4.0 out of 5 stars A nice Disney musical although not in the "Poppins" league
Petes Dragon has very nice songs and is still a fine movie despite it's age. The Actors are fine and Eliot is loveable.
Published on 15 Dec 2009 by Bo V. Rasmussen

1.0 out of 5 stars Really Disappointed - Heavily Cut Version
Published 16 months ago by DCT

1.0 out of 5 stars Really Disappointed - Heavily Cut Version, 20 April 2013
This review is from: Pete's Dragon [Blu-ray] [1977] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
Pete's Dragon is one of the very first films I remember seeing at the cinema as a child and because of this it's always been a favourite. I was thrilled to see that it was coming out on Blu Ray, as it meant I could replace my Region 1 DVD that I can no longer play as I don't have a region free Blu Ray player, and I pre ordered it straight away. Perhaps I should have read the small print first! The disc arrived on Monday and I sat down this evening to watch it. A little way in I thought, I'm sure 'Happiest Home in These Hills' was near the beginning of the film, but then decided I must be wrong. 'I Saw a Dragon' then seemed to end a bit abruptly and that's when I started to get suspicious. When 'Candle on the Water' wasn't in it at all I finally realised that there was definitely something wrong. After the film ended I did some searching online and then found out that this is the heavily edited version of the film. Why on earth have Disney decided to release this version instead of the full film? I've dug out my (now unplayable) Region 1 DVD and found out that it's 129 minutes long compared with 106 minutes on the Blu Ray disc. That's a whole 23 minutes missing from the film. The picture quality on the Blu Ray is fantastic and if this was the full version of the film I would give it 5 stars without question. As it is I'm left feeling conned and cheated. Nothing I can do about it as I can't send the disc back as I've watched it now and I can't order the American 35th anniversary edition as that's Region A which I can't play. Why has the full version been released in America when we get stuck with this butchered version? I had hoped that Pete's Dragon may pave the way for Mary Poppins and Bedknobs & Broomsticks to finally be released on Blu Ray. If they're to be treated in the same way then I'd rather Disney didn't bother!

1.0 out of 5 stars disney screwed us again edited badly, 16 April 2013
my petes dragon dvd has 124 mins on it

my blu ray only 106 ok as stated on write up but we know we cant always take even whats on packet as correct on blu ray 1 hr 45 mins shows

so sorry a whole 3 points lost not sure if usa release has 124 or original 136 minutes

either way I silly me expected to upgrade blu ray from dvd but no once again I cant I hve to have both why do I want blu ray and then lose many minutesa

Disney its not good enough

you will kill the blu ray format at this rate

sorry to knock 3 points off but to lose 20 mins or so from last dvd release I feel warrants such a mark

just put dvd in 2hr 3 minute as opposed to 1 hr 45 mins as said not acceptable

first cut is the opening sequence back to shortened version without

2."The Happiest Home in These Hills" - Lena, Merle, Grover, Willie

ok that's just about forgiveable

but next one is not forgiveable at all

how dare they take out

candle in the water scene and song

its a disgrace and I am going to phone Disney uk now

its a main song and they even put on blu ray at back ther award winning candle in the water

its a con a real con

buyt the us version its all region

go to dvdworldusa.com and get 128 mins at good price and usually stuff arrives in 3 days from florida

just takne it down to one point the thing that put me going down again was the insult of saying incliding the award best selling sog candle on the water

yes ok legally thay can say its tittel song so is sort of there as part of the medley of tunes from the film

but the real scene with Helen reddy singing it at the light house is the definitive version from that film

Disney uk have apoliogised and I amn for first time hopeing to send back this to amazon and hopefully get refund

ADVICE PLEASE DONT BUY IF YOU DO SEND IT OR TAKE IT BACK TO RETAILER ITS THE ONLY WAY WE AS CONSUMERS CAN MAKE A STAND TO DISNEY UK

less than 20 quid dvdworldusa will send me 128 min film b ray and dvd from florida prob 2 to 5 days very good as usual
god it gets worse another of my favourite songs about 4 mins long
Ive got a bill of sale decimated to aboiut one minute

can I give zero I wish I ciuld

on dvd this scene is at 1 hr 30 on the blu ray we are there at 1 hr 15 so u can see even more before that point has been cut but cant recall scene by scen just main points re some songs

its disgusting we spend our money with Disney uk eu and they treat us like idiots

never again from now on I will get all Disney usa releases only

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice Disney musical although not in the "Poppins" league, 15 Dec 2009
This version is 128 minutesand that is the longest version you can get and that's good. Nice to finally have the restored versions of the lesser known Disney musicals back. Both "Bedknobs & Broomsticks" And "Happiest millionaire" has been issued finally in their full lenght.

