5.0 out of 5 stars Great as a serial or all at once!
Having read both of the Emily Castle Mysteries, I was excited to read the new one and I think that the idea of it being a serial story is exciting. This first segment does a great job of setting up the story and introducing the characters. I love how Helen Smith creates these very real and very quirky characters in her stories. She has a wonderful ability to describe...
Published 18 months ago by New Girl

3.0 out of 5 stars Great characters and setting
Invitation to Die had enormous potential and the makings of an entertaining "whodunnit" and while it did entertain I felt that something was missing. To my own discredit, I can't tell you what that something missing was, exactly. Part of my issue was the end of the book-it felt really rushed and I wanted more... more pages... more Emily... just more explanation even...
Published 18 months ago by LondonS

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Invitation to Die, 15 Aug 2013
This review is from: Invitation to Die (Emily Castles Mysteries) (Kindle Edition)
I found that this book was quite hard to get into and was rather too basic for my liking, I like action.

1.0 out of 5 stars Invitation to die, 19 July 2014
This is one of the rubbish book's I have read couldn't believe the characters l kept leaving it and going back ( I hate not finishing a book) it was drawn out to much detail on silly things not enough action felt very let down because it sounded great so if you like fast moving books give this a miss I can honestly say in all the years of reading it my only 3 bad book !! Sorry but you need more action:((

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, escapist reading, 23 May 2013
Nicola F (Nic) (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is the first full-length mystery starring amateur sleuth Emily Castles. I read `Three Sisters' by Helen Smith late last year, which was a short story starring Emily (an introduction to her if you will) and as a consequence, was looking forward to reading a longer mystery featuring her.

In this book, twenty-something Emily is called upon by a friend to assist at a conference of the Romance Writers of Great Britain who have gathered in London to host their annual event. When disaster strikes and an American book blogger is murdered, it is down to Emily to try and figure out whodunit, amidst a very large cast of suspects...

This was a fun, nicely paced read (though it did take a little bit of time to get to the action) with a lot of detail and vivid scene-setting. Great attention was paid to both characters and their surroundings, and as a consequence I could envisage what was happening very clearly. There was also some subtle and tongue-in-cheek humour about blogging and book reviewers generally, which I appreciated. I also liked the fact that I couldn't figure out who the murderer was, as I hate mysteries that are too obvious.

Emily as a character is interesting, though I feel that I still don't know a lot about her, other than superficial facets about her looks and the fact that her dog died recently, which is reiterated, in both this book and the short story about her. I would like to get to know her a bit better- what makes her tick? What about her family? Close friends? Relationships? I feel by far that the secondary characters in Invitation to Die were better developed than she was, unfortunately. I hope that this changes should the author decided to write (and I hope she will) more Emily books in future.

I was admittedly torn between giving this story 3.5 stars or 4- and in the end settled on 4, as it was a good escapist read and more strongly written than the short story was. I'm happy I read it and I would certainly like to read more Emily Castles mysteries in future. I think this book will definitely be appreciated by fans of the cosy mysteries genre.

**Thanks to the author for providing a complimentary copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review**

1.0 out of 5 stars Invitation to die, 11 Jan 2014
The title is not wrong. This is indeed your invitation to die a torturous death. Obvious and purile. Don't waste your money

1.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't read past first two chapters, 22 Aug 2013
Mrs. H. D. Falkner "Hilary" (Devon UK) - See all my reviews
I thought this was rubish - couldn't get into it at all and deleted it from my Kindle after a couple of chapters.

1.0 out of 5 stars Slow, 16 May 2014
Chose the rating on the length of time it took to read.
Very slow and did not keep me interested. The plot wasn't bad but it came over very flat and dull.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyed it., 3 April 2014
A book written about authors and bloggers. A bit close to home YES!!!!!
I run a chat line about mystery books on Amazon, Barb's Books & Chats. I can really imagine after listening to the audio version of this book all my members getting together and slowly one by one they turn up dead. It is a light hearted, funny and fascinating story with so many twists. If I could have given this book a 6 star I would have. Anyone who writes on blogs or threads you HAVE to listen or read this book. I have not heard the narrator before and she was BRILLIANT!!!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Invitation to Die by Helen smith, 28 Mar 2014
Slightly different book for my usual night time reading. it was not particularly gripping but that suited me. It was a nice easy read, bought as a pre - sleeping aid and I can recommend it as a nice easy story with the usual outcomes. Good value as a Kindle edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely different, 14 Mar 2014
I was intrigued by this book from the first sentence and it didn't disappoint.
The characters were well drawn and believable, the plot interesting, although the reason for the murders turned out to be a bit daft.
This is the first of these books that I've read and will certainly be reading more.
For those hoping I would say what the book is about, I suggest reading the synopsis!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 3 Mar 2014
I just could not get into this book,it sounded good, but done nothing for me,I stopped reading it after a couple of chapters.

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›