on 3 December 2013
I was a huge fan of Wild World so bought the New Leaf XL bundle the day it came out - and now, months later, I'm buying a second copy of this game... that should tell you just how much fun this is.

Well, I say "game". I think of it more as a virtual holiday cottage. I'll explain.

Perhaps you want to build the perfect house, full of things that say just who you are - there are literally hundreds of items of collectable furniture. I've unlocked over 500 myself and am still going - and that's not including clothes. Now you've furnished your ideal holiday home, you can swim, dig for dinosaur fossils, fish, catch butterflies, make snowmen in winter, take a boat to a tropical island to play minigames... there is something do do whether you have minutes or hours (and believe me, I've put in the hours).

But the thing about New Leaf - drawback or plus, depending on how you like your gaming - is it's SLOOOOOW. There's lots to do - gardening, minigames, shopping, fishing - but it's real time, and I mean *real* time. You can only make snowmen in winter, and winter is exactly when it is in real life (northern hemisphere, I should point out). Shops are shut at night, although if you're a night owl like me you can tweak the opening hours a bit. I think this just adds to the realism, and gives you a reason to come back to the game - every month brings new bugs and fish to catch, and new game events to collect items from. A lot of the game features take time to unlock, but it makes it feel more like a living, developing community.

And unlike a lot of the "casual" gardening games on Facebook, for example, there are no severe penalties to not playing, other than missing possible items in shops or special events. The worst that can happen if you put it down for a couple of weeks (I had to send my 3DS to Nintendo to have water damage repair, so I had to leave my town to fend for itself for a while) is having to replant your flowerbeds and a bad case of bed hair, which a trip to Shampoodle will soon sort out.

The other big drawback, and the reason I'm buying a cart to go with my download version, is that while you get four "people" in your town, only one gets to be mayor, and you get only one town. I've literally enjoyed it so much I want a second town!

So yes - to sum up, it's not a game as such, and it's not for those who want the "instant fix". If you want to shoot stuff and jump around, other games are for you. But if you've had a hard day at work and have got stuck on the latest level of your latest jumping/shooting game, after a stressful day, you might want to just unwind on the sofa, find the best spot for your new Moai head and then do a little fishing.

P.S. Don't get the official game guide. It's full of misprints, doesn't actually list the purchase prices for items and they aren't in alphabetical order so a pain to find. It's useful in some ways, but you don't need it.
33 comments|42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 July 2013
I'm a married, professional, father of two and I want my life back!
I shouldn't have to water my daughters trees because she hasn't got a watering can or have to post presents to my son because he's collecting mario items.
I shouldn't be so far in debt to Tom Nook or spend so much money on a suspension bridge.
I shouldn't have to run errands for pigs or pay house visits to bears or compliment hippos on their wardrobe.
I shouldn't have to spend so much time fishing or collecting or free diving.
I really shouldn't have a compulsion to single handedly stock an entire aquarium whilst my children sell all their fish to gain bells to buy junk.
I shouldn't HAVE to do any of these things. But I DO them!!!
Every day I do them. And I can't stop it.
My wife calls it an addiction, but that's just because she can't bring herself to admit the truth. I'm actually having an affair with a bunch of pixellated animals.
2525 comments|731 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 March 2015
This is the best game of all time. I can feel the tranquillity of the town flowing through me, I have the best friends it's possible to have, AND they are adorable animals who are happy to wear the One Direction t-shirts I've designed. Even paying my loan is a stress-free endeavour. When I have any anxious or tough moments in my life, I can load up my town and talk to my cranky hamster neighbour, or receive a lamp unexpectedly from a muscular dog, or even just go swimming at the beach. I dunno man, this game is beautiful and everyone in it is so nice to me.
review image
on 22 July 2013
I decided to buy this game on release day as I was very excited for it after playing the previous DS title "Wild World". I've decided to split the review up to make every aspect of the game easier to read!

When you first start up the game you'll recognise the guy on the tram from the other Animal Crossing titles and you receive a small tutorial on things which is good for new and old players to the game. After getting off of the train you are then confused as mayor of the town and actually made mayor! On the first day you'll set about doing things like talking to Isabelle, getting a place for your house from Tom Nook and doing a ceremony to celebrate your arrival.

You'll start out in a tent and gradually waste millions of bells upgrading your home with Tom Nook. Main Street is very similar to the Wii version that I haven't played much but includes old and new shops. To start off with you'll have the post office, photo booth, museum, nookling juction, able sisters and nook's homes. You gradually unlock more stores which will take some time and bells to unlock. Instead of Nook owning the village store he now owns the home improvement store "Nook's Homes" and the village store is now owned by Tommy and Timmy, Nooks' nephews who sell pretty much everything that's not fashion related. "Nookling Junction" is the only expandable store in the game and usually involves spending a set number of bells in the store to expand. The only shop in the actual town and not on main street is Re-Tail which allows you to sell items and put them up for sale and also customise furniture later on.

You'll be able to do all of the things you are normally able to do in the previous titles such as Fishing, Bug Catching, Talking to neighbours, Shopping and Decorating your house. Of course there is the island which you can go to which you'll unlock after paying your 2nd loan to Tom Nook. Neighbours in the town have different personalities and are now a lot smarter than they previously were. You can have up to 9 neighbours in your town, who all move in pretty quickly.

