4.0 out of 5 stars This has changed my life.
I have always been a fidgeter and fiund it hard to focus. I also used to work for up to 16 hours a day sitting down as I work from home. The statistics on how that must be affecting my health were dire, so eventually I took matters into my own hands and bought this device as the cheapest of the suitable standup-sit-down desk enablers.

Since I bought it about...
Published 6 months ago by J. Clifford

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite all it seems
Published 3 months ago by Nothern Climes

4.0 out of 5 stars This has changed my life., 5 Feb 2014
J. Clifford (Birmingham UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: VARIDESK Pro (Personal Computers)

Since I bought it about 4 weeks ago I have lost 10lbs in weight. My concentration levels are way better, my appetite is a fraction of what it was and my enthusiasm for the working day has increased immeasurably. I have also noticed I have less back and neck pain and look forward to going to work for a change!

I can only say that it is the device I had been waiting for.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite all it seems, 21 May 2014
Nothern Climes (Yorkshire, UK.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: VARIDESK Pro (Personal Computers)
I bought this desk for the simple reason that as I work from home & spend a lot of time typing/browsing the Net, it was perhaps inevitable that over the years I've developed intermittent & often very painful RSI with my wrists (typing & mouse use) as well as tight shoulders & an aching lower-back. There's been a lot in the news about the detriments of long-term sitting & equally, the benefits of standing or moving about during the working day. I should add that I'm otherwise physically able & quite fit, taking regular exercise. Previously I've invested in an orthopaedic office chair, various physiotherapy-approved back supports as well as air-filled, rubber cushions & foot rests.

There's no doubt about it - this desk is well constructed & big (I got the "Pro" version as I occasionally like to use a book-rest alongside the screen to copy-type from). At the time of purchase it was only about 20 more for the bigger desk, so it seemed like a no-brainer to me - more on this below though, as it's turned out to be not quite so simple. When seated, the lower portion of the 2 "desks" slides out towards you (slightly noisily on un-greased runners it's true), so that your keyboard & mouse are accessible & then the top part of the desk has the normal desk items on it - for me this is the computer obviously, pens/paperclips, hard drives, mobile & a slip of paper or two. When standing, the lower portion tucks away & you unplug/replug your mouse & keyboard in (unless you've got long cords or wireless versions of the same) & place them on the upper desk.

All well & good...

However, a potentially major flaw in this desk construction, is the spring which "assists" the raising & lowering of the desk (for a seated to standing user & back again - because to lower it, you've also got to lift it first to free it from the ratchet mechanism). Basically, it's only strong enough if you are... I found there's a major difference of perceived desk weight (when lifting/lowering) between the desk as delivered (that is - set up on your existing desk without anything on it) & when you've got it set up with your stuff on it.

The problem is that the only way to lift & lower the top portion is to bend over the top desk & grasp the handles positioned mid-way along either side. Those of you who aren't blessed in the height department &/or with even a slightly weak back are probably going to find this very challenging indeed. As those of us with a less-than-strong lower back may already know, it's common sense when lifting to keep a straight back with the weight close to the body & use the (larger) leg muscles rather than the (smaller) back muscles (like a toddler picks up a dropped toy from the floor).

Well - irrespective of the physiotherapist-recommended lifting method, this simply isn't possible with the way the handles are placed & so I'm resigned to using my new desk either in the "up" or the "down" position, rather than risk further back pain from lifting poorly - far from ideal therefore :-(.

[I should clarify at this point that I use an 21" iMac (so nothing massive) & my separate hard drive is relatively small. On the Varidesk listing, it shows the "Pro" being used to support a similar desktop Mac as well as a laptop, so I hardly think I've overloaded it!]

For those of you who haven't tried working standing up, whilst the idea is excellent & certainly something I want to work towards, that's the whole point of an expensive desk such as this - it takes time for the body to adjust & I know that after about 30 minutes of standing, I'm ready to sit down for a while & so on, until my back & legs get stronger/more adaptable to standing for longer. So, this purchase is a bit of a disappointment for me as the whole point is the supposed ability to easily raise & lower it at intervals throughout the day - whether indicated to do so with the associated "app" or not.

I can only assume that the other customers on here who gave it glowing reviews have no back strength issues or have bought the (presumed) lighter desk with the same fitted springs (I'm guessing here). Had I known what I know now, I would have either found a store which had it set up & tested it in a real-life situation before purchase, or perhaps got the smaller version.

I was unsure whether to rate this product with 2 or 3 stars as it does seem well-constructed overall; it has a nice, hard-plastic finished coating which looks durable - although mine came with a deep scratch in the top surface of the lower desk from the Water Delivery Company & has yet to be sorted out by them over a week after delivery (they're painfully slow to respond to emails) - & the size (depth & width) is practical for the home-office environment. But whilst the money (the wrong side of 300 once you include delivery); the marketing spiel of all it taking to raise or lower being "a quick squeeze of the side handles"; & the fact that it was supplied with a bad scratch might give a lower rating, I also realise that my difficulties probably don't represent the majority. Thus I decided on 3 out of 5, if only to highlight the desk's potentially major flaw.

