5.0 out of 5 stars Immerses you in the daily and nightly dramas of a paramedic
Published 17 months ago by Kevin O'Byrne

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite a good read
Interesting and with plenty of detail. Lots of grammatical errors though, which I found irritating. Some of the stories were very moving and brought a tear to my eye.
Published 14 months ago by Scotinexile

5.0 out of 5 stars Immerses you in the daily and nightly dramas of a paramedic, 14 Feb 2013
Kevin O'Byrne "strummer" (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Dark Side - Real Life Accounts of an NHS Paramedic - The Good, the Bad and the Downright Ugly (Kindle Edition)
I have to start by declaring a connection, as I helped Andy to professionally proofread his book, but I hope that doesn't devalue my review here because Andy deserves a lot of praise, I feel. I was impressed by his commitment to putting across accounts that were at the same time factual and entertainingly written, with good pace and tension. There's graphic detail but only to give an accurate picture of events, not to shock, coupled with a great sense of the emotion he and his patients felt; though the paramedic usually fights to hide it and he gives a great sense of that fight going on inside. There's a lot of dialogue, which helps to really give a sense of the tension in each of the different encounters. I found it a very absorbing read. I learned a lot about how our bodies react to situations I wouldn't have imagined could have been survived, and how a paramedic can buy us vital minutes when we most need it. Not only did Andy employ my services, he also had the book professionally formatted for Kindle, and hopefully this investment shines through in the final result. I'd be truly surprised if you don't find this a great read, and I'd challenge you not to shed a tear during one of the stories in particular - I did, incredibly moving.

5.0 out of 5 stars Real life accounts of an NHS Paramedic by Andy Thompson., 25 Oct 2013
Scottydog (Northants UK) - See all my reviews
As a Paramedic It is exactly as Andy has written, no punches pulled, the funny side and the heartbreaking side, I recommend this read to any body. Keep up the good work Andy.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great & at times grim account of a paramedic s precious work., 24 Jun 2013
I 're read this book in three hour's,once you start it's hard to put down,it makes you think how precious life is as the as author state's,also he goes into full detail of every life or death or harrowing situation' s and horrific accident without holding back.
That is what makes the book such a great read,I thought it might be a bit predictable,but every story is different and has different outcomes,which I would expect' but the author tells it in such an intense fashion that you can feel his pressure that he was going through in each story.
I had a bad trauma accident that has left me permitly impaired for life,I went through five years of not know if I would lose my left leg as a result.Thankfully I didn't, but it changed my life forever and have a steel pin up to my knee holding my ankle together,all also on strong pain killers and still recovering as I write this review,my bone is still growing around latest pin or fusion I had done.
This book has made me realize how lucky I am to have amazing doctors,surgeon's around,but most importantly is guys like Andy the author who are first on the scene and are the ones that save your life and try there best to make sure it's a good outcome for you.I have nothing but total respect for them,they are angels in my eyes,there quick thinking actions in adrenalin fuelled pressure on there behalf is amazing and Andy gives you a no holes barred account of the daily pressure they face in twelve hours each day.The way that he explains each story is almost as if you are there,it's a true gripping and harrowing insight of the amazing life saving traumatic jobs that the paramedic' s face daily,it made me think when you see the paramedic' s bring a patient into hope,there not just putting them in the back too hosp,they are making life or death decision' s and are essential for your outcome.It's the paramedic' s who start the progress of saving and helping you under extreme pressure most times as the Author makes clear in the book,I take my hat off too them for there work.I highly recommended this book not just for the way it grips you when you hear all the story's,but it makes you think about life in general and how you should enjoy everyday as a blessing,after reading this you just don't know the minute is as true saying,I know that after my accident,but Andy's book puts it into perspective big-time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read!, 23 Feb 2013
As soon as I saw the title and the author I had to buy it, and it certainly hasn't disappointed! Having worked with the author during my early days in the ambulance service, it made for an exciting read and had me thinking.... could that have been me? Did I know that paramedic?
That aside, it provides an accurate account of the situations faced by paramedics and technicians in the ambulance service, and acts as a great revision/factual aid with good medical knowledge to back up the story lines.
A highly recommended read to new and would be paramedics and anyone with a hunger for knowledge!!
Well done Andy x

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fantastic! A real page-turner, I couldn't put it down!, 21 Feb 2013
This book knocks the socks off similar books of the same genre. The author describes, in descriptive and graphic detail, a selection of horrendous, sad and tragic incidents he has attended to during his career as an NHS paramedic, so far. Not all with fatal consequences, granted, but nonetheless so horrific that most of us cannot remotely relate to, nor would you ever want to. I was not only captivated by each of the chapters, but found them educational, informative, intriguing, thought provoking and at times humorous too, but on more than one occasion, I found myself very tearful. Furthermore, the book is beautifully written and flows lovely. Whether you are a fan of non-fiction medical books or not, this book is a must read! I hope the author releases another real life accounts book in the not too distant future, I want to read more!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read!, 29 July 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed every part of this book. It keeps you hooked and wanting to carry on reading the whole thing in one go. Great new author who is also a brilliant paramedic, (having had lots of different jobs to deal with in his career so far), I feel lucky to have had the pleasure of working with him on numerous occasions. The Dark side Part 1 was that good a read I had to purchase part 2 straight away. Highly recommend this book to anyone who is either in the ambulance service, (especially new starters) or people wanting to join the service so they have an idea of what they may face, and the general public too. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Factual and detailed without going over the top, 23 Mar 2014
I've previously worked in Health Care but it's never too late to learn new things. Andy's book seems an honest and factual account of his time working with the emergency services, without having to go into massively gory details; he clearly explains the medical techniques and procedures used, without appearing condescending, using humour and lighthearted banter at times. I'm looking forward to his next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 18 Jan 2014
An excellent account of everyday life in the ambulance service written with humour and compassion . unable to put it down one I had started .

5.0 out of 5 stars great read, 18 April 2014
Really enjoyed reading these accounts some made me cringe and some made me sad! Could read some more stories if the author has it in him?

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 15 Jun 2014
Superb book, felt like I was there in every scenario, a great way to experience the life of a paramedic without actually been there