5.0 out of 5 stars With distinction the best and dearest Disney movie ever., 9 Mar 2003
C. Maier "Constanze1980" (Österreich) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pete's Dragon [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Whenever I feel bad or have had an exhausting business day, there is nothing more consulating and fine for me than curling myself up on the sofa, sipping a cup of steaming chocolate with cream and - of course - to transfer myself into the magical world of little orphan Pete and his great, green, of-average-dragon-size friend Elliot.
This movie is, in my educated opinion (as Jim Dale alias „Dr. Terminus“ would definitely say), the best, loveliest and sweetest within the range of Disney's masterpieces.
The story about the value of friendship between human boy and fantasy animal is simple yet touching: orphan boy Pete, escaping from his „Would-be-family“ (the Gogan-Gang, always dirty and using a rude language, who has bought him for fifty dollars plus legals) that enforces him to work hard on their farm, makes friends with Elliot, the giant, green but sooooooo sweet and kind dragon. Together they make their way to Passamaquody, a small town, where people first are quite hostile against small Pete and his dragon. They hold him responsible for several accidents that happen (just because Elliot does not know that cement may be a problem if you step on it when it's still wet....great fun and laughter!). Desperate and feeling hated by the people of Passamaquody, Pete makes his way into a cave near the lighthouse. He is very angry at Elliot who is the cause of all what happened. Luckily, the lovely and beautiful lighthouse keeper, Nora (wonderful Helen Reddy!), finds Pete there and offers him to stay with her and her dad (the unforgettable Mickey Rooney who seemed to be a talented singer as well), and so he does. Of course, Nora does not believe that Elliot could be real. Actually no one does until he angrily breaks into the school where Pete is about to be hit on the bottom by his teacher, Ms. Taylor, for pulling her chair (in fact it was Elliot again!!!). At this particular moment, also a certain Dr. Terminus (great and very well-known actor Jim Dale from the „Carry on“-movies) who is nothing but a quack and make-belief-doctor selling make-belief-remedies becomes attentive to what is going on - wouldn't that be a profitable business selling dragon parts??? From that time on, he and his peculiar fellow Hoagy try to get hold of Pete's dragon. As Pete of course does and can not sell Elliot, the doc and his companion search for another way of finally owning him. They figure out a new murky plan when the mad Gogans come to town in search of their „possession“ Pete. Together the make up a hidious plan that does - luckily!!! - not work out in the end. Go, buy the tape and see for yourself how the story ends!
I particularly enjoy the great melodies and singing sequences of the film. They go into your ear so easily! Not to forget the wonderful, unique and ever so talented singer Helen Reddy as Nora and Mickey Rooney as her clumsy but likeable father.
This film is a treasure to be kept for years and generations to come - I have owned it for a long time myself now and still could not say that any other film I ever saw touched and moved me as much as this one did. A true delight for everybody!

