Style Name: Single unit|Colour: Brown|Change

I bought the Mr Beams MB390 a at lightning deal price. Due to the fact that it did not look so good on the white facade of my house I mounted it in my garden, and after 7 months I am still running on the original batteries!! The powerful bright light the MB390 emits is really surprising.

The durable, high quality materials used really exceeded my expectations. I was also surprised by the bulk of this light! Yet it has to house 4 D Cell batteries.

Luckily I found the identical white version of this product at lightning deal price

Pros:
- Top notch build quality
- Very bright light thanks to the new LEDs which are more powerful with no impact on battery life.
- Wireless. Can use rechargeable D cell batteries (which I highly recommend)
- Battery life is exceptional. ( Yet you will want to place the unit in an easily accessible location). If mounted on a facade to light up doorway, some testing is required as to get the correct angle. You would want to avoid unnecessary triggering caused by passers by.
- Truly weatherproof design. We have had torrential rain, and the unit still functions perfectly.
- Very easy to install.
- Deterrent for would be thieves. And I rate this as a key selling factor.
- Remains functional in the unlikely event of power outage.

Cons:
- Wireless option might not appeal to all.

Bottom line: I really like Mr Beams lights as they are really the best on the market. I highly recommend the MB390 for those looking for a wireless, effective solution.
review image review image review image review image
0Comment|83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 June 2013
Only received this today after buying for a good price on one of Amazon's Lightning Deals, and I've already decided that I really like it.

Only 4 stars for now, because battery life is unknown, but I will update later.

Unlike some of the other models there is no adjustment possible, either to brightness or length of time the light will stay on ... personally I think this is a good thing since it keeps things simple. There is no remote ... again a good thing.

The light is sufficiently bright to enable us to unlock the side gate and retrieve the bins, but not so bright as to annoy the neighbours.

The PIR detection is narrow, so the light only comes on when I step into a small footprint and it will not be come on when the neighbours walk by.

If the batteries last for 12 months or more then it's a 5 star product.

UPDATE 18/11/13

After 5 months of infrequent use still going strong. Using the original batteries and the light is as bright as day one.
22 comments|121 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 28 November 2013
If you're looking for an outdoor spotlight, and can't decide between solar powered or batteries, you should certainly consider these. They provide a wide angle floodlight that you could read by at around 50 ft. The pictures of their power are pretty accurate.

Each takes four 'D' cells, so are a bit bigger than you'd think, but certainly no bigger than the common LED spotlights and solar cells. This twin LED type don't have any switches for timing or power output - or even an on/off switch. That's probably a good thing though, as there's less to go wrong, especially for something left outdoors and probably high up.

The spotlight comes in two main parts. The lights/battery compartment, and the main housing/bracket. Just rotate the front light unit by around 10 degrees and remove from the housing to replace batteries (a bit like an SLR lens hood attaches). This is really easy, especially if you're reaching for lights fixed high up.

The mounting bracket is articulated, and has a knob to tighten up at the correct angle. Three screw holes are available, and screws/rawplugs are provided.

The I.R. sensor is quite sensitive, and will detect you from quite a way off, and at a wide angle too. Certainly a wider angle than the standard halogen I.R. spotlights. The good thing is, that the 20 second delay doesn't kick in until movement is no longer detected, and these are good at detecting even slight movement.

I'm using these to light up dark stables and by field gates. In pitch black countryside they really do provide a lot of light, rarely turn off if you're in their field of view and appear to be quite efficient (The cheapo 39p for 2 batteries I found in the back of a cupboard that are easily 5 years old have been going strong for a few weeks, with no sign of dimming).

Not a cheap option, but certainly an effective one.

