5.0 out of 5 stars The Best
Over the years I've had several bibles. However this Collins version is the best. It's all there, plain and simple. The pages aren't divided with cryptic notes. This is the one for me
Published on 20 Sep 2011 by Jimser10

3.0 out of 5 stars Cannot find table of contents
I have the kindle version and have tried all avenues to find the table of contents. This is why only three stars.
Published 12 months ago by Peggy Lynette McKeown

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best, 20 Sep 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars this is a Best Buy, 20 July 2012
bookwormsu "thrifty" (Somerset UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Illustrated Bible: King James Version (KJV), illustrated with 400 years of Biblical art (Bible Kjv)

This is a must -have item for any household concerned with spiritual life as well as material possessions. This is fantastic value. The book comes in a slip case which is sturdy, and has an illustration on. The actual book is plain cloth bound (the picture that Amazon gives is of the book inside its slipcase which is why you see the illustration) The text is clear, and uncluttered with all those notes King James' bibles have, which impede reading. An an OAP who wears glasses for reading the text looks fine.There is a little bit of see through but hopefully I will get used to that. The version is the traditional King James which I was brought up with. There are italics to denote words the translators inserted (in 1611) to make the sense easier. The original printing of the Authorized Version used roman type to distinguish text supplied by translators, or thought needful for English grammar but not present in the Greek or Hebrew. In the first printing, the device of having different type faces to show supplied words was used sparsely and inconsistently. This is perhaps the most significant difference between the original text and the current text. When, from the later 17th century onwards, the Authorized Version began to be printed in roman type, the typeface for supplied words was changed to italics.

To me it is historically accurate as it is the one used from late 17th century until about 1970, well now really.I bought it to replace a broken backed and yellowing Family Bible bought in 1890 ish by my great grandparents. I am sorry to throw it away, but I have cut out all the entries, over three generations (four including me) and will paste them in this new book. I hope God will forgive me, we live in a practical world.

There is no mention of 400 years inside the book, but there is on the back of the slipcase. So this is a lovely thing to buy to celebrate the 400th anniversary. It is also very good price, this item has a list price of £40.

The pictures are gorgeous, and they tell you what each picture is as well. Most people in 1611 were illiterate which is why the Bible was appointed to be read in churches. They gained a lot of their knowledge from pictures. There is a little bit of see through on the paper. I find if I put a blank bit of A4 paper behind the page it helps. Now books are being printed in China we are getting this not-so-good thich papaer, although it feels a nice quality. I have looked at several bibles and I still think this one is lovely.

This book is published by Collins who have a licence from H M the Queen. Strongly recommended.

O

5.0 out of 5 stars Illustrated Bible: King James Version, 22 Aug 2011
An excellent buy at a good price. Good quality bible,decent sized print makes it easily readable, with nice illustrations. Would recommend to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE TRUE BIBLE, 13 Mar 2009
John M. Slusser II (Nantwhich, England) - See all my reviews
I am WELL PLEASED with my Collins Authorised King James Bible. I have both read and studied other so-called versions, but this is THE one. And Collins is THE company to get from. Zondervan tampers with the Word of God, Collins keeps it EXACTLY as was translated first by Tyndale and later by those who completed the work. It is refreshing, yes - refreshing, to read the King James, and it has been beautifully done up by Collins. I carry it to meeting now, and am so pleased I made this purchase. Thank you Collins, and thank you Amazon - it was the only way I found it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book and nicely presented, 5 Feb 2009
The Collins KJV is pretty much the standard KJV you can purchase in any high street bookstore and is copyright of the Crown unlike non-UK editions. The quality of the books seems very good, gold gilt edging, soft black leather and about the size of a standard paper back novel(Leather tends to be graded from Bonded, to Morroco and Calf skin with Goat skin being regarded as the best). One feature I did really like about this Collins edition is the simplicity of it, no annoying middle page cross references or footnotes or glossary of bible terms just the straightforward text of the scriptures. There is a couple of maps of the middle east at the back of the book and one or two pages at the front for marriages, births, deaths which seem unnecessary in my opinion. It was also nice to see the original dedication to the king page prior to the main text. Amazing to think in two years time the KJV will celebrate its 400th birthday. I certainly don't consider myself a KJV purist however it is certainly my preferred version. I enjoy the poetic old style English language, which almost adds to the authority although I have no idea why? I grew up reading the KJV during my Sunday school lessons with the Plymouth Brethren back in the 1970's and my COE days in the early 80's so I guess I lean more towards this translation than some of the modern transliterations. I think this edition is suitable to any one who would like to read it regardless of beliefs.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cannot find table of contents, 24 July 2013
This review is from: The Holy Bible - King James Version - (with Direct Verse Access) (Kindle Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars great buy, 6 Aug 2012
beautiful bible, great illustrations fantastic buy, very happy with bible plus price. worth every penny really happy came in box too.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars, 11 May 2012
this was a good buy, it came on time and i was impressed with the leather cover an book mark which comes in handy,thumbs up from me

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointed, 28 Jun 2013
only purchased this item because of the direct verse access, but unable to use it for some reason it only registers page location which is an impossibility to know. there does not appear a facility to get into the verse as advertised if anybody knows what to do please advise

5.0 out of 5 stars You get the bible in it's purest form., 11 Feb 2010
This bible was not quite what i expected. I did expect some things, such as titles above paragraph's, and even paragraphs themselves!
With this bible you do indeed get just that, a bible. In its truest and purest form it is simply the word of God. It has a section at the front for Family Marriages, Deaths and Births .etc and a little section about King James too. At the back are maps marking all the specific places in the bible, along with the routes some of the Gospels took.
All in all it's a nice bible, it comes with a nice hard cover to slide your bible into and keep it safe from harm. The bible cover is a very nice leather texture and the bible feels nice to hold and to read. If you want a Simple King James Version Bible, get this one. If you want a bible with red letter text, titles, references .etc then you should probably look elsewhere.