Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My son, aged 7 loves his transformers but he loves my old 1980's metal ones more than the modern plastic ones. I think this is because the new ones are really complex to convert and rely on a tricky series of movements of ball joints to twist and fold them into shape.

This new transformer is much more akin to the old ones, albeit made of plastic now.

The box is about 18" by 12" and Optimus stands about 14" high. He has flashing lights when you move the grill down and a ratcheted cannon that can fire 5 missiles one after another. This cannon is great fun and works very well. Converting him into a truck is simple. Lift the cannon assembly, fold the arms under, fold the legs under and unfold the rear wheels. My son got it first time. No need to keep the instructions!

This has translated into more play time and less mangled transformer. We have another Optimus Prime that is so complex that it spends most of the time between truck and robot and never gets played.

The toy seems quite durable but I would say don't pay full retail. I would say that £30 is about right.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 24 October 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
First up, I know nothing about transformers except that they are robots that transform into vehicles. I'm a middle aged female and it's not something I've ever played with myself but I thought it would be a great toy for a nearly 7 year old boy.

I was very surprised when the postman turned up with an enormous box. I really had not realised how big this thing was - I just assumed it was about the size of an action man which I got completely wrong. It's enormous and once out of the box stands a good 14 inches tall.

It caused a HUGE deal of excitement for our young lad. I was impressed with the size of it but I did think how it looked a bit too plastic. Did that matter to an excited boy - not one little bit. I think sometimes us adults are worried about toys looking a bit cheap and worrying over whether it is too fragile etc when in fact the kids just couldn't care less.

For kids, this Optimus Prime robot seems fantastic. It forms into a great hulking beast of a truck and it comes with a range of 'missile' attachments and gimmicky things that appeal to boys.

For actual toy collectors, I'm sure it probably might be a disappointment because it looks rather cheaply made and ugly.

My boy loves shooting the missiles from the black part at the top of the truck. I have no idea what that's called. It twists round and you press to fire out 5 different plastic missiles - they don't fire that far so of no danger or anything. The truck part of it definitely gets played with the most.

In robot form his chest area and eyes light up although I don't think that looks that impressive myself. More exciting is pressing down on a chest bar piece which spins the black missile holder at the back.

Transforming it can involve parts falling off which you need to push back in place. That does make me wonder how long it might really last but then I don't really view this as a keepsake item it's a toy to be played with and boys can be pretty rough when they play.

The upshot is that my boy thinks it's a really awesome and amazing toy so who am I to argue and it's definitely a firm favorite already.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 30 September 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Back in the eighties when I was a kid, Transformers were a big thing. Everything it seemed had to transform - whether it was technically a Transformer or not. These days it's all a lot more high octane than it was back then, and despite the fact that my six year old has never seen a Transformer film, he has a small collection of Transformer toys in which this Transformers Prime Beast Hunter Optimus Prime now takes pride of place. Firstly it's much bigger than any of his other Transformers and stands about 35cm tall when in robot form. It's pretty easy to Transform and only took my son a days play to confidently learn the necessary transformation steps - there are instructions supplied. This is important because one of his other Transformers is so hard to transform that it gets relatively little action (even with the instructions I can't figure it out). Whether in robot form or truck form (more of an armored SUV than a traditional Optimus Prime truck) the main attraction here is the large rotating missile launcher which holds 5 missiles. When you twist the handle on the back of the launcher, it rotates and brings a new missile into the firing position (it also lowers the grill on the chest and lights up the windshield and eyes of Optimus Prime). By doing this you can launch 5 missiles in quick succession. Also supplied are a large battle shield and sword. My son is absolutely thrilled with this toy. He took it over to his Grandmas for Sunday lunch and his face was beaming as the other kids in the road crowded round him saying things like "Wow, is that a Transformers Beast Hunter - can I have a look?".

