4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars
Published 2 months ago by Noodles

1.0 out of 5 stars This sucks
Published 12 months ago by Amanda Stephenson

1.0 out of 5 stars This sucks, 19 Sep 2013
This review is from: Vax C88-P5-P Power 5-Pet Bagless Cylinder Vacuum - 2.5L (Kitchen & Home)
This is the worst designed vacuum cleaner I have ever had. Whilst the suction is excellent, everything else about it is atrocious. The hose only swivels at one end, so constantly folds. The filters need washing and take 2 days to dry, so you can't use your vacuum for the duration - and mine seems to need doing almost every time I've vacuumed. You actually need 2 sets of filters, but only one is supplied. My daughters long hair gets wrapped around the internal filter, so that needs sorting out frequently. Basically, it needs maintenance during and after every use. I also don't like having to tap the dust out of the filters if I've just cleaned the dust up, I don't want to be covered in it. It is a pain in the arse. There is no manual which comes with it, and the online one is mostly about care of the filters. I've spoken to Vax, and they say because it is single cyclonic it will take more maintenance. Is that their way of saying 'we know this is a bit crap'?
I've struggled along with this for 4 months, it puts me in a bad mood every time I use it and I wish I'd never bought it. I want a bagged vacuum again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Junk, 15 Nov 2013
B. Towns (Southampton, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I have NEVER been so dissatisfied with a purchase - EVER.

This is biggest heap of junk I have ever owned. Completely useless after a couple of months - plastic parts breaking, hardly any suction - in my opinion it should be recalled and everyone refunded. I feel conned it is so poor.

I cannot give this rubbish few enough stars - 1 is far too many.

I will NEVER purchase VAX again.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS!

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, do not buy!, 26 Sep 2013
This vacuum started off with good suction but after as little as 2 months it lost its suction.
I bought this vacuum because it had so many fantastic reviews on Argos website but I have tried everything to work out why it has lost its suction and I cannot find anything wrong. I only have a small house and one cat but this hoover really is rubbish.
I have to agree with the lady who said that this hoover is a pain in the arse and I wish I had never wasted money on it. The hose is also very cheap and weak and hair constantly gets tangled around the filter. I have sent an email to Vax about the problems so we'll see if they reply, if they do it will probably only be to tell me to check all the things i've already checked a 100 times. I'm so angry about having to use this hoover at all that it looks like I will have to search for a new one already! If you are considering buying this vacuum DON'T.

1.0 out of 5 stars FLAWED at EVERY stage of the design. AVOID VAX. Read on for a better vacuum., 30 Aug 2014
What others are saying is true: this is the WORST-designed vacuum I've ever used. It couldn't possibly have gone through any real quality control in VAX, and so between that and the design, I (like others here!) will never by a vax product again. There is NO WAY that Vax could have considered this a valid product, if they're a remotely organised company (althought I doubt they are organised). It's SUCH a BLATANT rip-off, that despite being a very emotionally stable person, I actually felt PHYSICALLY sick thinking about how much I'd been taken on with this, from what's supposed to be a respectable company.

So yes, it's HORRIBLY designed. The actual motor is powerful. However, that is NOT because it's a great motor, but because it's ran beyond its capacity. It is OVER-powered, in the sense that it overheats at the power it's driven at, so it will cut out if ran for too long, and then it needs half an hour to cool down, before it'll work again.

The motor is also EXTREMELY loud -- I mean, "Can I ever use this without upsetting the neighbors" loud. It's like a jet engine, as others said. That might SOUND cool, but it's NOT a good thing, when other vacuums do MUCH MORE with MUCH LESS volume (and less fuss, but we'll get to that).

Besides the motor, the intake / flow system has SERIOUS flaws. The hose/air goes in the bottom, at the front of the dustbin, then turns through a couple of tight bends, then goes in the side of the dust bin. The tried-and-tested designs of many other vacuums have the host go DIRECTLY into the bin, and the difference is clear: those turns get clogged OFTEN -- like, every 2 minutes, and so, even with usable air filters, the suction doesn't even make it to the hose. But trust me, you WON'T have usable air filters in this thing. We'll get to that too.

The next problem, assuming the intake of air / dirt reaches the bin is... the bin. This is a TINY space, mostly filled with the cyclone contraption. The cyclone contraption is a Rube Goldberg machine -- look it up, but worse: one that simply does not fulfill its function. Look up Rube Goldberg machines, then avoid this. And Vax. Forever.

If you're still reading (WHY?!? Go buy another vacuum, from another manufacturer!!)... then, OK, so the problem with the cyclone contraption is twofold. First is that it does NOTHING useful. Literally, NOTHING. I know this, because I've removed it. We'll get to that.

