5.0 out of 5 stars Tremendous Troll Trap!, 27 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Troll Trap (Smelly Trolls Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Let me start by saying, neither my son nor I are in the target group for this book. However... I don't think there really should be one! My son is four and I'm older than that, a lot older and WE absolutely loved it! We've had story time together since he was an infant and as he's got older, obviously, the books have changed. This means I'm always on the lookout for good quality children's fiction we can read together,and there are some good ones out there. I think this one is right up there with the best.

We read it together on my laptop since the kindle broke two weeks ago. (I don't know how Daddy, it just went pop!) He identified with the characters and I hope the author won't mind but we changed the characters names to represent people he knows. Even our grumpy neighbour featured heavily.

The book is beautifully written and the language perfect for children (and adults) of any age.
I'm not going to talk about the storyline because you'll have to read it. But, it's a proper story with proper adventures and to me that's really important because you've got to maintain their interest. It's just good clean (alright there's lots of Troll related grunge in there) fun.

The best bit about the book for me, were the belly laughs it caused in my son, not just once but countless times through the story. They are infectious! There were times when I started sniggering at something we'd just read and that set us both off again. This is the first book where both of us have found it equally funny and for me the bonding experience I had with him as a result will never be forgotten. It was a wonderful experience.

We will miss the story tonight. Can we have some more?

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 27 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Troll Trap (Smelly Trolls Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I have read many books by Rosen, all of them aimed at adults, So I was intrigued when she announced that she had written a childrens book. My son is 7 and reads quite well, and its a book that can be read by children(though they cant do funny voices, very well) the characters are likeable and there is lots of good troll related stinky bits. My son described it as 'Fantastic and 'great'. he couldn't find a bad thing about this book.

He loved the illustrations and they do help round this book out to a great read. If Rosen chooses to write more childrens books there is the demand for more. And as a comparison of how good it is, if you've ever read Roald Dahl's BFG you will love this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's an onion, 27 May 2013
This review is from: The Troll Trap (Smelly Trolls Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Layers of humour, fantasy, fable, wonderful prose and life lessons with sprinklings of snot and poo. This is a story you'll love to share with the young people in your life.

4.0 out of 5 stars A revoltingly good adventure!, 17 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Troll Trap (Smelly Trolls Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
The Troll Trap is something of a departure for author Rosen Trevithick, but from reading it you might think she has been writing children's fiction for years. This is an accomplished and exciting story, designed to appeal to kids by grossing them out - something they always love!

Just the names of the characters gives a good flavour of the book (even if that flavour is probably cheesy feet mixed with rancid cabbage). Trolls such as Gunkfreak, Gobb Podgelton, the Super-Troll-Knobbly-Foot family and the terrifying Ogre of Uggle, are just as memorable as humans Rufus Sebbleford, Polly Chromatic, and teachers Mr Crimplemop and Mr Grubstopper. All mixed up in an adventure to stop the trolls eating a school using cunning plans, secret hideouts and dangerous missions.

The illustrations by Katie Stewart benefit this book enormously. Each chapter begins with a gorgeous drawing, so you can see for youself how repulsive the trolls are, and the ingenious plans of the kids fighting them.

The Troll Trap is a book guaranteed to make you go "Ewwwwwwwwww!" - in a good way!

4.0 out of 5 stars The troll trap, 18 April 2014
I decided to read it to my ten year old boy over a few evenings while he was playing minecraft and it went down a treat. The book is set at a great pace, jumping into action and maintaining it throughout, the characters were likable and the story had a few laugh out loud moments. The only think we weren't that keen on was some of the names of the minor characters - which is such a small thing.

All in all an entertaining story with a happy ending.
Me and my boy rate this book as 4 stars out of 5 and shall defiantly recommend to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars very funny, 5 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Troll Trap (Smelly Trolls Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Have been reading this to my children and they love it, little boys have strange choices for bedtime reading. A good mixture of funniness and just the right amount of smelliness and danger. The boys want more (me too.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Did we like it? Yarb! (That's hell yeah in troll), 24 April 2013
The Kindle Book Review (Indianapolis, IN) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Troll Trap (Smelly Trolls Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I am a fan of Rosen's work and when I saw that she had written a children's book I was surprised and delighted. My 5 year old son and I have read this book a bit each night for the last two weeks, and we both loved it. A troll claiming benefits to feed her troll children, classic. So engaging and funny, this book was a big hit with my little man, who reads above his age and is a huge fan of the BFG, which this book has some parallels with.

Enjoyable for adults and children, this book is another example of just how good and versatile a writer Rosen is. This book was the best thing I have read since Trevor Forest's Magic Molly series, which is equally well written and hilarious. Check them out for your little ones when you can.

Rachel Dove
The Kindle Book Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Hold your nose, there be trolls coming!, 28 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Troll Trap (Smelly Trolls Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Although this is a children's book, and I am way past my youth, I really enjoyed reading this! It is a fun, lighthearted read and well written. Children who enjoy Roald Dahl and Horrible Histories may like this. A stinky, squealchy story that will appeal to the child within.

4.0 out of 5 stars A gem of a book for children and adults alike, 25 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Troll Trap (Smelly Trolls Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
'The Troll Trap' is not the typical Rosen Trevithick fare I am used to. Previously, I have read 'Seesaw' and 'Pompomberry House', the former a series of often dark adult stories, the latter a wildly funny, biting satire. This book is aimed at children, but I must stress I am neither a child nor have children. The book still worked for me, though. As with the best children's books, e.g. Roald Dahl, this book can be enjoyed just as much by adults too.

I read this book with two minds: my own adult mind and the mind of a child (not too difficult on my part!). The book easily works on both levels. The author is clearly gifted at writing for little ones, for she captures smells and touch brilliantly and she has a wonderful turn of phrase which will get kids giggling. Adults will also smile at the book (as I did) and laugh a little too (which I also did!). My favourite character was, by far, the Ma troll, who tries her best to fit in as a human but fails miserably. It's a comic treasure of a character. Even now, I can hear her grunting the word 'benefits' as a way to live as a human and it makes me laugh out loud. Rosen has a bizarre sense of humour and she puts it to great use in this book.

I must also mention the brilliant little pictures at the start of each chapter. The illustrator lends charm to the book and I often found myself going back to the picture after finishing the chapter, for the chapter itself often explains what the drawing is about. The picture on the cover is bizarre but it is explained in the book's ending, where different bits from earlier in the book all come together to build to a clever conclusion.

This is exactly how I imagine a children's book to be. Menacing enough to thrill children (but not scare them too much) and with just about the right amount of humour and emotion. Sure, it's a bit sweet in the end, but it's a children's book so you wouldn't expect profound open endings! Is this children's book a hit? A big smelly yarb!

4.0 out of 5 stars I was trapped!, 23 Mar 2013
M. Brookes - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Troll Trap (Smelly Trolls Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Let me start by saying that this book probably wasn't written for me. You see I'm not a child and this is a children's story. There are some that would argue that really I am still a kid who has just kept growing over the years, but what do they know?

Now some would also say that an adult shouldn't read a story intended for children and to them I say "Phooey! You're talking out of your pooh hole!" If people listened to such talk then they would miss gems like this. In some ways it was quite refreshing to read a story that is essentially pure, it lives in the imagination. Although on a few occasions I did wonder if it was actually a clever allegory about immigration and new people adjusting to life in a strange land.

Whether that is the case or not is irrelevant, this is a fun story. Well written and full of the wonder I remember seeing in the world as a young boy. The book is illustrated with some charming cartoons. Well worth a read no matter what size child you are.

The Troll Trap (Smelly Trolls Book 1)