4.0 out of 5 stars Useful simplicity
Only received this today after buying for a good price on one of Amazon's Lightning Deals, and I've already decided that I really like it.

Only 4 stars for now, because battery life is unknown, but I will update later.

Published 18 months ago by Brammer

1.0 out of 5 stars Great whilst it worked....
Initially, this was perfect. Screwed to the wall above my garage door so I can see where to get the key in the lock, and it used to come on when I walked past in the morning. Then, after a couple of weeks, I didn't notice it. I removed it from the wall and checked it and it was lifeless.

So I bought some new batteries and it worked just fine in the daylight,...
Published 3 months ago by D. Parker

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful simplicity, 7 Jun 2013
Brammer (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews

Only 4 stars for now, because battery life is unknown, but I will update later.

Unlike some of the other models there is no adjustment possible, either to brightness or length of time the light will stay on ... personally I think this is a good thing since it keeps things simple. There is no remote ... again a good thing.

The light is sufficiently bright to enable us to unlock the side gate and retrieve the bins, but not so bright as to annoy the neighbours.

The PIR detection is narrow, so the light only comes on when I step into a small footprint and it will not be come on when the neighbours walk by.

If the batteries last for 12 months or more then it's a 5 star product.

UPDATE 18/11/13

After 5 months of infrequent use still going strong. Using the original batteries and the light is as bright as day one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerfull Beam, Light on batteries, 20 Feb 2014
Antoine Camilleri - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Mr Beams MB390 300-Lumen Weatherproof Wireless Battery Powered LED Ultra Bright Spotlight with Motion Sensor, Dark Brown (DIY & Tools)
I bought the Mr Beams MB390 a at lightning deal price. Due to the fact that it did not look so good on the white facade of my house I mounted it in my garden, and after 7 months I am still running on the original batteries!! The powerful bright light the MB390 emits is really surprising.

The durable, high quality materials used really exceeded my expectations. I was also surprised by the bulk of this light! Yet it has to house 4 D Cell batteries.

The white version of this identical product is Mr Beams MB380 Ultra Bright Spotlight, White, which I luckily found at a lightning deal price.

Pros:
- Top notch build quality
- Very bright light thanks to the new LEDs which are more powerful with no impact on battery life.
- Wireless. Can use rechargeable D cell batteries (which I highly recommend)
- Battery life is exceptional. ( Yet you will want to place the unit in an easily accessible location). If mounted on a facade to light up doorway, some testing is required as to get the correct angle. You would want to avoid unnecessary triggering caused by passers by.
- Truly weatherproof design. We have had torrential rain, and the unit still functions perfectly.
- Very easy to install.
- Deterrent for would be thieves. And I rate this as a key selling factor.
- Remains functional in the unlikely event of power outage.

Cons:
- Wireless option might not appeal to all.

Bottom line: I really like Mr Beams lights as they are really the best on the market. I highly recommend the MB390 for those looking for a wireless, effective solution.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great whilst it worked...., 12 Sep 2014
D. Parker (London) - See all my reviews

So I bought some new batteries and it worked just fine in the daylight, so I waited for it to switch off and then tested it in a dark room. No life at all. So I removed the batteries and replaced them again, and it did the same - came on initially, then went off and wouldn't activate again after that.

It seems this is a great design, and is brilliant when it works.....but it doesn't work for very long.

Unfortunately, I bought two other Mr Beams lights (interior ones) when I thought this was the bee's knees. I'm regretting that now.

I can't be bothered to return it to the seller or mess around with it. I'll remove the bracket from the wall and consign another too good to be true Amazon deal to the landfill.

Very disappointing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great product, but rapidly malfunctioned: sort it out Mr Beams, 5 Sep 2014
How do you write this kind of review? The product itself is exactly what I was after. It was easy to fit, and gave an excellent light to illuminate my 2 car drive. But it malfunctioned on the second night, and never switched off. There's not much you can do at that point apart from return it, as far as I can see. I really wanted to give it 5*, but the quality control in the company is obviously not there yet. Mr Beams is a US company, and I would guess that it is made in China. If they sort out the QC, it will be great.
I've ordered a replacement, because it does what I want, as long as I get a functioning unit....

Edit: I checked the Duracell D duralock batteries I used in it. They were brand new, expiry 2023, and measured as 1.66V on all 4 (nominal is 1.5V). In other words, the constant "on" behaviour is not down to flat batteries.

Edit 2: the unit was dark green, rather than dark brown

Edit 3: replacement unit received. Behaving better than original unit. Sensitivity is too high, unit is triggered in heavy winds very frequently, I can only assume by moving plants nearby (it points mainly at a drive, with a small tree in the background)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant light, 31 Jan 2014
Very easy to install, have attached mine to side of a tree and provides an excellent light giving me ample time to open garage door.

Would be an excellent security light and would definitely buy another Mr Beams MB390 if I ever need one again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid this at all costs, 27 Oct 2014
I never bother writing reviews. Until now. This lamp was a piece of s___. The LED bulbs failed in less than 12 months (with hardly any use). They died BEFORE the batteries did... A complete rip-off! Good quality LEDs are capable of lasting many, many years. This is clearly built with the cheapest, poor quality bulbs available. A waste of time and money.

5.0 out of 5 stars easily lighting an area of 8 square metres, 25 Nov 2014
The walls on my house are 800 mm thick so running a cable through is very messy. I have been mightily impressed with these self contained lights. They are EXTREMELY BRIGHT, easily lighting an area of 8 square metres. So bright in fact I have had to angle the reflectors downwards to avoid blinding the mother-in-law.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what we needed, 11 Dec 2013
This does everything we need. Good light covering a good area and during last weeks extended power cut a good source of light.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Customer Service, 24 July 2014
Mrs. C. Arnold "C Arnold" (England) - See all my reviews
Bought 2 months ago, sensors have stopped working leaving light on. Have tried to get an answer from company no luck . See from another customer that this fault seems to be a problem. So unless they see this review and reply I cannot give a better review. I am now waiting to see if a second one I bought does the same

5.0 out of 5 stars Sceptical at first .............., 4 Dec 2014
Nicholas Green (UK Hampshire) - See all my reviews
Firstly the quality is very good it's well made and clearly will be durable, if you use the screws that come with it in wood then pre drill the holes as the heads are quite soft. It has been well thought out so you can achieve pretty well any angle you would need and the rotating parts that it adjusts on have splines so you can lock it off and it won't slip or move.
I have mounted mine at the top of an arch over a gate at the end of the garden pointing straight down, we are out in the sticks it is really dark here with no street lights and the steps down are lethal even in daylight, with it mounted this way the PIR picks up movement from about 3 feet away either side of the light and stays on long enough to get down the path which is about 50 feet and the light is surprisingly bright.
I got it at a really good price in a flash sale but even the regular price is justified, I can't speak highly enough of this product I was sceptical of it being battery powered but it's not an issue at all, I don't write reviews often and in a world where mediocrity seems the norm how nice to be able to report back on a good product like this.