4.0 out of 5 stars It's a Race to Destruction
If racing cars around a track trying to drive them to destruction sounds like fun, that's because with this toy, quite simply, it is. This is a 1:32 scale Scalextric set with a twist; you build and then destroy the cars, which takes racing to a whole new dimension.

Published 18 months ago by Angela

1.0 out of 5 stars High hopes turned to disappointment
Published 16 months ago by L. Raymond

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a Race to Destruction, 3 Dec. 2013
Angela - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Scalextric QuickBuild C1301 Demolition Derby 1:32 Scale Race Set (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

In the (satisfyingly large) box you get a fair amount of track, two cars, as well as two hand power throttles and a power supply. Set up is fairly simple, each car, which is can be customised by the addition of stickers that are also provided, can be built in different ways, with a choice of bonnets and backs - bits can be left on or off and each driver can choose the configuration of their car. The pieces attach by a familiar looking stud system that has more than a nod to Lego, and is indeed compatible with said bricks. This, it turns out, makes for hours of fun as well as lots of interesting experimentation - I can report that a very tall tower car is not going to make it from concept car to the road any time soon, and a Santa lego minifigure has had the ride of his life! The supplied little articulated driver that comes with each car has more than a passing resemblance to a well known car show white helmeted driver: all adding to the fun.

Since we got this toy we've spent hours playing with it and testing it, literally, to destruction and a quick rebuild beyond. Everything is still working really well, and I'm sure we will have many more hours fun with it. The track is a little hard to put together, and requires adult input, and doesn't seem to be quite as well made as the track of my youth, however you can buy extra pieces and the a satisfying crossover and some straights with a wiggle which allow cars to come into close contact, are included which makes for lots of fun. I think there are a fair amount of track for the price.

It's a shame there is no counter in this set, but as a starter set it really is plug in and go, and I think that most children are going to love it - my kids aged 7 and 10 certainly do! The throttles are relatively easy to use, and I think a 4 year old would manage it, as suggested by the manufacturer, although play is likely to need some supervision. It's more tricky to add the parts to the car, they come off very easy - deliberately so I would imagine, but they can be quite frustrating and our red car seems to have roof fitting issues. The cars are easy to maintain with a quick change system for those iconic scaletrix braids, this is twenty-first century racing with all the attraction of the original.

Minor niggles aside I would totally recommend this toy, and indeed have done to several of my friends. It's pure unadulterated fun in a box!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fun for anyone, 28 Nov. 2013
This is my favourite Scalextric - the fun of smashing the cars against each other is just awesome.
For anyone who has more Lego, they can build more complex cars than those present in this set.

Would highly recommend anyone else who wants to smash some cars and put them back together

4.0 out of 5 stars A lot of (flawed) fun, 20 Feb. 2014
Seren Ade (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I received this free through the Amazon Vine review programme.

This had been one of my most highly prized review freebies - because it seemed so perfectly adapted to my young nephew. He loves building things. He loves Lego. He loves cars. He loves playing with his dad, who has been doing the midweek living in the City and commuting back home to the family at the weekend bit for the last several months after his job changed.

The principles involved in this set are great: the usual Scalextric set, combined with a race to destruction.

The practice is less so.

I query the 4+ age rating on this set. It doesn't seem to be purely a safety rating, but rather a recommendation in relation to the ideal user age.

In my view, 4 is too young. I've worked with children aged from 3 months to 11 years) part-time/holidays/volunteering for coming up for 20 years. In my view 6-7 is a more realistic age range as a start-age recommendation for this set. The pieces are fiddly and fall apart far too easily for younger users. My 4 year old nephew, who is quite dexterous, gentle and has been taught to treat his toys with respect found it really upsetting that 'his' car would just fall apart in his hands. He can build quite happily with Lego - which he loves - and didn't understand why this wasn't staying together for him.

My adult brothers, however, found playing with this highly amusing - and derived great satisfaction out of reducing one another's vehicles to pieces.

1.0 out of 5 stars High hopes turned to disappointment, 26 Jan. 2014
L. Raymond (england) - See all my reviews
Having not played with scalextric for 20yrs and having read the reviews I was delighted to get this in Black Friday for £49! By NYE i wasn't so smug. Cars don't stay fixed long enough to wait until they crash to fall apart. Really fiddly to build, tended to use them unbuilt or partially built as was just easier. Kids found this quite frustrating. After 2 x of building and packing away the track the track sections warped thus creating a bumpy track - this led to cars falling off more and contacts wearing out faster. When it came out the box the first time it was awesome, but very quickly the above made it an unplayable large white elephant. Sigh. Returned.

5.0 out of 5 stars A big five star recommendation from me and my lad, 26 Nov. 2013
Rob S "Rob S" (Conwy, North Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I had Scalextric when I was small (I'm to near to 50 now) and purchased the Micro Scalextric G1075 My First Scalextric Set 1 1:64 Scale Race Set for my lad a few years ago when he was probably 4 or 5, he could't work out how to control the car and it ended up not being used. He is now 10 and I wanted him to have another scalextric so we could both enjoy it together, the Demolition Derby ticked all the boxes, he likes building things, and like most lads he loves destroying things, especially cars.

