5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fun for anyone
This is my favourite Scalextric - the fun of smashing the cars against each other is just awesome.
For anyone who has more Lego, they can build more complex cars than those present in this set.

Would highly recommend anyone else who wants to smash some cars and put them back together
Published 8 months ago by Model Enthusiast

3.0 out of 5 stars faulty car
One of the cars only worked for a couple of laps of the track on christmas day.. still trying to get a replacement from Hornby
Published 6 months ago by jennifer webb

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fun for anyone, 28 Nov 2013
This review is from: Scalextric QuickBuild C1301 Demolition Derby 1:32 Scale Race Set (Toy)

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a Race to Destruction, 3 Dec 2013
Angel - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If racing cars around a track trying to drive them to destruction sounds like fun, that's because with this toy, quite simply, it is. This is a 1:32 scale Scalextric set with a twist; you build and then destroy the cars, which takes racing to a whole new dimension.

In the (satisfyingly large) box you get a fair amount of track, two cars, as well as two hand power throttles and a power supply. Set up is fairly simple, each car, which is can be customised by the addition of stickers that are also provided, can be built in different ways, with a choice of bonnets and backs - bits can be left on or off and each driver can choose the configuration of their car. The pieces attach by a familiar looking stud system that has more than a nod to Lego, and is indeed compatible with said bricks. This, it turns out, makes for hours of fun as well as lots of interesting experimentation - I can report that a very tall tower car is not going to make it from concept car to the road any time soon, and a Santa lego minifigure has had the ride of his life! The supplied little articulated driver that comes with each car has more than a passing resemblance to a well known car show white helmeted driver: all adding to the fun.

Since we got this toy we've spent hours playing with it and testing it, literally, to destruction and a quick rebuild beyond. Everything is still working really well, and I'm sure we will have many more hours fun with it. The track is a little hard to put together, and requires adult input, and doesn't seem to be quite as well made as the track of my youth, however you can buy extra pieces and the a satisfying crossover and some straights with a wiggle which allow cars to come into close contact, are included which makes for lots of fun. I think there are a fair amount of track for the price.

It's a shame there is no counter in this set, but as a starter set it really is plug in and go, and I think that most children are going to love it - my kids aged 7 and 10 certainly do! The throttles are relatively easy to use, and I think a 4 year old would manage it, as suggested by the manufacturer, although play is likely to need some supervision. It's more tricky to add the parts to the car, they come off very easy - deliberately so I would imagine, but they can be quite frustrating and our red car seems to have roof fitting issues. The cars are easy to maintain with a quick change system for those iconic scaletrix braids, this is twenty-first century racing with all the attraction of the original.

Minor niggles aside I would totally recommend this toy, and indeed have done to several of my friends. It's pure unadulterated fun in a box!

5.0 out of 5 stars A big five star recommendation from me and my lad, 26 Nov 2013
Rob S "Rob S" (Conwy, North Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I had Scalextric when I was small (I'm to near to 50 now) and purchased the Micro Scalextric G1075 My First Scalextric Set 1 1:64 Scale Race Set for my lad a few years ago when he was probably 4 or 5, he could't work out how to control the car and it ended up not being used. He is now 10 and I wanted him to have another scalextric so we could both enjoy it together, the Demolition Derby ticked all the boxes, he likes building things, and like most lads he loves destroying things, especially cars.

First impression are very positive, the cars are really well detailed and easy to pop together, there a good size rather than being ting parts to pop together.

There isn't loads of track which for me is a good thing as I'm normally left to put things away and to much track would take a while.

The noise my lad made when they first smashed in to each over was obviously his approval, I thought he was going to wet himself, the windows rattled he was so loud, he loves the fact that there is some real damage.

Controlling the cars is better than the first Scalextric we had, maybe because he is older but we really had fun racing with me trying to avoid being annihilated by my lad each time.

The thing me and my lad like about the cars is you can use lego bits to create your own daft car or what ever you want, we had a Lone ranger game where we put the little Lego figures on the base and tried to see how many we could knock off, I've also used the Mega Bloks Need for Speed Porsche Buildable Turbo Wheel Launchercars to create a car which looked pretty good.

I'm really pleased with this, I so wanted him to enjoy what I so enjoyed as a lad, I'm not sure If there will be other cars that you can add to this series but it would be good to see a truck or bus something along those lines.

A big five star recommendation from me and my lad

1.0 out of 5 stars Cars keep breaking down - 2nd set, 27 April 2014
I bought this scalextric set specifically as I thought the cars would be well made and robust. Unfortunately I have now just returned the 2nd set to Amazon as the cars just stop working within a few days. I was either very unlucky (getting two sets in a row that were faulty) or in my opinion this product is not fit for purpose.

1.0 out of 5 stars Same fault after minutes of using it. Dead car., 11 Feb 2014
S. Paton - See all my reviews
I initially though this was a quality product as the track was solid and easy to put together. The idea of crashing the cars and bits falling off sounds fun but rebuilding the third or fourth time is a bit less appealing. My 6 year old just left the pieces off after a few times. As the name and design implies, they are meant to have the occasional crash. But on the second time we had the set out one of the cars stopped working, not even after a crash. Amazon made the exchange easy. The second set had the same issue within minutes, again no big crash, just stops working. Checked the contacts, checked the controller, checked on the other track (the other car worked fine on both tracks/controllers) but no, the car just stopped. Full refund given by Amazon and an easy return. Disappointing product.
Will look for another race set to try.

