Format: Audio CD|Change

Har Mar Superstar has always impressed me for his funky music and presentation - The Handler struck me as a very good album, really a lot of fun, plus it had that great photo of Har Mar's butt, the suggestion thereof at least, on the back of the disc! And this surely preceded Jake Shears' image, and is more subtle! The presentation is more minimal than the first album, with the cover image being about all you get. Har Mar still makes something out of his low-slung jeans, yet the whole thing is very ironic. The songs are also a lot of fun - with excellent sound and tunes, it sounds like a bone fide Motown album, and a very effective one at that. Restless Leg is a bit like Diana Ross's Chain Reaction, with verse one addressed to a boy and verse two to a girl, unless I've misunderstood the lyrics (which are not printed). With Har Mar anything is possible, in the best sense! Is there a bit of The Who in there as well? We Don't Sleep is a particularly cool track that defies definition, unpredictable from one bar to the next, changing tempo, undecided about its genre, even going into falsetto at odd moments of high expressiveness. His tongue is firmly in his cheek, and he doesn't want to be spanking his girl, for instance and can just air the issue straight out. Such a life-affirming approach ... modern, open, cushioning, in a word, a really fun guy. He has an appealing voice, surrounding himself with an excellent band - check out Prisoner to get the full blast of those horns - the funk, the swing of it.
on 10 July 2013
Having been a long time Har Mar fan I was really excited about this new album but also a little hesitant. I love his back catalogue, the humour the crazy beats and the fun songs - I knew this was going to be a step in a different direction.

All I can say is WOW, I absolutely love it. The tunes are so soulful and sexy. The lyrics are heartfelt and still funny. I liked it at first but after 3 listens I was hooked, Tracks 1, 2 and 10 stand out for me as some of the best songs I've heard in the last few years - absolute classics.

If you've heard of Har Mar before then buy this album, if you've never heard of him then buy this album because you're in for a funky, soul drenched treat. He has the voice of an angel and the wit of a stand-up, Har Mar; you rock.

If you ever get the chance to see him live you are in for one of the best gigs you have ever witnessed; really go check him out.
on 5 October 2013
A real surprise. This is one of those rare albums where every song is a winnner, there are no fillers. A change from his old stuff which tended to be more humourous and disco. It is a seriously good album, full of soul with a retro sound. It shows how geniunely talented he really is. I highly recommend it.
on 18 June 2013
Every song on this album is great. When's the last time you said that about a CD or download? Fun, funky songs with an old-school vibe. Horns and soul!

Give the samples a try. You'll be hooked.
on 25 October 2015
4 brilliant tracks. The others ok. Thanks for making my life better Har Mar.
on 19 May 2013
This is quite an interesting record from har mar because its certainly the most old fashioned thing he's done.When I heard it was an old school soul record I got exited as im a big fan. The music (IE instrumentation, performances, dynamics etc) are all great. Top notch horn arrangements, bass and all the rest. I dont think its quite up there with the last 3 records songwriting wise though. theres a couple of realy good tunes and nothing that I didnt like on the album but for some reason I kind of miss the modern RnB side. This is strange because I dont realy like modern RnB but when har mar does it I find it better written and performed than the successful acts of the day and its good music.
His vocals on this are overdriven which sounds quite nice but personally I would prefer them cleaner as I rate him as a vocalist. This is funny because this album is on cult records which is ran by the man from the strokes. Har mars vocals actually have the same overdriven sound thats on the first strokes album.
All in all its a good album and definately worth getting. I think he is capable of a realy impressive old fashioned soul album but he needed a couple of great songs on this to get there. As always im glad I checked it out.