on 23 September 2013
I've had to totally rewrite my review from a 1 star review to a 5 star review, because believe it or not, I was sent a fake cable by the Amazon seller "NiceVisionLondon" (do not purchase from this seller!).

Following my previous review, I was contacted by Belkin who told me my cable was very likely to be a fake. I didn't personally think anyone would bother to fake a £14 cable, but Belkin sent me a free replacement so I could compare the two. The fake is extremely good quality, but the cable itself was reported as "not Apple certified" by the iPhone whenever I plugged it in and the cable didn't work on USB 3 ports at all.

How to check if you've got a fake cable:

1. There are (very) minor packaging differences on the boxes, which include a couple of typos. eg the box has a message to Australian users at the bottom right of the back of the box in fine print, but on the fake box all the letter t's are missing from this particular sentence, but these are present on the real box I got sent from Belkin. On the cable itself, the fattest part of the connector at the lightning end is about 2mm longer on the real cable than on the fake one. I have posted a comparison photo as a "customer photo" for this product.

2. Another way to tell if the cable is real is to try and use it to charge your phone on an iOS 7 device (it must be iOS 7, not iOS 6!). For most fake cables, this will immediately cause an on-screen message saying that the device is "not Apple certified and may not work reliably with your iPhone". If this message appears, the cable is fake and not a proper Belkin cable.

The real Belkin cable works fine and doesn't have any of the problems. Belkin were very helpful with this issue.

To avoid the problems I had, I would advice you only purchase from Belkin approved sellers such as Amazon direct (not marketplace sellers) to avoid any risk of buying a fake. However one or two marketplace sellers such as BESTBUYIT are actually approved Belkin resellers according to Belkin.

Be aware though the connector on the Belkin cable is slightly fatter than an Apple cable, so may not fit through all bumpers/cases.
review image
2222 comments|175 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 February 2014
If you have a look at the product images you can see where the problem is! The whole connector broke off and got stuck inside my phone, Luckily I was able to remove the component. If this is a genuine belkin product I am shocked as for the price you don't expect it to last 3 days and come up on the phone as an "Unsupported Accessory". Will Not buy from Phone Geeks again and you shouldn't either! Will also think twice about buying Belkin Products! Just buy the Apple Official One
review image
on 28 June 2013
Nice quality cable, not at all flimsy like some others on offer. Charges my iPhone 5 fine and feels robust. I would highly recommend it.
on 13 March 2014
awful, was bought for me a few weeks ago, hasn't worked properly for the past week and has just snapped, don't buy one
on 17 May 2014
This doesn't appear to be a genuine cable. When trying to use it I get the message: "This cable or accessory is not certified and may not work reliably with this iPad". I expected better from Belkin. I'd advise you not to purchase this product.
on 13 March 2014
It broke after 2 uses, obviously not really belkin charger but a fake terrible quality and not worth the money at all. But on the bright side the returning it after it broke was easy and they covered the charge.
on 27 April 2013
** WARNING ** It is suspected that some of the cables listed here by third party resellers are not genuine belkin cables and do not work properly with iOS 7; please be aware when ordering, or only buy cables sold by amazon.co.uk, not marketplace sellers ** WARNING **

UPDATE: I have had this cable for over two years now (since April 2013, it's now Jan 2016). It is still going strong and not showing any signs of wear. I go through a lot of cables (I'm an iOS developer) and most cables I've tried have failed sooner than this - the genuine Apple ones never last me over a year! So this one is highly recommended!

Just bought one of these as an additional cable, did a thorough comparison with the Apple cable that came with my iPhone 5 - here's the key points:

* This cable comes in black - great if you want the cable to match your black iphone, or for use with an in-car mount where the white cables tend to reflect into the windscreen
* Cost is lower than the Apple cable
* The 1.2m cable is about 19cm longer than the standard Apple cable
* Build quality seems as good
* The cable on the Belkin cable is slightly thicker - perhaps this might mean it's more robust
* The USB connector rear part is longer than the Apple one, making it easier to pull out
* The lightning connector surround is longer and wider than the Apple one. The width might cause an issue if you have a case that is tight on space around the connector - although it was fine with my poetic bumper (Poetic Up-Tempo Bumper With Leather Grip Case for iPhone 5 Grey/Black)
* The cable works absolutely fine for both sync & charging (including the lightning connector working when inserted either way - often a problem with clone cables)

Overall I'm very happy with this cable so far.
1111 comments|58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 March 2014
I bought this item because I wanted every member of my family to have a different coloured lightening cable. I bought three altogether. The first one broke the first time it was used. The second one was broken within 24 hours and the third fell apart within a week. They all broke in exactly the same way: The piece that fits into the iPad simply came away from the rest of the cable.

At first I thought perhaps one of the children had been a bit rough and it might be our fault. By even with extra careful handling my own cable broke ridiculously quickly. This item is simply not made to a good enough standard. It's rubbish.
on 16 October 2013
I bought two and one failed after 40 days. As it was past Amazon's 30 day return policy i cannot get a refund. I have sent feedback to Amazon a week ago but as yet there as been no response. The cables themselves look sturdy enough to last you a long time however as one of them has failed I am loathed to purchase the same product again. I managed to get a replacement from a local phone shop and that one works well and it only cost me £5 !
on 18 May 2014
Worked fine at first and then after about 3 months it failed. No visible problem with the cable, just 'not certified'. And now of course it's too late to return it. 30 day returns policy is no use at all with these things.