There are 2 main new things you can do as mayor, the first being Public Works Projects. These are basically projects than can be built in your town for a certain fee. Neighbours and other some shop keepers will suggest certain projects depending on their personality. The projects are optional but they are really awesome to do. The 2nd new thing to do as Mayor are "Ordinances'. These essentially allow you to slightly change your town to your liking and to suit your play style. You have the option for; A wealthy town, a beautiful town, a late-night owl town and a early-bird town. They all have their own benefits.

The game operates in real time which is a very good thing and has been implemented better than ever before. All of your shops will open and close in real time and your neighbours will be awake or asleep at certain times depending on their personalities. Events will also be in town such as the Bug-Off, Fishing Tournament and seasonal events. Crazy Redd and Katrina will also come into town. There are so many things to unlock in this game and you can never really properly finish it! Overall this is a great game and I would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone!
on 1 October 2013
I got this game for my 11 year old daughter so im going to let her write it.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf is an amazing game! you start off on a train when a cat joins you. He asks for the name that you would like to be called ( I used Emma as that's my name . He will ask for the date and time ( the game goes on real time e.g. if you play at 3:00 a.m. it will be 3:00 a.m. and everyone will be sleeping ). He will also ask for the name of the town ( this will be the town that you live in, I called my town Emmaford ).

Moving on...
When you arrive to the town you will become the mayor ( you will see why when you play ). now you can go out and explore the world, you can do whatever you want ( you can go to the museum, shop for clothes, upgrade your home. After a while you can do better things e.g. You can go to the Island, get a new hairstyle, get new shoes, have a different hair colour.)

Again moving on...
Public works projects are really fun to do! you can build fountains or buildings or even a tire toy!

In short: You live life as a mayor and you do mayorly things!!!
on 4 March 2016
I've never played Animal Crossing before, a friend recommended it to me in order to "shut me up". Let me explain; When I get a new game, on any system, I usually play it non stop, day after day, until I've finished it. Then I complain that I've got nothing to play. Lol.
My friend said, "get Animal Crossing, it's impossible to complete". Well, that remains to be seen, but I do get the point they were making.

The first few hours I spent walking around, picking things up, selling them, then picking more things up. Huh. Boring. "Is this it?" I thought. So I turned it off, and left it a few days. I told my friend, and they told me to turn it back on and have another look. "it might be different", they said.

So, begrudgingly, I had another go. There I was again, wandering around the beach collecting shells. Then I noticed that there was a new house. It had just appeared overnight. Suddenly, the penny dropped. This isn't a game in the traditional sense. It's a life-sim. A story being told as you go along. It evolves as you play.

A few weeks later and I am addicted. I've visited other islands to gather exotic fruit, I've sold some shirt designs in the shop, and I've just discovered that you can visit friends' towns/worlds also.

In short, this game is a revelation. It's the perfect tonic to today's fast paced, here today gone tomorrow gaming style.
I'm so glad I bought it, and it's the game I recommend to all my friends when they complain of "nothing to play". Lol

Buy it. You won't regret it.
on 24 November 2013
I've bought a Nintendo 3DS only to play Pokemon X/Y. However I bought this game just so I can play something before the Pokemon game would arrive. Funny enough I've spent more time playing Animal Crossing than Pokemon!
on 30 July 2013
Normally I wouldn't buy a game like this as I really enjoy my RPG games with some form of action and fighting but I decided to buy it none the less and I was pleasantly surprised with it.

The graphics are relatively good, the gameplay is enjoyable and the characters are quite quirky and entertaining, it is a fun game to play when you just want something nice and simple to relax to.

I would highly recommend this game to anybody wants something to relax with :)
on 29 July 2013
Thank you Amazon for the fast delivery! I have never played any of animal crossing series before. Always thought it was not my cup of tea! Boy, was I wrong! After reading some portion of the reviews, (after so long...) I thought, yeaa why not give it a try. Must say, am hooked! Simple, easy , relaxing game, very different from the normal RPG games I have played. In this game, I'm the only human being (unless you have another 3 more friends to join you!) and the rest are just animals...as a mayor, I have not done much yet as firstly, I only registered myself as a mayor on the 22nd of this month...yaaay! Secondly, as a 'church mouse', I have been busy collecting things like sand dollar from the beach to earn money. A penny-lesss mayor...how sad! I can see my fellow citizens saying things like, 'all she cares about is making money for her pocket!'. :))) I have the zebra kept harrrrrasssing me for a new furniture, each time I stopped to chat. Nowadays I avoid her as much as I could...nasty...I know...! Through a week of observation, I see them all doing nothing but moving around catching bugs, fishing or digging holes! I'm the one having to run around like a headless chicken doing things for the town! HELLLLLP! But nevertheless, I enjoy playing the game as there are lots to do. The game is all about patience. Plus very addictive! A fab purchase. I love it! Thank you Nintendo, for yet another fab game!
on 28 January 2014
My 3 children all have this game and play it frequently. It doesn't keep them quiet because the game links up and the do things together. My 6 year old son was telling me all about his mortgage and how his big sister had helped him build an extension.
I don't know anything about this game but the kids enjoy it playing either on their own or all together.