First impression are very positive, the cars are really well detailed and easy to pop together, there a good size rather than being ting parts to pop together.

There isn't loads of track which for me is a good thing as I'm normally left to put things away and to much track would take a while.

The noise my lad made when they first smashed in to each over was obviously his approval, I thought he was going to wet himself, the windows rattled he was so loud, he loves the fact that there is some real damage.

Controlling the cars is better than the first Scalextric we had, maybe because he is older but we really had fun racing with me trying to avoid being annihilated by my lad each time.

The thing me and my lad like about the cars is you can use lego bits to create your own daft car or what ever you want, we had a Lone ranger game where we put the little Lego figures on the base and tried to see how many we could knock off, I've also used the Mega Bloks Need for Speed Porsche Buildable Turbo Wheel Launchercars to create a car which looked pretty good.

I'm really pleased with this, I so wanted him to enjoy what I so enjoyed as a lad, I'm not sure If there will be other cars that you can add to this series but it would be good to see a truck or bus something along those lines.

A big five star recommendation from me and my lad

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab fab fab, 23 July 2014
This is the best scalextric ever, my 6 and 47 year old love it to pieces and their faces when a crash is imminent is and should be a picture. Best birthday pressie ever (for the 6 year old) they build all sorts of crazy Lego vehicles to race around, it really is fun for the racers and the spectators

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing fun, 9 Jan. 2014
This was a no-brainer purchase for our 6-year old son for Christmas. I loved Scalextric as a boy so this was a chance to introduce him to slot car racing and for me to get back into it. Our experience on Christmas Day was awful - we opened the set, built it...and nothing worked. We checked the building instructions to make sure I hadn't overlooked anything, but no, it was dead. After some fiddling of cables and tweaking of braids on the bottom of the cars, one worked intermittently but then wisps of smoke starting to appear from the hand-controller. At this point we packed it up and waited a couple of days to speak to the Scalextric Customer Service people. After some really basic checks, they confirmed our set was most definitely faulty.

At this point you'd think I'd give this review a poor rating but actually I was very impressed with Amazon's online exchange process. We filled in the forms, a replacement set was dispatched and the faulty unit collected (at no cost) the next day. The new set arrived quickly and worked perfectly. That's where the fun began.

The track is easy to assemble and cars are cool. They are fairly easy to build but definitely require a bit of adult help to get some of the parts to fit properly. When you race you quickly start to develop tactics and engineer full-on collisions on the crossover section as that's where the most spectacular crashes occur. My 6-year old and I spent the whole afternoon racing. We're also big LEGO fans and the studs on the car bases are compatible with regular LEGO bricks, so it wasn't long before we had our LEGO Lone Ranger and Tonto on their horses on the base base of the cars, charging around the track. We also built some custom cars to race.

We also purchased the Ultimate Track Extension Pack and I would definitely recommend this as a worthwhile upgrade to the basic circuit included in the Demolition Derby set. It gives you plenty more opportunities to side-swipe your opponent for some proper carnage. My only fear is that when we get some more cars that are not meant to be destroyed, we'll have to take a lot more care when racing. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it...

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, 27 Dec. 2013
I bought this for Christmas my 5.5 year old son and he is delighted (as am I as it was a great Black Friday deal!). It was easy to set up but my only complaint is that I found the cars quite fiddly to build as the pieces wouldn't stay stuck together, hence the overall 4 stars. Luckily, my son is quite happy to race the 2 cars without building them which is a relief as building them each time they crashed would be a headache for me :)

The track is just as it says in the product information. I'd recommend thinking about whether you have the space to leave it set up permanently as an adult does need to put it together each time. It is easy to carry the whole track from one room to the other if you need to move it, which is our case. The track is of great quality and extra pieces can be bought seperately so it can be expanded with time.

This toy doesn't need batteries and is connected to the mains. I would recommend having an extension lead handy as the wire is a little short for where the plugs are in our lounge. It is all connected up very easily and everything worked well first time. Much fun has been had over the past few days and a lot of shrieks of delight & laughter can be heard when the cars crash! They can get up to quite a speed but will come off the track if you press too hard for too long. My daughter has had fun too so it's not just for the boys ;-)

Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great set, 30 Jan. 2014
debbie8355 (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This set has been a giant hit with my 11 and 9 year old sons. Fits together well and works perfectly. Although a large track is provided they have bought some extra track and additional cars which don't fall apart. Crashing is fun but there are only so many times you want to rebuild your car.
Hours of fun and much better than being stuck in front of a computer or tv screen.
Highly recommended as a starter set.

1.0 out of 5 stars Gave up got bored and returned, 26 Oct. 2014
S. H. Khan "Blueray" (Earth) - See all my reviews
Did not buy it from this site. This is not fit for the purpose it is intended for as in one day of crashing the purple car failed to work. Opened it up and one of the wires attached to the brush head had snapped away. Fixed it by new solder and then the red car suffered the same fate. Gave up got bored and returned. My old scalextric cars have taken a beating for longer and still work. Signs of the times to come