The second problem is that it does lots of things that AREN'T USEFUL. It reduces space in the bin (not that you'll ever be able to operate this vacuum long enough to fill the bin!!). It accepts large items of dirt from the bin, because it has no filter at that intake. Then it spins the dirt around a tiny passage of tight corners, where the dirt gets jammed. And then it keeps it. Until you not only open the bin and clean the bin, and the entrance to this cyclone, but you take the whole vacuum / filter assembly apart, and clean shove your fingers in, then find something longer, more flexible, yet stronger, and clean it top to bottom. Remember: this is every few minutes. Sorry, did you want to clean your entire HOUSE top-to-bottom? Hahha... no. Not with this thing.

Then there are the filters. There are three of them: one AFTER all the cyclone sillyness, where in the silver part at the top of the bin. If this gets clogged, there is NO suction. And it gets clogged all the time, because it's the only filter that actually filters much. It's a VERY fine-grained filter, and large particles of dirt reach it (again, bad design of the bin, cyclone-gimmick, etc.), so it clogs in no time.

The second filter is AFTER the bin, before the motor. It's LARGE-grained, like a very large-holed sponge. This is BACKWARDS, because the smaller-grained filter is already jammed with dust, so how are larger items going to reach this and get filtered? Stupid. But OK, maybe that's just a backup filter.

Then there is a post-motor filter. OK, I suppose. Maybe it's there to stop flames shooting out of the overheating motor, or something. It's certainly hot enough that flames could be on the other side of it! But I think, if the motor has stuff in it that's so big and dirty that it needs filtered on the way OUT, your motor is going to die. If it doesn't die from being driven beyond capacity and overheating, I mean.

WHY is there no filter at the bin-intake, to prevent large items reaching the cyclone gimmick? WHY all the bendy-paths that you can't clean? WHY is there a cyclone gimmick at all, when it's clearly not doing anything -- to pretend that their products are competitive Dyson's, I suspect!

Three days after buying this, I completely gave up on it, threw it in the shed, and, after much research, bought a Henry vacuum instead. The difference is STAGGERING. And here's why: Henry vacuums are WELL-DESIGNED. They're made by the same company, and are almost identical to, the similarly shaped "Numatic" commercial vacuums you see used by cleaners in office buildings etc. Their design is very simple -- no cyclone gimmicks -- they have a large bin, with an intake DIRECTLY into the bin. That bin collects the dirt. Large items fall to the bottom. Above that bin, there is a BIG, first stage, large-grained filter. That gives lots of space for dirt to be filtered, and to collect, and lots of space for air-flow. Then there is the second-stage filter, which filters out finer dust, protects the motor, etc. Then there is the motor, with a big fan that is almost the the SAME SIZE as the bin diameter. Larger fans create MORE air flow, with LESS noise. Note the difference in this Vax's design! Note ALL the differences. Henry vacuums use a tried and tested, no gimmicks, design. By contrast, this Vax thing is pure gimmicks: no worthwhile innovation, just things they can slap on the box / webpage, to get your money. Horrible. Unethical. I'd go so far as to say: fraud.

In short: this product is so bad, it's INSULTING. Again, I will NEVER buy another Vax product, because this one tells me all I ever need to know about the company. Buy a Henry, or a Dyson. You'll be save yourself SO much stress and aggravation.

Oh, I meant to add how I know that the cyclone thing is just a gimmick: today, about two years after throwing it in the shed, I decided to give it another try. It was as useless as ever. So I took to its internals with a mini grinder, cutting out the cyclone thing to start with. The suction was IDENTICAL, except that it was now easier to clean. Dirt still got jammed in the stupid intake that curves multiple times before it reaches the bin, though. So I blocked that intake, and cut a new intake in the side of the bin. It DOES work better now, but not much, because the stupid one-size-fits all main filter still blocks FAR too frequently.

1.0 out of 5 stars save yourself---dont buy, 18 Jun 2014
worst vacumn i've ever had. extremely high maintance, has to be stripped cleaned and rebuilt every 2-3 times its used. loses suction quickly if filter hasn't been cleaned, and sounds like a jet engine, better off with a brush and pan.

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT......, 6 April 2014
This is the worst vacuum cleaner I have ever owned. The design is fundamentally flawed and I couldn't agree more with the first reviewer as I have experienced identical problems I.e "The hose only swivels at one end, so constantly folds. The filters need washing and take 2 days to dry, so you can't use your vacuum for the duration - and mine seems to need doing almost every time I've vacuumed. You actually need 2 sets of filters, but only one is supplied. My daughters long hair gets wrapped around the internal filter, so that needs sorting out frequently. " ditto, ditto, ditto. Should be withdrawn from sale.

1.0 out of 5 stars Short LEAD !!!!!, 6 Mar 2014
Well i'am impressed by the suction but the cheapness of this product is unreal . The hose kinks at the slightest chance and the lead is so short it has to be plugged into every room. Why would VAX not try to keep up there standard's like they used to have I do not know such a shame . So will be putting this one to shed duty's and bring back the good old HENRY to carry on house duty again sorry VAX but no star's for this but have to give you one

1.0 out of 5 stars I hate it, 9 Sep 2014
Pretty much the same as everyone else says. A total piece of junk.
Shame on you, Vax.