kebabs with prawns, squid and scallops!
It appears to be well made and robust unkije some of the more popular makes and is so easy to clean.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed, 13 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Cuisinart Griddle and Grill (Kitchen & Home)
Had to send this back, numbers came off dials after one wipe, hard to clean, plates didn't fit properly after a short while, flat surface so food sat in the fat during cooking, when you lift lid fat drips on to work surface. Do Not Buy expensive bit of tat.

On the plus side they must know its rubbish as they refunded my money no arguments.

1.0 out of 5 stars Really disappointed with this, 16 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Cuisinart Griddle and Grill (Kitchen & Home)
Really disappointed with this. I bought two off the back of the other product reviews but on the first use, it became apparent there was a serious design fault.

Open the griddle, set the temperature to any temperature and the plates heat up. Once the plates reach the desired temp, the thermostat cuts the power and the plates begin to cool - but the temperature doesn't drop a few degrees, it drops all the way to 150c before the thermostat cuts back in and the plates begin to warm.

I set the unit to 230c and once it reached this temp, it cooled down to 150c taking 3 minutes and 20 seconds to do so. Once 150c was reached, it began the heating cycle back up to 230c which took 2 minutes 30 seconds wherein the cool and heat cycle began again.

What this means is that the desired cooking temperature was only achieved once every 5 and a half minutes. This happened on both units and so is clearly a design fault. Very disappointing and both units were returned to Amazon

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent addition to the kitchen, 5 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Cuisinart Griddle and Grill (Kitchen & Home)
Excellent piece of kit. Easy to clean and change from grill to griddle, as the plates come out without a problem. Heats up fast, and the temperature is constant enough for repeat cooking sessions with the same results every time. Produces the best wraps I've ever had. Use it now almost on a daily basis. Highly recommended.

Cuisinart Griddle and Grill