Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£8.99

on 17 November 2013
I have struggled to read much of this book as it is written in diary format and the characters just do not appeal to me. I thought it might be like "st trinians" but it is nothing of the sort, so while this book may appeal to some, I cannot say I have enjoyed this book. I have read about 30 pages but I cannot see myself finishing the book just yet.

I cannot recommend this book as I have not enjoyed it, but if you are at a loss for something to read then give it a go.
on 29 July 2013
This is without doubt one of the funniest books that I have ever read

Transports the reader into a surreal yet totally believable world of formal secondary education. Anyone who has been to boarding school or grammar school (as I did in the 60's) will relate to the letters, memo's, notices and general day to day running of an 'upper' class educational establishment, trying to be seen to provide an excellent education for their pupils and at the same time to be seen to be a 'rock and pillar' in the close knit local community. The best thing is that it is brought up to date with emails, references to conflict in foreign parts, and health and safety issues.

Not many books have me laughing out loud, but this one did just that!

I will not detail any part of the book, (don't want to spoil anything) but there are recurring themes that at the beginning of the book actually pass you by. You reach a certain point where it all falls into place and you think 'Oh yes, I get that now!', and the revelation is further enhanced by 'subtle prodding' in the pre delivery; very clever.

All in all a brilliant piece of work. I read the book in 3 days and the old cliche, couldn't put it down, in this case definitely applies.
on 14 January 2013
This is a very satirical, but strangely close to the bone, collection of notes that make up St. Cretians. If you have ever worked in a boarding school, gone through a boarding school or even wondered what life was like behind those hallowed walls, then this is for you. Sharply written. Hysterical!
on 2 April 2013
Once this book arrives it was impossible to put down, and had me in stitches from beginning to end. Having gone through a boarding school experience similar to this, this book's tale was at points familiar yet with a twist. Take the detention list, for example: a great many for smoking and drinking, and the like; but then comes Graham Graham, who was given detentions through the year for acts such as 'Nailing his own 95 theses to the chapel door,' 'Threatening to burn the chaplain at the stake' and 'Heckling during chapel.'

Witty, 'laugh-out-loud' and, at times, downright bizarre, The tale of St. Cretien's College is a well-told account of a year in the system of independent education.
on 30 January 2013
Ok, so no witches or wizards, but this is what boarding school is really like. Told via the medium of private emails, detention lists, postcards from the MIA school trip to an unstable tin pot nation, staff memos, minutes of pointless meetings, library reminder notes and all the other communication channels of the 21st century boarding school still considering the merits of coming to terms with the 20th, this is great fun. An intimate, irreverent and ultimately loving portrait of all our great public schools. Mallory Towers, eat your heart out!
on 1 October 2013
Thought this would be a good a good read from description but stopped reading after about ten pages all it seemed to be was a collection of letters and e mails nothing much about college itself. Truly disappointing.
on 6 October 2013
This book is not conventional, which is why I loved it. By giving an insight into the plight of the teacher via memos, logs, emails etc, you really get to use your imagination. It was so funny but dare I say that I spotted my younger self in so many of the Saturday night detention logs (I should add that I was more Trevor Hui-Yang rather than Frederick Sallyhope)!
on 11 February 2013
Just finished this book and really enjoyed it. The concept of relaying the story through the means of school communications is brilliant and the easily creates the scene. There are some great characters throughout the book with humour that is sometimes subtle, sometimes laugh-out-loud. Really easy to relate to, even if you haven't been to a public school! Really worth a read...
on 22 October 2013
If you have ever been to or worked in an Independent school or if you have worked under the dictate of modern health and safety in any capacity then you will recognise the calamities that befall ST Cretien's as they go about their school year. This book is an insight into the daily life of a struggling school and it's staff under the thumb of a Senior management who are still working on organising that drink session at the brewery. The fantastic range of faculty and students keeps one entertained throughout the book. A great read and with all the best material is pride of place in the smallest 'office' in the house.
on 17 February 2013
Really subversive and funny. Anyone who has worked in a school will find this a hilarious satire of rules and bureaucracy.