If Varidesk are seeking feedback - they should supply stronger springs to take into account that it's likely customers are actually going to put things on it...

Hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars It does exactly what I expected and hoped it would do., 18 Feb 2014
This review is from: VARIDESK Pro (Personal Computers)
There are a number of these now but I like this one for the following reasons:
(a) It was good value.
(b) When raised it gives a large working surface area - most don't.
(c) There is not much to go wrong with it.
(d) Contrary to what I have heard it goes up and down virtually silently.
(e) Contrary to what I have heard it is very stable when up.
(f) I didn't find the fact that the keyboard has to be shifted and doesn't have a separate raiser to be any problem at all - although a Wi-Fi keyboard and mouse might be a good idea.
(g) You don't have to set it up, it is ready to use straight out of the box - this is only a minor advantage but still quite a nice bonus.

It is a big and quite heavy piece of kit, but I had no problem with it and is really easy to manipulate once in place.
I was not interested in buying the App telling you when to get up and when to sit down - that is just a gimmick in my view.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sitting/standing desk - works perfectly and is liberating, 15 Feb 2014
Andrew G. Lawrence (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: VARIDESK Pro (Personal Computers)
I get restless working so much at my desk and had been looking for a way to work standing for a long time. I'd considered a hydraulic desk, but it seemed like overkill. The Varidesk is not cheap, but its exactly the same colour as my desk, so it blends in perfectly and it is sturdy. it takes 5 seconds to change height - once you have a system for printer, power cables etc. The best thing is that there are certain times of day, and certain jobs, when you just don't want to sit down. I actually get more done. Its the best office equipment I have bought for a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars If the idea of a standing desk appeals, this is a good place to dive in., 15 July 2014
This review is from: VARIDESK Pro (Personal Computers)
I bought one as I've been considering an affordable solution for a standing desk. I was still a little skeptical about taking the leap and putting my hand in my pocket for it though as soon as it arrived I've not regretted it for a second.

I've had it for a around a month or more now and it's a very solid piece of kit. I spend most of my day standing; I hit the ground running a lot more when I start the day standing. My energy throughout the day is much better and I find it a lot easier to get out to the gym after work as a result of not having been sedentary.

The desk surface is a decent size and I've found myself leaning on it (not too heavily though) and it doesn't feel unstable, even with a heavy computer screen on it.

In short... love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 15 July 2014
This review is from: VARIDESK Pro (Personal Computers)
used it for two weeks, stand up in the morning and sit down in the afternoon

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 July 2014
This review is from: VARIDESK Pro (Personal Computers)
Saving me a lot of discomfort.

5.0 out of 5 stars Because you're worth it, 11 July 2014
This review is from: VARIDESK Pro (Personal Computers)
Had this for 3 weeks now to deal with some serious and chronic upper spine and neck issues mostly from bad workstation ergonomics compounded by road biking. It's great. Not an unobtrusive item to have on your desk, that's for sure - though I have had one Trekkie very envious of what now looks a bit like the control deck of the starship enterprise with my 2 monitors. My neck issues create more of a Dalek-esque effect to be honest, with my kneely wheely chair :) . But back to the desk - it's good. It's hefty and solid; it's black, good quality. I'm 6'0 tall and I still need to have my monitor on a 30 cm stand on top of my desk once the varidesk is extended, [ sorted with some books and a box (in fact some of the packaging from the varidesk creatively chopped up)]. I can move it up and down with all my gubbins on it - but I am strong and I have a wide arm reach - you need to be able to reach across the breadth of it to click the handles to move it up and down and that might not be so easy if you have lower back issues, as another reviewer pointed out. As for value for money - it's not a cheap impulse buy at about 300, for sure. But if you know you've got some serious issues going on, and are going to be at the desk for much of your working life, it's worth it. In my last house I had a standing desk built in permanently over my lower desk. But this is a good compromise that does the job and would work for different height people too. And given that the whole desks made to go up and down cost about a grand, this is a fantastic bit of kit that is much cheaper than the other options available at the moment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 7 July 2014
This review is from: VARIDESK Pro (Personal Computers)
After suffering for several months/years with increasing neck problems from being sat at my desk for too long, the Varidesk has helped my posture and made working at my desk tolerable at last. I was constantly on pain killers, but now take nothing at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars easily adjustable design with loads of space for keyboard, 2 July 2014
This review is from: VARIDESK Pro (Personal Computers)
Exactly what I'd hoped for. Solid, easily adjustable design with loads of space for keyboard, laptop, mouse and big display. While the Mrs would prefer it in white, I have no problems with the look of the device. At 6' 2" I can work in comfort and actually at full stretch it is slightly too high for me. Standing up is the way to go particularly if you are deskbound most of the time and have a dodgy back but it is a matter of a couple of clicks to lower it to c.4" above desk level and sit down or use a kneeler.

VARIDESK Pro