1.0 out of 5 stars Petes Dragon UK DISNEY Blu Ray Edition, 6 Jun 2013
This review is from: Pete's Dragon [Blu-ray] [1977] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
I cannot belive what Disney UK have done with this release as previous reviewers have stated if you are a fan of this film you are in for a big shock.Dont ask me why but Disney have used a heavily CUT print to the tune of nearly 18 minutes missing from the original release it beggers belief when i check my old DVD copy that is the FULL print running 124 minutes against the BLU RAY at 106 minutes.Several songs have been trimmed but the biggest blooper is the film won the best song oscar in 1977 for "Candle On The Water" a lovely sequence that Helen Reddy sings on the lighthouse balcony in the film this has been completley CUT!!!! and to make matters worst Disney have stated on the back cover i quote "including the 1977 academy award best song nominee "Candle On The Water"who the hell is checking the product before it goes to print this is most defitnely FALSE ADVERTISING im sure BBC WATCHDOG and Anne Robinson would love to take Disney to task over this.There is a contact number on the box for Disney UK 020 8222 1571 they do answer it as well rather quickly when i spoke to them about this complete mess of a release they said they would look into it and get back to me you gussed it im still waiting nearly 3 weeks later.Do not buy this dreadfull UK version get the FULL UNCUT USA BLU RAY fron Amazon it is region ABC will play fine on your UK player and at the current price is 42p more and that includes postage than the rubbish UK copy!! Disney UK need to realise that the public will not be ripped off like this they should be encouraging people to go over to Blu Ray Hi Def not aviod it,sorry to go on a bit but you have been warned by the way Amazon UK REFUNDED me in full when i contacted regarding this fiasco and appologised and were very helpfull 10/10 for them 0 points for Disney sorry lets hope they take note. Mark l Wallasey Merseyside. 6th June 2013.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pete's Dragon Blu-Ray - Heavily cut; buyer beware!!, 13 Jan 2014
K. PORTER (North East UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pete's Dragon [DVD] [1977] (DVD)
Steer well clear of the UK Blu-Ray version of this movie. The UK DVD has a running time of over 2 hours (2hrs4mins); this new Blu-Ray release runs at 106 mins - 18 minutes of the movie has been heavily and drastically cut. The cuts include several of the key songs being removed, and other scenes and songs edited randomly. DO NOT PURCHASE THIS DISC - IMPORT THE US BLU-RAY!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Full version of a wonderful classic, 2 July 2013
PLEASE CHECK WHICH VERSION YOU ARE ORDERING AS SOME OF THE REVIEWS LISTED HERE DO NOT APPLY TO THIS ITEM!

So yes, this is one of the longest versions available, NOT the heavily edited one to which many of these reviews refer, I can only assume the listing was altered.

3.0 out of 5 stars warning - severely edited, 18 April 2013
This review is from: Pete's Dragon [Blu-ray] [1977] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
the picture is fantastic however i only watched the first 20 minutes. The song "happiest home in these hills" is completely missing from this edition as is the 2nd half of " i swear i saw a dragon". I didn't even get any further as i am going to get the region free US version which runs at 22 minutes longer (i am assuming from the reviews of that version that all the songs are there in full. such a shame about this version but again the picture is outstanding considering the age of the film.

5.0 out of 5 stars "I Swear I Saw a Dragon!", 18 Sep 2007
Mark Baker (Santa Clarita, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Pete's Dragon [DVD] [1977] (DVD)
Pete (Sean Marshall) is a poor orphan. He's been adopted by the mean Gogan family run by the matriarch Lena (Shelley Winters). The Gogans make him work from morning til night and beat him for the slightest thing.

So, naturally, he runs away. Only this time he has help in the form of Elliot. Elliot is a dragon. And while he doesn't always think about what he's doing, he means well. And he really wants to help Pete.

Pete and Elliot happen to find the town of Passamaquoddy on the coast of Maine. Their first trip through town doesn't go well, so they find themselves out by the lighthouse, where they make friends with Lampie (Mickey Rooney) the lighthouse keeper and his adult daughter Nora (Helen Reddy). Have they found a real home at last?

Meanwhile, Doc Terminus (Jim Dale) and his assistant Hoagy (Red Buttons) have wandered into town. The Doc is a quack, selling fake potions and running from one town to the next just ahead of the lynch mob. They get word of the dragon and set out to capture him for the money they can make from his body parts. Will they get their hands on Elliot?

This was a favorite movie as a kid, and I still find it entertaining as an adult. Which is surprising when you consider the serious subject matter dealt with. Lampie is an alcoholic and Pete is running away from an abusive home. I think one reason it works is that the villains are so over the top you can't take them too seriously. There's some classic vaudeville in them. Heck, I often feel like booing the bad Doc.

And the music really helps. Yes, this is a musical with 10 songs. Honestly, I love all these songs in their own way. Of course, "Candle on the Water" is the most famous. I think my favorite is "Brazzle Dazzle Day."

Elliot is an animated dragon inhabiting a live action world. While by no means state of the art for today, it does hold up remarkable well for a 30 year old film.

All told, this really is a fun movie that kids of all ages will enjoy. If that's you or your family, sit down and watch this classic today.

1.0 out of 5 stars short blu-ray, 17 Feb 2014
D. Wilsher - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pete's Dragon [Blu-ray] [1977] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
firstly i cant fault amazons service,as usual top class.the reason i gave it 1 star is theres a lot missing from this blu-ray.the original had a lot more in it.

Pete's Dragon [Blu-ray] [1977] [Region Free]
Pete's Dragon [Blu-ray] [1977] [Region Free] by Don Chaffey (Blu-ray - 2013)