The age rating on the box is 5 years plus. I think it will probably be suitable for children up to about 8 or 9 years, but younger children may struggle with the transformation and probably lose the missiles in about 5 seconds. It's easy to be a boring parent about these things and say it's just a big piece of expensive plastic in an oversized box, but to my six year old it's the coolest thing he's ever seen - and he's played with it every day since he got it. To be honest, if I had the great pleasure of being six again, I think i'd probably feel the same.
on 21 January 2014
My4 yr old has played with this everyday for the last month and its not broke yet- unusual for transformers! Difficult to transform into a truck for a 4 yr old but his 9 yr old brother manages to do it fine.
VINE VOICEon 13 November 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Beast Hunter Optimus Prime is huge! It's way bigger than the Transformers we'd bought for our son previously. The benefit (for me) of it being on the large side was that it's a lot easier to transform into a truck. I usually struggle with the smaller, more fiddly bots, but then maybe I'm just getting old.

This Transformer has a rotating gun mounted on its back that can fire an assortment of projectiles. You load them all up and can then rotate and fire them in quick succession. I think we've already lost some of the projectiles, but then that's probably not a bad thing.

Our son was really impressed by this toy and loved the fact that it was big and could shoot things. The mechanism that rotates the gun is a weak area though, as this is done by pressing a bar on the front of the bot. We found this kept getting stuck, which stopped the gun from rotating, although you can rotate it into position by hand to unstick it.
TOP 50 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 23 September 2013
I have some experience of Transformers. Having taken Scatty and Gritz
(the twins) to see both movies I am pleased to tell you that my eardrums
still bear the scars!

So here is Mr Optimus Prime in all his dubious glory. He's made of
plastic in China. To be very honest for the full RRP it could hardly be
thought to be worth the money. It looks kinda cheap. 7 to 10+ year olds
are going to love it, nonetheless, whatever my opinion but in terms of
durability I remain to be convinced of its longevity.

Mr Prime transforms somewhat clunkily into his several manifestations
and there is doubtless fun to be had with a little imagination and
a certain amount of patience. Give some thought to the projectile
launchers, however, they could have your eye out.

Mixed feelings about this one I'm afraid, or perhaps I'm just getting old!

Ho Hum.
on 29 December 2013
I remember the transformer toys of the early 90's and they were quality metal / plastic toys that were well designed and a pleasure to play with.

When my son opened his Optimus Prime Beast Hunter he was delighted, and I was surprised by the size of the toy. However, size certainly isn't everything, and certainly can't make up for a lack of quality or good design.

It's practically impossible to transform the toy between the two states. The lorry aspect is so vague that I may well have transformed it, but it just looked like a mass of jumbled plastic on wheels.

My son isn't all that engaged by the toy - he plays with it occasionally.

Overall, I consider the toy to be an absolute rip off and hugely inferior to the transformer toys of 20 years ago.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Considering the price of this toy, you'd think the manufacturers would be kind enough to include batteries. I remember Christmases of yore when toys would be opened and you'd be unable to play with them until the shop opened and you could go and buy batteries. I would have thought that in 2013, this would be a given.

As for the toy- it's very big and the detail is great. Optimus Prime is my son's favourite transformers character so he was very pleased. It looks complicated but actually it transformed without too much trouble. I don't think he'll ever get tired of the missile launcher! It's bigger than I expected at around 14 or 15 inches tall and the box is massive!

All in all, a treat for Transformers fans, but buy the batteries too.
VINE VOICEon 27 September 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Optimus Prime arrived in the nick of time for a nephew's birthday. This review is based on my observations and my nephew's.

Firstly Optimus Prime looks quite large but surprisingly light and fragile. The plastic construction does appear to be a tad flimsy and I'm not sure how long it will withstand punishment from my nephew. Optimus is chunkier than his normal persona and turns into a truck but when you look at the truck you can't help but stare at it thinking it's a glorified refuse lorry. It's pretty tricky to turn Optimus back and forth between his two states and the pieces don't appear to lock into place securely. I certainly wouldn't want to pay £25 let alone £50 which is the recommended retail price. £10 - £15 maybe but you're paying for a brand. And it's also worth mentioning the weapons on Optimus - wear some eye protection as the projectiles come flying out quickly!

Nephew's opinion - wow, thanks uncle.
on 30 December 2013
My son was overwhelmed by this at Christmas and loved it. He soon got frustrated with it because everything has to be in exactly the right place for the automatic bits to work. Even my husband found it tricky to get it exactly right. It is an awful lot of money for what it is and feels like bits might snap at any minute. Very disappointed with the quality. So glad I didn't pay full price for it.