1.0 out of 5 stars High hopes turned to disappointment, 26 Jan 2014
L. Raymond (england) - See all my reviews
Having not played with scalextric for 20yrs and having read the reviews I was delighted to get this in Black Friday for 49! By NYE i wasn't so smug. Cars don't stay fixed long enough to wait until they crash to fall apart. Really fiddly to build, tended to use them unbuilt or partially built as was just easier. Kids found this quite frustrating. After 2 x of building and packing away the track the track sections warped thus creating a bumpy track - this led to cars falling off more and contacts wearing out faster. When it came out the box the first time it was awesome, but very quickly the above made it an unplayable large white elephant. Sigh. Returned.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great starter kit for my 6 year old son, 19 Jan 2014
Great fun and perfect for my son as his first scalextric, the track is ok and the cars are great. We love rebuilding them after each crash and we are building lego houses etc around the track.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real blast from the past for me, a great introduction for my son, 16 Jan 2014
Peter A. J. Bennett (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I gave this to my four and a half year old son for Christmas 2013 and it was a massive hit.

The track is quite a simple figure of eight. What makes it interesting is that where the tracks cross over each other, instead of a bridge there is an intersection. This is complemented by two stretches where the pair of metal tracks that the cars run on chicane together so there is no longer enough width for them to run side by side.

And this is the simple brilliance of the track. As well as getting a great basic set, this is a set where everything is *designed* for crashes. I'm a pretty strict Dad who has been the main person at home with George and spent considerable time and energy trying to minimise the games involving crashing and cars flying across rooms - so you can imagine what a treat this was for him to suddenly find Dad not only approving but joining in!

But I digress. The cars themselves are brilliant. They have a basic Scaletrix chassis with the pickups, wheels and drive mechanism. But, on top of this, you have a variety of Lego parts which you can use to build up the car itself and a tiny "mini Stig" driver in white with a white helmet to put in the car you build. Options are not excessive but you can end up with a couple of varieties of pretty cool low slung hot rod type efforts which you decorate with the stickers provide.

The track is easy to assemble and impressive large and the cars themselves are perfectly balanced. At 90% of throttle they hurtle securely around the corners whilst at 95-100% they fly off. I was impressed at how quickly George (and, indeed, his younger cousin) got the idea of holding the trigger just below "maximum safe speed" and then tweaking it up to watch the cars leave the track.

But the real fun is in the crashes, you aren't going to be having marathon 30 lap endurance races with this brand of Scalextric. My son also quickly mastered "lying in wait" just before the crossing point, with perfect timing to smash my car off the track. I repaid him with the slightly more subtle entry to the chicane just behind your opponent to nudge them into the carpet and zoom off perhaps minus a wing. Really well implemented and really brings a smile to the face.

The cars are perfect for the task at hand. Each piece of Lego is as solid as you'd expect and they fit together not too firmly so that they really fly apart on impact or just lose a piece of two following a glancing blow. Neither car was any the worse for wear after several hours of intensive play.

But, this does bring me to the only caveat, it does start to get a bit tiresome reassembling the red and the purple cars so that they can be crashed into pieces in seconds, so that Daddy can reassemble the cars...we quickly got to a "next player builds their own car before they start" rule...I very much recommend the same.

In summary, a highly recommended Scalextric set for younger children (but not so young the prospect of driving at a speed that keeps you flying off at every corner or so young that the concept of rebuilding your own car will be lost ;-) )...this will provide years of fun for George (and, indeed, for Daddy).

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant fun, just not that robust, 15 Jan 2014
Got this for the whole family at Christmas and it was a huge hit- the kids loved customising the cars and everyone had a scream knocking seven bells out of them. However, we'd only had a couple of goes before one of the cars started to play up, so, as no-one could bear part with it long enough to send it back for a replacement, my husband went at it with a screw-driver. Job done- for now. That's the thing with Scalextric, you know it's not going to last, but it's blimmin' good fun while it does.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lego meets Scalextric! Works in the US., 14 Jan 2014
We bought this set for our 11-year-old son as an addition to a regular Scalextric set he's had for a couple of years. He's very much into Lego and has had a great time building his own cars to race based on the Lego compatible chassis that come with this set. The Hornby-built chassis aren't as well thought out or compatible as Lego might have done, but they work fine for the most part. The demolition pieces that come with the set. as other reviewers have noted, are a somewhat loose fit when assembled, in order to make the parts fly on impact. The impacts can be pretty brutal, though the cars have somehow survived. Scalextric's Hornby-built cars always seem to have weak wire connections at the slot pin, and these chassis are no exception. Some mechanical skill/dexterity will be required of parents to repair these issues as they come up. One of the cars in our set had a loose/unconnected wire at the slot pin right out of the box. It only took a 10 minute fix and is consistent with Hornby's quality control (or lack thereof), but still, come on... I ordered this from the States (it's not available here for some reason), so to those tempted to buy this in the US: This set comes with the UK standard, 3-prong 220 plug stepped down to 16 volts. US Scalextric sets and cars run on 12 volt, though the cars, track and trigger throttles from this set work fine on 12 volt. The cars are labeled 16 volt underneath, but I haven't seen any problems or overheating with them. The only thing that is useless here is the transformer. Overall, though the set was a bit expensive but it's been worth it. Children and adults have had a great time bashing each other up, and the plastic bits have all survived intact -- with some electrical attention along the way.