5.0 out of 5 stars A worthy addition, 7 April 2014
R. COLGAN (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony SEL20F28 Alpha NEX Series Lens - 20mm wide angle F2.8 (Accessory)
Ok, lets get started by saying I already own the 35 mm 1.8, and 16-50mm PZ (kit lens), both Sony lenses. I've already done a seperate review for the 35mm 1.8. The 20mm seemed like a bargain for 180 quid, but was I right?

The short answer is yes. It's a beautifully compact bit of kit, it has limited scope for shallow depth shots at a max. aperture of 2.8, but I think the compromise is worth it. I have my 35mm 1.8 which I adore, but the 20mm is so small it literally would be stupid to not take it with you everywhere you take your camera!

I'm mainly a manual focus user, as I'm more into artistic photography than family snaps - with that said I've been to a party recently with this lens and I did use autofocus for that occasion, plus flash due to the indoor night-time environment, and I'm pleased to say it was generally very swift, only occasionally struggling when subjects were really close (0.5-1m). Build quality seems the same as the high quality 35mm lens, and looks really sleek and discreet on the camera. The lens hood is unusual but clever, as it adds less forward bulk, avoiding that 'I'M A PHOTOGRAPHER' look which you tend to get with regular 'petal' types. The manual focus ring is extremely narrow, which took some getting used to, but thankfully the grip is very effective so it's hard to slip enough that you can't correct yourself quickly. Manual focus is also a lot more sensitive than the 35mm counterpart by Sony, so again it takes some getting used to, but I think after a while it actually allows you to track targets coming toward/going away a little easier which can be very helpful. Pictures so far have been really hitting above what I was expecting for the money. Sharp at 2.8 and very sharp by 3.5, bokeh can be really good if you have decent distance in your isolation, and I think will be extremely useful focal length (equiv. full frame length = 30mm) for general use.

I've made some outstanding choices with the 20mm and the 35mm, mostly from reading reviews here. They've been a real cut above the kits lens in terms of quality and practicality, and this one is a total steal at 180 quid. If you can afford it, and you're into street/architecture/travel/portraits etc, get both of these lenses and in my opinion you've got yourself a quality, versatile, compact little kit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much much better than the SEL16f28, 16 Feb. 2014
I believe Sony listened to all the criticisms regarding the SEL16F28 so much so that web reviews rate it as awful.
Thus Sony launched this the SEL20f28.
At only 13/16 inches (20.4mm) 2mm shorter than the SEL16F28.
It weighs in at 2.4 oz (69g), the housed in a quality metal exterior with a silk black finish.
Its packing three aspherical lens elements correcting distortions.
Image quality in corners has been dramatically improved compared to the 16mm f/2.8 lens, as it only has one aspherical lens surface.
The 20F28 is clear and bright enough for those indoor family photo's.

With a 20mm focal length (35mm equivalent 30mm) and a bright maximum aperture of f/2.8.
The lens hood is not like any other Ive used, this has a rectangular slot in it, but can be left on the lens as protection.
Another handy feature of the hood is that it will go over a slim filter on the lens or a filter can be on the hood, or both!
"I have a Hoya UV, polarizing filter on the hood" as its can be removed with the hood to fit the adapter.

Many people have also asked on on the net if the wide angle adapter (VCL-ECU1) fits this lens
and yes it dose and nicely to. OK you don't achieve the as wide angle as you would if you fit the adapter to the 16F28
but then again the barrel distortion inst as bad or pronounced ether.
I bough this from Amazon to,
See VCL-ECU1 [Sony Ultra Wide Converter for NEX SEL16F28 Lens ]
I haven't tried the lens with the fish eye adapter (fish eye inst my thing!) But i cannot see any reason why it wouldn't fit ether.

With the wide converter on gives you
SEL20F28 x VCL-ECU1
20mm x 0.75mm = 15mm (or 22.5mm equivalent on a 35mm).
This is plenty wide enough for scenery for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great, compact, all around lens, 20 Feb. 2014
Firstly, hats off to GW Cameras for the speedy service in delivering this lens. I am very impressed.

I own the SEL16f28, which I purchased with my first NEX camera, the 5n.I thought that lens was very limited in terms of quality, hence purchasing the SEL20.