EDIT : When the batteries finally run down it seems the sensor is affected before the light output. The unit will keep triggering on and off at random times, although the light output is still really bright. Changing the batteries keeps it all working again. This is probably better as an indication you need to change the batteries than it just stop working. Just don't think you've got a faulty unit!
on 15 July 2015
Its a bit hit and miss but your safe with Amazon as they will refund. I now have 6 of these working from 8. Two were returned, free of charge, as they did not work out of the box (either stayed on permanently or sensors did not work - one of the items looked like it previously owned!). 2 are in the garden (they are storm proof), 1 in conservatory, 1 in the under stair cupboard, and 2 on the stairs (in case kids get up in the night). They give excellent coverage and battery life (I use rechargeable) is good to fair. The lights in the garden tend to last for 4 to 6 weeks, one of the lights (on the first floor landing) lasts about a week because every time someone past it comes on, about 200-300 trips a day (due to first floor landing having no natural light and its a town house and the lounge is on the first floor and it provides access to the 2nd floor).

Sensors are good but cant be adjusted - i find they work perfectly at the level they are set on.

My only issue is that the light could have done with a proper ball joint - if you turn it to the left the light rotates (so if you have it facing completely to the left the two LEDs are aligned vertically). So you cant really get it facing where you want it. Hopefully the photos I attached make this easier to understand.

I have had these for about 4 months now.
review image review image
on 19 November 2013
Firstly, I will say that the lights themselves are great, the motion sensor is sensitive but not overly so, and the light is more than sufficient for what most people will use these for (seeing who is at front door, putting the bins out etc.)

Fixing the lights was very easy, and putting up two of them including fitting batteries took me ten minutes.

The problem is there are three lights in the pack. The third clearly has a loose connection as it will only work if the front is pushed in. This is not immediately apparent but fortunately I noticed before installing the third light.

The three lights came in three completely seperate boxes, not as part of one 3-pack. However, I have been advised by Amazon that I cannot send back just one light, but have to uninstall the other ligts and return all three. This would mean doing it in three seperate boxes.

This seems ridiculous to me so I am knocking stars off for the fact that one of the lights is faulty, and also that Amazon will not replace it on it's own.

Again, the lights were seperately boxed and therefore must be in Amazons warehouse like that. If the lights all came in one box, I would understand. But they don't!!!
44 comments|71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 September 2014
Initially, this was perfect. Screwed to the wall above my garage door so I can see where to get the key in the lock, and it used to come on when I walked past in the morning. Then, after a couple of weeks, I didn't notice it. I removed it from the wall and checked it and it was lifeless.

So I bought some new batteries and it worked just fine in the daylight, so I waited for it to switch off and then tested it in a dark room. No life at all. So I removed the batteries and replaced them again, and it did the same - came on initially, then went off and wouldn't activate again after that.

It seems this is a great design, and is brilliant when it works.....but it doesn't work for very long.

Unfortunately, I bought two other Mr Beams lights (interior ones) when I thought this was the bee's knees. I'm regretting that now.

I can't be bothered to return it to the seller or mess around with it. I'll remove the bracket from the wall and consign another too good to be true Amazon deal to the landfill.

Very disappointing.
on 20 November 2014
Have been impressed with Mr Beams products, but this "weatherproof" outside light has allowed so much water in that it no longer works.
on 1 December 2015
Bought to house outside in all weather (not shielded). Early days yet but it's Scotland and December and it's held up through snow and rain and freezing temperatures. Unlike some other reviews, I find that the light works very well, gives a decent broad beam of light. The PIR sensor activates well and seems to detect from a good 7 meters at least - probably further but only using it at 7m. The PIR initially activated quite a bit but this was only because it was windy and there were branches swaying. I since relocated and it only triggers when we walk near it. Unsure how quickly it will go through batteries. It takes 4 D batteries. The unit can be taken away from the mount easily by turning a screw with your hand and pulling it out. Batteries can easily be changed by twisting the unit to get inside and the batteries can then be accessed be pressing in some tabs and pulling out. It seems like it has a decent enough seal to be weather-tight.
on 31 January 2014
Very easy to install, have attached mine to side of a tree and provides an excellent light giving me ample time to open garage door.

Would be an excellent security light and would definitely buy another Mr Beams MB390 if I ever need one again.
on 18 May 2014
I use this as the main light for my patio. Easily installed, very bright and so far the sensor only went mental once when a spider was crawling all over it.

Good solid build quality feel to this product and so far neighbours and family are interested in getting something similar for their gardens.