Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.59

on 7 February 2013
I've read a few books on the laundries in Ireland and have felt utterly sad for these poor girls, however "For the love of my mother" It brought home how recent these terrible things happened. Above all I was left inspired by Bridie's spirit and determination to overcome unjust imprisonment.
This is a beautifully-written and deeply moving book - It is made all the more heart-warming by the fact that it is a homage from a son to a wonderful mother. It is a tear-jerker, certainly, but also a wonderfully heart-warming and uplifting book - a book about the power of hope. Definitely a must read.
on 28 March 2013
At first sight this book wouldn't be my natural choice of reading, however, recommended by a mutual friend I gave it a go.

I am so pleased that I did.

Given the failings of State, Church and Community which lead to the injustice suffered by Bridie it would have been natural, and very easy, to write a polemical memoir of bitterness and anger. But no. John Rogers rose above that, and so inspires us all to rise above the trials of life. To achieve perspective, contentment, and utterly happiness.

The newly humble Pontificate might do well to send a copy to each parish.
on 24 January 2016
A true story of what life was like in the Magdalen laundries of Ireland for single mothers, or even those women who were considered immoral, often without real reason. The author does not dwell on the misery but holds on to her determination to be re-united with her son. Very well written.
on 26 May 2016
Although it was a sad story and my heart goes out to John Rodgers, that's what happened in the 1950'- 1960'. My own Mother was evacuated in 1939 to 1945 from Manchester to live in the countryside with " caring nuns" and was treated like a dog for 6 yrs.
on 8 June 2015
amazing story, had me on tenterhooks as to whether John Paschal came back to Bridie, i almost wanted to forward to the end to see if they were reunited... wont say the outcome here incase someone is reading reviews, but a really interesting read
on 18 May 2016
Heart warming, sometimes heart breaking true story of life in Ireland for unmarried mothers. Very enjoyable, it kept me gripped till the end.
on 8 July 2014
dreary style of writing,no ear for dialogue,one dimensional characters
on 11 April 2015
This book is a brilliant read, what a brave person Bridie was.
on 19 March 2016
Really enjoyable book. Sad & inspiring
on 5 September 2014
Very enjoyable a great read