I now have the NEX 7 and this lens was tested on it

I must say that it's completely different from the previous, sub standard 16 version. The photos are sharp throughout, and I never have to correct chromatic aberration or distortions like I did with the previous model.
Autofocus is fast and accurate, even in low lit situations. I tried this both at home and outside, and the results were quite good. Pretty versatile when it comes to video too, as I think that after the SEL35f18 (at triple the price), this is probably one of the best for video. The distance on this lens makes video seem more "real" than the others, as they would be too narrow. With this lens you have a more "open" type of perspective, especially if you couple it with the wide angle adapter from Sony too (VCL-ECU1). I can confirm this works for photos and there is no heavy vignetting in the corners, but there is some, which is easily corrected in post. For video it also works fine, and there is a very slight fish eye effect to it, nothing crazy. I actually quite like it.

Photos are vivid, well contrasted and look quite natural. I tend to do more street photography than anything else, and I'm quite happy with the results. From buildings to people, to alleyways and running photos in train stations... results have been good and i'm keeping this lens! I can't see any alliasing or heavy artifacts as of yet, but then again if you go nitpicking there will be something wrong with every lens...
I have also tried panoramic shooting and really like the results, although it's not really my thing.

If there would be something i'd point out as not so good it would be the focus ring, as when i'm using manual focus this is difficult to use, as the lens is so compact. But still usable,

I am looking forward to taking more photos with this little lens, it has now become a favourite and permanent resident in my camera bag, along with the wide angle adapter. It's a great all rounder, and you can carry it without the added bulk of a bigger lens.
It does come with a front and back lid, and a lens protection cap/light shade. And better yet, the price is down to nearly half price! I don't think anyone will have a reason to complain with this low price. This lens was originally above the £300 mark when launched.

My advice is to get it and enjoy it, it's a little big performer and you won't regret it for a second. Versatility is the key word for this lens if you do both photo and video, although it works just as well for either of them.

Hope this helps!

5.0 out of 5 stars A good all round lens with improved image quality, 1 May 2013
Amazon Customer - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The 20mm offers a good balance between the amount of a scene that can be captured and the level of detail that can be seen. It is also suited to low light conditions and the lightweight nature reduces the potential for camera shake. Although it does not by definition offer the range of a zoom, the 20mmm lens satisfies a broad range of video and still shooting possibilities. In addition it provides a base for adapters to add ultra wide and fish eye lenses.

The finer detail of lens construction is always slightly beyond my grasp (three aspheric lens elements) but the results were not. Using the 16mm pancake lens as a comparison point, the 20mm gave closer-to-life colour rendition with impressive saturation in stills - and with slightly less distortion to vertical and horizontal lines. This seemed to tie in with the blurb that it `reduces distortion and aberrations around the image periphery... with improved resolution and contrast'.

The lens is very compact and can easily be placed in a pocket when camera bag space is at a premium. It is supplied with rear and front lens caps as well as a lens hood. As with most other lenses in the NEX series, this one is shipped without a case, which is a little disappointing given the RRP and the fact that it is one of many interchangeable lenses compatible with the cameras.

The hood is pre-fitted to the lens on arrival and is clearly designed with ease of use in mind as it is so sleek that it never really needs to be removed unless you want to add a convertor - which means one less piece of loose equipment to carry around in your bag and one less thing to clip into place before shooting. The hood adds little to the size or weight of the lens and the cap fits securely whilst it remains in place.

The SEL20F28 is a great lens that produces good video and still images. I really like the way the lens hood has been integrated and my only (very minor) criticism is that it would have been handy to get a case as part of the package, particularly as the lens is so small it can easily be placed in a pocket. Results have been stunning, even at lower light levels. Sometimes a zoom can provide too much choice and particularly when you need to travel light, the SEL20F28 might be the perfect solution.

4.0 out of 5 stars Early days, but..., 9 Mar. 2014
Bought myself a NEX system camera before Christmas, and have been really impressed with the picture quality. Received the lens quickly and in good condition - I've only used it a couple of times, it's not been the weather for many panoramic shots, but a great lens at a great price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Prime time, 14 May 2013
A Smile and a Wave (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This excellent little lens from Sony for their NEX range of cameras is a 20mm prime. Perfect for low light situations thanks to its wide F2.8 aperture it is a wide angle lens so it can be used to give a wide field of view - especially useful when space is restricted. For example I have been using the lens to take interior photographs at a local stately home, where I was able to include the detail of large parts of a room in one frame.

Picture quality has been excellent in all situations with this lens and its small size when fitted to my camera is impressive. Even when carried in my pocket its size is still perfectly manageable with the supplied lens caps and hood fitted (although I do think it should have been provided with a case of some sort). At 20mm its focal length is too small for everyday use but it can certainly justify being taken out with me on most trips with my camera.